Okeke Chiamaka holds a B.sc in Sociology and Anthropology from Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Agbani.
Being stressed can be demanding emotionally and physically as well. Stress sucks out energy in us and makes to be less productive in our jobs. It can also affect other areas of our lives.
A person who is stressed usually find no joy in performing a task. Submitting totally to the reigns of stress over your life is not advisable. You do have power to manage and control stress in your life. This means that stress has no control over you unless you let it.
You can control your stress.
SIMPLE STRESS MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES
There are simple ways you can manage stress. These are detailed and practical ways stress can be effectively managed. You should know that you have greater control at managing stress than it has over you.
Stress managing steps are:
1. KNOW YOUR STRESSORS: You can not eliminate an unknown enemy and the same applies to successful stress management. You have to list the things that usually cause you stress. these are called stressors. It could be that you are going through a rough moment in your life, you have a demanding job, dealing with kids, and unending house chores. It could also be you. Yes, you might unconsciously trigger stress yourself, if you put a doing things that needed to be done. And when it compounds; it turns into a workload, thereby stressing you. As you make a list of your stressors, make sure to write how you felt and how you reacted to each stressor. This will enable you to develop a workable solution.
2. EXERCISE: Exercise does wonders not only on the physical body but also releases Endorphines. Endorphin is the feel-good hormone.
Exercising more than 30 minutes a day will help relieve you of stress. It is not advisable to be completely dormant, it will weigh you down. The more you exercise, the more you are relieved of stressors.
3. EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT: Proper time management not only makes your life less stressful but also gives you a clear head to take on and tackle the task at hand. Effective time management works best if you list out things you would likely want to accomplish in your day and prioritize them effectively. And if there is any big task to be done, then break it into smaller workloads and then tackled them bit by bit. Also, remember don't over list it.
Consider assigning some things to other persons you are with or you are working with. Be it your spouse partner, teammate, employee, your child, etc.
4. DON'T NEGLECT SLEEP: With all these stressors, you might think that the last thing on your mind is to sleep. The truth remains that you will experience a lack of concentration when you're overly stressed. And you're most likely not to perform at a much more productive level.
5. MAKE HEALTHIER LIFE CHOICES: It is no news that practicing unhealthy life choices stresses you and also negatively harm you. Unhealthy life choices can be one or a combination of these habits:
A. High intake of sugar
B. Consuming junk food always,
C. Drinking too much caffeine,
D. Smoking cigarettes,
F. Drinking of alcohol etc
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Okeke Chiamaka