We usually use the internet for many things nowadays: we try to work, read the news, keep in touch with others, pay bills, etc. But in the past few years, some of us are also trying to find their better half online. Without doubt, this is a fast growing trend as we have less time to go out and relax – and also to meet someone new in this accelerated world.
In the following you can read some fun and interesting facts, tips and statistics about online dating and relationships in general that can be found on the internet. I hope that a few of these will surprise you – as they surprised me too – and some will make you laugh.
Of course I can’t guarantee that these figures are 100% sure and reliable (some of these could have been just made up by some people who say they are scientists – no offense), so read these points by bearing this in mind. Have fun!
Here We Go
1. Best first date: have a drink somewhere, and maybe dinner afterwards.
2. On the first date a restaurant is always a good choice, surveys show that Italian restaurants are the most preferred on these occasions.
3. Most important to people in an online profile are the’About me’ (55%) and the ‘Pictures’ section (45%). So sometimes pictures really worth a thousand words.
4. Despite this, about one third of online daters do not upload a profile picture to their online dating profile.
5. People who do upload a picture are better be uploading photos with which they can enhance their qualities and make themselves unique – meanwhile they still look attractive of course. Pictures about hobbies can give a great spark to conversations when meeting each other in person.
6. After the ‘About me’ and the ‘Pictures’ section on a dating profile the most important for online daters is the geographical location and the age of the potential partner.
7. When looking for a potential partner online, some of the most important dealbreakers are: smoking, drinking, political views, religious views, education, racial background and children.
8. 51% of all online dating people are in a relationship, only 21% are really single and 11% are married.
9. 80% of online daters know someone who found love on the internet – this is a great motivation for most of them.
10. About 50% of all people on the world know someone who dated someone they met on the internet. Out of them, about 30% knows more than one person.
11. 9% of online daters are registered on 3 or more online dating sites.
12. The average time of courtship before marriage is much shorter when two people meet online than in person (online: 18 months, offline: 42 months).
13. About 10% of the population use online dating sites to find love.
14. In 2010 17% of married couples met online.
15. In the UK the volume of Google searches on mobile phones about dating grew by more than 200% year by year since 2008.
16. 36% of adults admit that they broke up with someone because of their looks – out of this: 31% of men and 12% of women dumped their partner because they were overweight.
17. There are about 3 million first dates every day on the whole world.
18. The 3 main reasons of break-ups: 1: lost interest, 2: distance, 3: cheating.
19. 56% of all adults claim to have an unhappy sex life.
20. 5,4% of adult people die without ever getting married.
21. Chinese people use online dating sites the most (aound 140 million people) – more than the rest of the world combined.
22. eHarmony and Match.com are two of the most known dating sites on the whole world.
23. Some surveys in the USA state the average age of an online dater is 48 years, meanwhile other statistics show that nearly 50% of all online daters aged between 18-34 – I guess this latter one is much closer to the truth.
24. About 52% of online daters are male, 48% are female – so we definitely can’t say it is a sausage fest :)!
25. One out of 10 users (so 10%!) are only present on dating sites to scam others.
26. One out of 10 users deletes their profile within 3 months.
27. In the USA, women lie the most about: 1. weight, 2. overall outlook, 3. age - on their online dating profile.
28. In the USA, men lie the most about: 1. age, 2. height, 3. income - on their online dating profile.
29. In general on the whole world: men tend to lie a lot about how many partners they had and what kind of relationship are they looking for in their online dating profiles.
30. On average, women lie less on their online dating profile than men do.
31. One out of 3 women who met someone online had sex on the first date – and 80% of them did not use protection!
32. One out of 10 sex offenders use online dating to meet other people – so beware! Also, about 3% of online dating men are psychopaths. Still, we can’t say that online dating is dangerous – at least it is not more dangerous than ‘regular’ dating.
33. Many women who use online dating are most afraid to meet one of the above mentioned freaks and/or serial killers.
34. Meanwhile men said they are afraid of commitment and of women who won’t allow them free time or to meet with their friends whenever they want.
35. New couples usually tend to wait 6-8 dates until they ’get to know each other better’ – if you know what I mean :).
36. New couples usually break up in 3-5 months after they got together.
© 2012 Sophie
Share your opinion!
Yves on November 23, 2014:
A wonderful synopsis about on-line dating. #8 really got my attention. Yikes!! Regarding women lying about their weight, it makes sense. My brother has said that out of all the women he has dated on-line, none were the weight they claimed to be. In other words, their pic were either old or photo-shopped. Ladies, you really need to fess up. He's gonna see you in person, so you may as well tell the truth beforehand!
atkin12 on September 07, 2014:
I live in Ireland and have little success with online dating in my home country . They are just curious and looking for chat usually.I travel to Asia to meet women from online dating sites.
buscarpareja on May 03, 2013:
Wow, that is a really nice article. As an online dating website, there was a lot of facts that we didn't know about. Thanks for sharing it.
Sophie (author) from United Kingdom on August 06, 2012:
Yay, nice, happy anniversary then! :)
Even I know many people who found love on the internet (including myself) and all of these couples are on the right track: they are either married or are planning the wedding.
And I am married for almost 2,5 weeks now :). So long live the internet! :)
UltimateMovieRankings from Virginia on August 06, 2012:
Well I met my wife via....Yahoo Personals....that was 7 years ago....and two kids ago.....we just celebrated our anniversary last Friday(August 3rd)...and we are still going strong. So I hope this will add to the 80% of people that know about somebody falling in love on the internet(#9)....awesome hub.