There are so many different things in life that people are proud of. They are proud of their graduation from different levels of education. They are proud of their marriages and the births of their children. They are proud about getting new jobs or moving to a location where they’ve always wanted to live. Whenever someone we know experiences one of those moments of pride, it’s up to us to tell them “congratulations”. What you may not realize is that there are actually lots of ways that we can say congratulations to people on these different occasions.
Here’s a look at 20 ways to say congratulations:
1. Give them a pat on the back. This is the most stereotypical way to give your congrats to someone but it’s still one of the best. Give them a hug and a pat on the back. Say “congratulations”. This is practically a universal way of letting them know that you’re happy for them.
2. Send a congratulations card. There are greeting cards available for every occasion and that includes all of the occasions that there are to give someone congratulations. You can find a car relevant to the event (such as a graduation card) or use a general congratulations card to let someone know that you’re proud for them.
3. Send flowers. A lot of people really enjoy receiving flowers. You can send them for any occasion but it’s so much better to get them as a congratulations gift than to get them for some of the other reasons (such as “get well”) that people send flowers.
4. Write a letter about their accomplishments. A really personal way to express your congratulations is to write a letter describing why you’re proud of the person’s accomplishments. A letter about why someone is going to make a great spouse is a good gift for a wedding congratulations and a letter about someone’s great job skills is suitable when someone gets a new job.
5. Buy them a round. If you’re taking everyone out to celebrate something then share your congratulations about the occasion by buying a round of drinks for everyone at the table.
6. Give a celebratory toast. You may not be able to afford a round of drinks for everyone but you can certainly raise up your own glass and offer a toast. Let the whole room know why you’re giving your congratulations to someone else.
7. Give them a congratulations gift. There are a lot of gifts out there that are specifically designed to offer congratulations for different occasions. There’s nothing wrong with getting a gift that already says what you want to say. Balloons, teddy bears, picture frames and personalized office supplies are all examples of these gifts.
8. Give them money or a gift card. If the person that you want to congratulate is a family member then it’s often appropriate to congratulate them with a bit of cash.
9. Take them shopping for something they need now. If you don’t like the idea of giving money then make a day of it and take them shopping. Someone who just got a new job may need a new tie; someone with a new baby needs diapers.
10. Bake something for them. The way to many people’s hearts is through their stomachs. Bake a treat for someone and send it over to them as a congratulations present.
11. Write a poem or song. Celebrate your own creative energy while offering congratulations to someone else. People often love receiving this kind of congratulations because it’s so unique from what you usually get.
12. Create a scrapbook for them. Another creative thing that you can do to celebrate someone’s proud accomplishments is to get it down in pictures. Create a scrapbook that highlights all of the important moments leading up to the reason that you’re congratulating someone. For example, a scrapbook of great high school memories is a good gift to congratulate someone who is about to graduate from high school.
13. Make a home video. Yet another creative option is to make a home video that shows off the accomplishments that are being celebrate. Get as many friends and family members (or co-workers) to speak on the video as possible and then give it to the recipient with your congratulations.
14. See if you can help each other out. Sometimes the best way to congratulate someone is to see if there’s something they can do for you. Sounds crazy doesn’t it? But it’s not. A good example is when someone starts a new job. You can say your congratulations by becoming one of their first clients. Everyone wins!
15. Offer your advice. Another thing that we can do is to offer advice about our own experiences. For example, we can give a high school graduate tips about college or we can offer marriage suggestions to a newly married couple. Of course, we should go poking around too much in other people’s business but if we do this appropriately it can be a great way of offering our congratulations. It’s almost like initiating someone into a life experience that you’ve already had.
16. Spread the word. One thing that we don’t do enough is to tell others how proud we are of someone. Spread the word about the reason that you’re interested in giving congratulations to someone and that’s a gift in and of itself.
17. Donate to a charity. You can make a donation to a charity in someone else’s name. Let them know that you did this as a way to congratulate them. The charity should be relevant to the celebration. For example, you may donate to a school program to celebrate someone who has just graduated from college.
18. Simply say congratulations. Some occasions don’t call for a big to-do. Simply saying “congratulations” is acceptable at these times. If you want to get fancy then you can learn to say congratulations in another language.
19. Emails and text messages. In some cases, it’s even appropriate to send our congratulations through email, text message or social networking sites. Use your common sense to determine if this is a smart thing to do or not.
20. Be there to help with the change. Any cause for congratulations usually means that change is afoot – school is ending or a marriage is beginning, for example. You may not have to say anything at all but rather can express your congratulations by being there to help with the change as it happens.
loveprinsca on May 03, 2013:
thanks for a good reminder of the importance of congratulate and the qreat tips
www.bornhunters.com on March 26, 2012:
The brown bear can reach a maximum weight of 440kg(the male); he is heavier during autumn, before entering the lair, while during spring, right before the vegetation starts to appear, he reaches his lowest.
The hair color varies on a large scale, from brown-grey to dark-brown, while sometimes it can be almost black; some of the brown bears, especially the younger ones have white spots on the neck, called collar or bead, which in reality isn’t an enclosed circle. For some of them the collar disappears in time while for others it stays the same. Their most frequent color of a brown bear is, of course, brown. During winter the fur reaches a size of 8-9 cm, while in the summer period it varies between 4 and 6. The fur is most valuable in the months of March and April, while during autumn it becomes less valuable because of it’s reduced size and low density. This specie sheds in the months of June and July.
Out in the field, you can’t tell the male apart from the female. The maximum age they can get to is of 30-35 years.
Queen on February 28, 2012:
Always attempt to give any present to him or her
Eng osaretin ken on October 21, 2011:
my way of saying CONGRATULATIONS for a very thoughtful is just 16 ways
Cabdiraxiim Caymis on August 10, 2011:
thanks for sharing this link and remebering how to say congralution to some one you respect
Taha on April 13, 2011:
Hey.. thanks for sharing.
I am actually going to use your tips as I need to congratulate my ex boss as he got a new job today.
thehemu from New Delhi, India on April 10, 2011:
that's great hub. I like the #12 and #13. You can go these way when some special one achieved the feat.
Ikeji Chinweuba from Nigeria on March 28, 2011:
Wonderful and very interesting article,thanks.
speedbird from Nairobi, Kenya on February 25, 2011:
Sure, this is insightful, Keep it up!
Zoe Boo on January 26, 2011:
Marvelous! A little appreciation (of any kind) makes a difference in every person's life. It supplies happy stamina.
ESG Consulting from Canary Wharf, London, Bromley and Kent on January 18, 2011:
People SHOULD congratulate one another more - and this gives us plenty of ways. It's nice to read someone's work and feel the real benefit it can bring. Nice job. X
ChilliWilly from Kaunas, Lithuania on January 18, 2011:
Oh very nice hub, thanks for sharing! :)
afinegirl on December 15, 2010:
tnks real gud stuff
christine almaraz from colorado springs on October 27, 2010:
"Congrats" on a well written and thoughtful hub.
invita from Tampa, FL on October 21, 2010:
This is so nice. People often forget to congratulate people, or they don't know how to go about it.
Georgie98 from UK on October 01, 2010:
I think is 19 ways to say congrats. I don't believe offering advice is a form of congratultions. It's just amateur counselling from someone you trust.
multimastery on August 24, 2010:
Hi Kathryn nice tips.. I will vote your hub UP as my way of saying CONGRATULATIONS for a very thoughtful hub:)
kandrawe from Tropical Country on August 02, 2010:
i love this hub.
lahoriamplifier from Lahore on July 29, 2010:
nice hub i think i should try
minesgm from Texas on July 14, 2010:
Nice hub! Congratulations! Mimi
ezzy1512 on May 18, 2010:
Great hub. Thanks for the insight.
creativeMind from Cochin on May 18, 2010:
Linda Todd from Charleston on April 19, 2010:
Very delightful ways to say congratulations.
Kelly Kline Burnett from Madison, Wisconsin on February 27, 2010:
Have bookmarked for future reference - excellent!
Francine Smith on September 17, 2009:
Close the blinds and put on something see-thru ;-)
egraveski on September 16, 2009:
Thanks for a good reminder of the importance of congratulating and the great tips!
cdrates on September 15, 2009:
#21 fly across the country to see them :)
glendoncaba from Somewhere in the hubverse on August 30, 2009:
This is good stuff. Thanks.
DeBorrah K Ogans on August 26, 2009:
Congratulations on a Great Hub with great ideas!
Dolores Monet from East Coast, United States on July 20, 2009:
Great tips. I really like #20. To help out with a new move or a new baby or whatever is sincere and greatly appreciated.
jayb23 from India on July 09, 2009:
Great Hub. These are some lovely tips. I will be using them in future. Cheers
dohn121 from Hudson Valley, New York on July 08, 2009:
Great hub. I especially like the part about writing a hand-written letter. Conventional etter writing is dying more each day with the advent of text messaging, twitter, e-mail and whatever else is out there ( the writer says, as he continues typing away on his FANCY keyboard). One other way to say Congrats is to give the person YOURSELF that is so as it's your better half...Heck, it doesn't cost anything! Sometimes, the best things in life are free.
Kevin Peter from Global Citizen on July 02, 2009:
Can you tell me the 20 ways to say congratgulation to hubber......
according to me....
1 give a comment
3.give him traffic from my blog and forums
4.give him money support by using adsense and ebay