Loves sharing tips and techniques which she feels would help others out there looking for advice.
Choosing a first dance wedding song can be stressful for some couples. You want to pick a song that you can reminisce about in the years to come when you think about your wedding day.
When you decide to choose a first dance wedding song, the choices available are endless. Some couples might like to choose a first dance wedding song sung by a band, others might prefer one from a certain year, while some couples might like an instrumental song.
When choosing a first dance wedding song you need to choose a song that both partners will enjoy dancing too. Don’t pick a classical song if you have to do a waltz when you know you won’t have time to accomplish that.
Others might prefer to pick the shortest song possible so they don't have to dance for too long. Some couples might prefer to stick to tradition and pick a song that has some meaning to their family. It could be the first dance song that their parents and grandparents danced to when they got married. Each couples will have different reasons for choosing their first dance song.
But when choosing the first dance song, it needs to be a joint efforts and the music tastes and needs of both partners should be considered.
5 Things You Need to Consider When Picking a First Dance Wedding Song
1. Length of the song
Some couples love dancing in front of others while other couples or even one of the partners might feel overwhelmed about having to dance for even a minute in front of their family and friends. For the first dance both partners need to be considerate to each other needs, so opt for the first dance song to be as short as possible and no more that three minutes.
While most of us don't often know the meaning of the song lyrics, you also don't want to choose a song that has raunchy lyrics or a song that is about a partner dying either. So try to pick a first dance song that is either fun, has some meaning to the lyrics or one that you both just like.
3. Don't be Swayed by Others
Don't let others dictate what type of song you should pick for your first dance. Some people might think that what they choose for their wedding song is the same one you should use for yours. Remember when picking a song; choose one that you are both comfortable dancing to, or one that takes you to a time and place in your life together or one that means something to both of you.
4. Choose any Decade
You don't always have to pick a song that is currently in the Top 100 playlist. If you like songs from previous decades then pick that one. Just remember to pick a song that you both will like. Also many of the older songs can have more meaning to them that what is currently popular.
If one of the partners can't dance, or doesn't feel comfortable dancing in front of others, then do not choose an upbeat tempo. Choose something that is slow and easy to dance to. Introduce upbeat music later on for the wedding set dance list and hit the dance floor with your friends instead for those fast songs.
First Dance Wedding Songs Sung by Men
- Tyler Shaw - With You
- Forest Blakk – If You Love Her
- Keith Urban – Love Somebody Like You
- Noah Schnacky - I’ll Be The One
- Ben Howard - Only Love
- Marc Anthony - I Need You
- Howie Day – Collide
- Candelion -Write You A Love Song
- Kolby Knickerbocker - How I’m Failing In (Instrumental)
- Dylan Brady - Fallen
First Dance Wedding Song Playlist
- Wedding Dance Songs - YouTube
100 Wedding Songs List. A selection of songs sung by men, woman and bands and duets. There is also a selection of classical songs, instrumental songs and son...
First Dance Love Songs
- Ed Sheeran - Kiss Me
- Will Gittens – A Day Without You
- James Arthur – Say You Won’t Let Go
- Jacob Lee – I Belong To You
- Landon Austin - Once in a Lifetime
- Christian Burrghardt – Safe Place to Land
- Michale Buble – Everything
- Brian Fallen- You Have Stolen My Heart
- Ray LaMontagne - You Are The Best Thing
- Billy Joel – Just The Way You Are
First Dance Wedding Songs Sung by Bands
- Riley and the Roxies – Make it Right
- Vance Joy - Fire and the Flood
- Rascal Flatts - Your If You Want It
- Lifehouse – You and Me
- Kodaline – The One
- Boundary Run - Ready to Fall
- Dan & Shay – Speechless
- Volunteer – Forever, I Am Yours
- Lone Star –Amazed
- Lady A – I Need You Now
A survey in 2019 of 18,000 Americans found that the most popular first dance songs were Dan + Shay's Speechless, Kane Brown's - Good as You and Lukas Graham's - Love Someone.
Classic First Dance Wedding Songs
- Nat King Cole – L-O-V-E
- Gloria Gaynor – I Can’t Take My Eves off You
- Elvis Presley – Can’t Help Falling In Love With You
- Etta King – At Last
- Natalie Cole – This Will Be An Everlasting Love
- Nat King Cole – Unforgettable
- George Benson – In Your Eyes
- The Beatles – I Wanna Hold Your Hand
- Tony Bennett – The Way You Look Tonight
- Ray Charles - Come Rain or Come Shine
Instrumental First Dance Wedding Songs
- Roary - Threads
- Ronan Hardiman – Celtic Dream
- Zachary David – Breaking the Delusion of Control
- Generdyn - Greatest Love
- Thomas Bergersen - Empire of Angels (Sun)
- Yanni – Nightingale
- Sheng Zhongguo- A Song of Moon Over Mount Emei
- Richard Clayderman The Butterfly Lovers
- Ludovico Einaudi - Experience
- Adrian Walther - It's My Life
Classical First Dance Wedding Songs
- Johann Pachelbel – Canon In D Major
- Yo-Yo Ma ft Kathryn Stott - The Swan
- Kim Bomsori - Saint-Saëns Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, Op.28
- Hilary Hahn - J.S. Bach: Partita for Violin Solo No. 1 in B Minor
- Ophélie Gaillard Bach: Prélude, Cello suite Nr.1
- Dennis Brain - Felix Mendelssohn A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op.61 - No.7 Nocturne
- Valentina Lisitsa - Beethoven Moonlight Sonata Op.27 No.2 Mov.1,2,3
- Rousseau - Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers
- Europa Philharmonic Orchestra - - J.Strauss: The Blue Danube OP 314
- Vadim Chaimovich - Chopin - Nocturne op.9 No.2
First Dance Wedding Songs Sung by Woman
- Chantal Kreviazuk – Feels Like Home
- Steffany Gretzinger - We Dance
- Lauren Daingle – You Give Me Everything
- Hailey Reingart - Heros
- Sara Bareilles – I Choose You
- Colbie Caillat – Falling for You
- Nora Jones – Come Away With Me
- Ella Henderson - Yours
- Jasmine Rae - When I Found You
- Ellie Goulding – Your Song
First Dance Wedding Songs With Wedding Lyrics in Them
- Train – Marry Me
- Jason Derulo - Marry Me
- Meghan Trainer - Marry Me
- Timi Dakolo - The Vow
- Kenny G – The Wedding Song
- Matt Nathanson - Wedding Dress
- RuthAnne - The Vow
- Bruno Mars – Marry You
- Betty Who – Marry Me
- Shane Filan - Beautiful in White
Spotify- Top Wedding Songs By State 2017
Washington - Get Low by Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz
Connecticut - Can’t Help Falling in Love by the Jordanaires, Haley Reinhart
Arizona -Just to See You Smile by Tim McGraw
Nevada- Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum
West Virginia -Take Me Home Country Roads by John Denver
New Jersey Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
Spotify- Top Wedding Songs By State 2018
Washington, DC — May We All by Florida Georgia Line
Connecticut — You're My Darling by Leon Timbo
Arizona — Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
Nevada — Never Stop (Wedding Version) by Safety Suit
Virgina - Mary Me by Train
New Jersey — Marry You by Bruno Mars
The top first dance song according to a poll of 5,000 recently married couples in the United Kingdom found that 14% of couples choose Ed Sheeran's song, Perfect as their first dance song
First Dance Wedding Song Duets
- Us The Duo - No Matter Where You Are
- Yanivi featuring Bella Potchy – Rock This Joint
- Jimmy Holligan featurilng Brianna – Pull Me In
- Moira & Nieman – Promise
- Aloe Blacc & LeAnn Rimes - I Do
- Reneé Dominique ft. Jason Mraz - Could I Love You Any More
- Ed Sheeran featuring Beyonce - Perfect
- Diana Ross featuring Lionel Richie – Endless Love
- Labrinth featuring. Emeli Sandé - Beneath Your Beautiful
- Bryan Adams, Sting and Rob Steward – All For Love
First Dance Wedding Songs From the 80's
- Chicago - You’re The inspiration
- Led Zeppelin – Thank You
- Journey – When You Love a Woman
- Foreigner – Waiting for a Girl Like You
- REO Speedwagon – Keep on Loving You
- Kiss – I Was Made For Loving You
- Bad English – When I See You Smile
- Fleetwood Mac – Everywhere
- Taylor Dayne - I’ll Always Love You
- Phil Collins – Groovy Kind of Love
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Sp Greaney
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on May 04, 2021:
@ Chitrangada Sharan, there are so many choices when it comes to picking wedding music. I think each country has many of their own artists that couples will end up choosing.
@Liz Westwood, thanks Liz. It was fun to put this together.
@Pamela Oglesby, thanks. Yes, it was interesting to see what is popular on Spotify and browsing YouTube was a task on its own. Some of the artists that are on here are not really mainstream either but their music is good.
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on May 03, 2021:
I enjoyed reading your article despite the fact that I am well past needing a list of wedding songs, Sp I think some people will be delighted to see your list.
Liz Westwood from UK on May 03, 2021:
This is a well-compiled and very useful article for anyone planning a wedding.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on May 03, 2021:
Great list of wedding songs. I enjoyed going through your list. Though, I am not aware of many of them. But, they sound enjoyable and in keeping with the celebrations, spirit and enthusiasm of the weddings.
Thank you for sharing.