It is hard to believe but there are some laws which can make a person scratch his/her head in wonder, amazement and astonishment.
You would have been forgiven to think it is not true but it is the reality. Whether these laws still work up to day or the citizens from these countries or states follow them or altogether ignore them, it is beyond my wildest dream if they are ever followed.
These funny and weird laws help you to remember despite the bad things happening in the world, it is still a funny, weird and ridiculous world to have a cup of tea while sitting on the sofa, and enjoying yourself to the fullest.
- If you happen to be in Ohio, USA you should be aware it is illegal to get a fish drunk. I wonder if any person has ever tried that before.
- I doubt who will try this in a police station but in Florida, USA it is an offence to stakateboard in a police station.
- If you visit Victoria in Australia, it is an offence to change an electric bulb if you are not a licensed electrician.
- I wonder if you die at this place what it will be done to your already dead body. It is illegal for a person to die in the Houses of Parliament in UK.
- Name a pig Napoleon in France and you are sure to find yourself in the wrong side of the law.
- I don’t know who in his/her right mind will try this – it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama.
- Pregnant women in the U.K are allowed to relieve anywhere they want even if it includes asking a policeman for permission to relieve in his helmet.
- If you place a postage stamp that bears the British monarch in an upside position in England, it is regarded as an act of treason.
- Kissing a woman while she is asleep in Logan County, Colorado, USA is illegal.
- This one is crazy. If a woman wants to wear false teeth she ought to inquire consent from her husband. That is in Vermont.
- I wonder which reason went behind the passing of this law in St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. If a woman is in a night dress, she cannot be rescued by a firearm. So, will she be left to die whether the house or building is razed in fire or is collapsing?
- Never mind when a dog makes faces at you. Don’t try the same act of making faces at a dog. You might end up serving a prison sentence in Oklahoma, USA.
- This one is ridiculous: Pretending you have rich parents when it is not the case and you happen to be living/staying/residing in Washington, USA is an offence.
- A criminal is required by the law to provide a written or oral notice to his/her victim giving details of the crime he/she is about to commit at least 24 hours before starting the crime. Don’t ask. It is in Texas, USA.
- Don’t try to imitate an animal. It is illegal in Miami, Florida, USA.
- A woman in England is entitled to bite off a man’s nose if the man kissed her against her will. The law was passed in 1837.
- Who in his right mind would try to have sex with a porcupine? Nevertheless, you should know if you did have sex with one, it is an offence in Florida, USA.
- This one is funny: Smile at all times unless you want to risk a hefty fine. Well, this one is a law in Milan, Italy. It is only in funerals and hospitals a citizen is exempted from smiling.
- After 10pm in Switzerland, no man is allowed to urinate while standing up. I wonder which position men are supposed to urinate. And, no flushing toilets after this time.
- Lebanese men can have any sexual intercourse with any animal as long they are females. A man caught having sex with a male animal will be sentenced to a death penalty.
- In Minnesota, USA, men’s and women’s underwears are not supposed to be hanged together on the same washing lines.
- This is a favorite: “In Stelvio, Italy, in 1519, a court issued a warrant for the arrest of a gang of moles that had severely damaged crops. The moles were summoned to court but when they failed to appear they were sentenced to exile. (m.dailytelegraph.com.au)
- How about this one: “Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.” (m.dailytelegraph.com.au)
- If your pigs for any reason are caught engaged in sex in Kingsville, Texas’s air property, you should be aware you are in a big trouble.
- Bathing two babies in the same tub at the same time is illegal in Los Angeles, USA.
- As a seller don’t sell both the toothpaste and toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday in Providence, Rhode Island. It is illegal.
- If you are going to slaughter or eat an animal, don’t dare to name it if you happen to be staying in Australia. It is illegal.
- Back to Texas again: Inform the police or give them 24 hours notice you are going to commit a crime. Easy way to be caught, I can say. Nice thinking here, yah!
- In Massachusetts you have to bath first before you go to bed. I am not sure who will be checking residents here whether they will bath before going to bed. Or is it, whether they bathed before going to bed?
- Who can try this one, I wonder: You will be breaking the law if you eat in a place that is on fire in Chicago.
- Don’t dry your clothes outside on Sundays while in Switzerland.
- Wearing shoes that are noisy in Capri, Italy is prohibited.
- In Kenya it is against the law to walk around if you have no money. I wonder, does it mean those who don’t have money should stay indoors until they get some?
- Be warned: Don’t kill Mice while you are in Morocco. It is illegal. The only time you are allowed to do so is if you want to have them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- I don’t know if it is scientifically backed. In Madagascar pregnant women are not allowed to wear hats. Why? I don’t know.
- If you are in California and your animal happens to mate with another in public, dude, you have a case to answer.
- While in some countries you can buy television without passing through unnecessary processes, in South Africa if you want to be in possession of a television you must first of all have permission (license) to purchase it.
- It is well-known when a person is convicted of a crime he committed he is sentenced to a period of time. He is taken to a prison where he is given a space to sleep, three meals per day and other basic necessities are provided to him. This is not the case in Sudan. A place to sleep, tick. The others are up to you.
- It is very important to vote though it’s not a compulsory. In Egypt whether you like it or not, you have to vote. Unless you want to test the water, try not to vote. It is mandatory.
- If you fancy the name Monica and want to name your child that name by all means if you are staying in Guinea don’t try. It is prohibited.
- We do know the benefits of under wears. However, it is not a must you should wear them. You will realize in Thailand it is a must if you are leaving your house without having worn your under pants.
- In Guan if you are a virgin you cannot get married. If you want to get married you should ensure you are not virgin. It will not come as an astonishment (though it will since some men have found a full-time job in this area). Well, some men have found a full-time job of deflowering young girls ready to get married. Yah, they are paid for this job.
- If you are a lady who has slept with the husband of a Hong Kong’s wife and you are in Hong Kong be prepared for punishment for your breaking somebody’s marriage. The wife has the right to kill you in whatsoever way she deems right or necessary. In the case of the husband she is allowed to kill him with bare hands. I wonder how this is possible unless the woman has big hands and a big body with a lot of strength than her husband.
- In a region called Cali based in Columbia, mothers of their newly wed daughters are allowed to witness the first sexual intercourse of their daughters with their husband. Whether they want to see if their daughters are good in bed (meaning if not they need to be taught how) or what…it beats my mind to know. I cannot imagine my wife’s mother looking at us doing sex. Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Alianess Benny Njuguna (author) from Kenya on December 29, 2019:
Thank you, Kelly for your comment to my post. The laws are quite funny which always make me wonder as you "what the context was at the time."
Kelly Ann Christensen from Overland Park, Johnson County, Kansas on December 28, 2019:
Thanks for the cute, entertaining, and humorous article. This is funny:
Pregnant women in the U.K are allowed to relieve anywhere they want even if it includes asking a policeman for permission to relieve in his helmet.
Some of these really cause you to wonder what the context was at the time. lol
Alianess Benny Njuguna (author) from Kenya on November 19, 2014:
@DFW-Metro-Plex, I wonder if the moles would have been concerned if they were present:)
Hahaha, it seems that would be case, sentenced to death.
You are lucky!
These laws still leave me scratching my head in amazement.
DFW-Metro-Plex from United States on September 15, 2014:
What the heck do the moles know about this? Hahaha!
I wonder what would be the punishment for dying in the House of Parliament. Would he be sentenced to death? Hehehe.
When I was a kid I used to make faces at my neighbor's dog. My neighbor berated me and chased me away. I'm glad this didn't happen in Oklahoma. LOL.
Interesting and funny hub!