Pass It On - Do Something Nice Today
Random acts of kindness are little or big things you can do for other people without expecting any kind of return. And of course this works both ways because doing something nice for someone else makes you feel good too and add to your sense of wellbeing. And if you do the good deeds anonymously, it's even more fun - it's like being an undercover agent on a mission!
If you can't afford to give away money or time, there are still plenty of little day-to-day things you can do to make the world a better place. And often if someone has received a kind act, they will 'pass it on' or 'pay it forward', meaning your action goes on and on.
I hope you enjoy reading this page, and I hope it inspires you to add more random acts of kindness to your life :-)
Life Vest Inside
This video pretty much sums it all up...
Ideas To Brighten Someone's Day
- If you get to a toll road/bridge, why not pay for the toll of the person behind you too?
- Smile at strangers, maybe say 'Hi'
- Compliment people - either your friends/family members or perhaps compliment a stranger on their clothes and ask where they bought them.
- Give out free hugs
- Open doors for people
- If you're pre-paying for a parking ticket in a car park, and see someone else coming to get a ticket, buy two tickets instead and give one to them. You can always say 'I bought 2 by mistake' if you don't want to admit it was on purpose :-)
- In a restaurant, if you have a great waiter/waitress, you could: leave them a generous tip, leave a note complimenting the service (or maybe a cute little doodle if you can draw), or you could tell their boss what a brilliant employee they have. And if the meal was excellent, why not send your compliments to the chef?
- Send anonymous Valentine's day cards
- Bake a cake or cupcakes and give them out for no reason at all. Maybe give them to strangers too.
- Submit positive feedback to a business you appreciate, or write a glowing review online for a favourite restaurant, shop or service
- Write a handwritten thank you note or letter to someone you haven't seen for a while. Or just send them a joke or some random little toy in the post.
- Find a pen pal in another country - (via Pen Pals.)
- Send postcards to people all over the world, with nice messages on them - Post Crossing.
- Leave genuine complimentary comments on people's personal blogs and Youtube videos, or send e-mails to your favourite one-person online shops just to say how much you like their stuff. It will brighten their day.
Best Books About Good Deeds
Good deed ideas, stories of people making the world a better place, and other books to feed your soul:
I Dare You Not To Smile
I love the Free Hugs Campaign - so cute!
Good Deed Ideas
- Send an encouraging card to a sick child through MakeAChildSmile.org
- Donate blood
- Register to become an organ donor
- Write your postman/bin man/milkman a thank-you note and attach it to the letterbox/bin/doormat.
- Adopt an abandoned animal
- Leave an inspirational message in a public place. This could be in the form of a chalk message on the pavement, notes on pieces of paper left in library books, printed pages stuck on walls or doors. You could also leave a funny message to make someone smile. Be careful not to litter or graffiti, and only do this in public places. Click here for some brilliant examples.
- Donate money to charity
- Buy your partner/friend or family member a gift for no reason and send it snail mail with nice gift wrapping.
- Buy someone lunch, a surprise treat/cake/snack, or coffee.
- Always say please and thank-you, and smile!
- Pull faces at kids in the street without letting their parents see and see if you can make them laugh.
- Send a thank- you to someone in the military. It's simple and free here: LetsSayThanks.com
- Make breakfast in bed for someone you live with.
Put Yourself Out For Other People
Practice Random Acts of Kindness
More Acts of Kindness
- Leave some change in a vending machine
- Post an anonymous "Have a great day" card in a neighbour's/stranger's letterbox
- Let someone in front of you in a queue at a shop or when driving
- Offer to hold your umbrella over someone as they walk in the rain.
- The classic helping an old lady across the road
- If someone drops something, or is struggling to carry their bags, offer to help.
- Buy a drink for someone homeless, or give them some food.
- Organizing, or taking part in a flashmob certainly makes people smile, and if you can knit, why not try some Guerrilla knitting?! Don't go overboard with the knitting though because I'm not sure it's 100% legal!
- Do a bit of garden work for people for free e.g. raking leaves.
- Volunteer for charitable organisations.
- If you find a little-known shop (online or otherwise) which you really llike but it seems quiet, or it is struggling for business, do a bit of word-of-mouth advertising for it yourself.
Or you could take part in a 'sneak attack' on an undiscovered Etsy (handmade) shop here.
Change the World - One Bit at a Time
Links to More Ideas & Inspiration
- 50 Good Deeds
Excellent daily ideas for 50 days.
- Feel the Power
A few good suggestions.
- Random Acts of Kindness
A creative list of things anyone can do.
- Top 70 Ideas
Random and easy ideas.
- More Lists
Over 50 excellent ideas.
- 134 Random Acts
All of the best.
- Operation Beautiful
Leaving anonymous notes in public.
- Free Compliments
Print out this free template and display on noticeboards to give people a boost.
- Care Packages
Ideas on what to include in your packages.
- Help Out a New Mum/Dad
If you've got a friend who has just had a baby - try these ideas out.
Inspiration For Doing Good - And For Life in General
Please Leave a Comment!
Amy from East Coast on February 15, 2017:
great hub. I love your ideas. I am going to try some!
jeanne jeffers on December 03, 2014:
Thinking of leaving thank u cards for coworkers anonymously & then tagging them to pass it forward
Lou Cannon from British Columbia, Canada on May 30, 2014:
Practicing random acts of kindness is something we all should partake in more often :)
Tanya Jones from Texas USA on April 03, 2014:
great lens. goes right along with one of my first lenses.
sean-kachmarski on February 17, 2014:
Join my Kindness Revolution
Search You Tube for my A.R.A.K.N.V (Anonymous Random Act of Kindness Nomination Videos)
If your up to being nominated please drop me a line.
evawrites1 on January 24, 2014:
Kyleoremus123 on January 18, 2014:
Colin323 on December 30, 2013:
Great lens. "Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can seeâ, said Mark Twain. He was right.
LluviaDeArte on October 27, 2013:
Beautiful lens. It has inspired me, thank you for writing it.
TerriCarr on October 22, 2013:
Hi, I didn't have time to read the whole page yet....but I will be back for sure. Great, great lens. I love that first video. I will have to check out the others next time. Terri
anonymous on September 19, 2013:
How about sponsor a child? Great lens.
anonymous on September 12, 2013:
Have just sent a very rare old WW1 trench lighter to a random man who has a youtube channel (just because i gave up smoking)
anonymous on August 28, 2013:
I am a teacher of grade 4 in PA. I teach Social Studies and am doing this at my school anonomously with both staff and kids. I teach in a very urban school, so the idea is to replace bullying and violence with another form of expression. I will keep you posted. I am hoping for great things this year!
SamanthaHaupt on August 11, 2013:
Great lens! It reminds me of my favorite commercial.. the Coca-Cola commercial that shows people doing nice things for each other (with the song "Give a Little Bit" in the background).
anonymous on July 16, 2013:
bancdebinary1 on July 08, 2013:
We think it all starts with a smile and a simple "Hi/Hey" to a stranger - a great idea for a lens!
anonymous on July 04, 2013:
Janet, just checked out your blog. You go girl! RAK for life....
anonymous on July 03, 2013:
My resolution for 2013 is one act of kindness each day of this year.my blog at jsmcfetridge.blogspot.com describes my adventure.Thanks for the wonderful ideas here.
anonymous on May 20, 2013:
Today I got a T.A.G. card (timely acts of generosity). I just activated it and am looking for unique ways to pass it on!
DvdMovieGirl on March 15, 2013:
Wonderful lens. Those little acts (seem little to the giver/doer) can make a huge impact in the lives of those who are on the receiving end
uneasywriter lm on March 02, 2013:
I love paying a random unsuspecting person's tab at drive in restaurants. Nice lens!
anonymous on February 14, 2013:
Great lens with a lot of cool ideas! Great job. Thanks for the info!
anonymous on February 10, 2013:
"Do any random acts of kindness and share your stories with us. You may let us know if someone did something kind/nice to you as well."
ArtzeeChris LM on January 10, 2013:
Really nice lens! This should be showcased as a lens of the day. I know there are many people who have decided to do 26 acts of kindness in honor of the victims of the New Town Elem. School tragedy. This lens really compliments that!
Hannah Writes on December 25, 2012:
I was shopping at the drug store a few days ago and saw a young girl in the hair color aisle with me. She was buying something Imhadna few coupons for and offered them to her. She was happy and thankful. Small gesturesndo matter!
bofirebear on December 09, 2012:
Great lens with wonderful ideas I really enjoyed the video on the free hugs.
anonymous on November 10, 2012:
Thank you so much! This has gave me so many new ideas that will make such a difference in peoples lives all because of this page!! You should feel proud! Thank youuu!
anonymous on October 13, 2012:
This is WHY I created "Sending Smiley's" I love to make others smile, just because I can!!! Come check me out :)
anonymous on October 06, 2012:
thank you for these great tips i appreciate it (:
Donnette Davis from South Africa on September 17, 2012:
What a beautiful lens! Blessed x
anonymous on September 06, 2012:
I give cold can drinks to garbage men and mailperson on HOT summer days.
anonymous on August 16, 2012:
Great ideas! I love it when someone lets me ahead in the grocery line or offers help carry heavy stuff to my car for no reason. I try to help others in little was, too. I have a facebook page that was born to update people on all our illnesses (my family is one of 5, four of which have disabilities or special needs), it has been a forum for prayers, not only for us, but we offer the same to others who share their stories. A prayer will lift people up so much! Knowing you are supported during tough times is helpful...
cameras14 on August 08, 2012:
this 's an interesting lense I 'ver read, thank you for share
markadamdouglass on June 15, 2012:
Thank you for sharing these wonderful acts of kindness :-)
Aster56 on June 15, 2012:
I like doing good deeds because my mother taught us helping people in need gives great pleasure. So it is now part of life.
TheMaya on June 10, 2012:
Thanks for this lens, it's really good, I'll try to do as many of the things here... :)
madnessmerritt on June 02, 2012:
grew up doing it, it's not an effort it's a way of life.
Millionairemomma on May 21, 2012:
What a great lens. Paying it forward, doing something nice for others is very rewarding and a great contribution to the world.
WinWriter on May 17, 2012:
This is a fantastic lens. So many people are self-absorbed in today's world that everyone needs a reminder to plant kindness.
lizmilton on February 26, 2012:
Super lens! Some lovely ideas I hadn't thought of! I teach and all the students(16 year olds) in my Tutor Group try to do something kind for some else each day in school. Hopefully they will carry that idea into the outside world as well
BlogsWriter on February 19, 2012:
Great ideas, worth trying.
RuthieDenise on February 18, 2012:
I like the idea of makeachildsmile.org. I have not heard of that but will check it out. Thank you.
one step2heaven on February 18, 2012:
Great lens, very hepful
one step2heaven on February 18, 2012:
Great lens, very hepful
DJam1 on February 17, 2012:
Great day for reminders on this Lens Thanks for a good job on the Lens and sharing
heehaw lm on February 17, 2012:
i love the YouTube video , if you all have not watch it, just click and enjoy the show.
Lauriej1 on February 17, 2012:
Love it!!! :D
MarilynImanse on February 17, 2012:
How about a big hug today? Here it comes to you......Then pass it along. See how many takers you get.
flycatcherrr on February 17, 2012:
A wise friend of mine has always judged other people only by one criteria - how much does this person add to the total of human happiness in the world? Not a bad way to look at things, and living up to that standard is a pretty good way to try to live, I think. :)
gold3 on February 17, 2012:
Not only does it make others happy when you do something nice, but it makes you feel good as well!
anonymous on February 17, 2012:
All the time we are busy serving ourselves, for a change it is good to think extrovert, think about others.
CherylsArt on December 24, 2011:
Lovely tips for having an inspiring day. I especially liked watching the Free Hugs video. I felt their joy.
makeupbrush on December 22, 2011:
Sometimes, we do need to be reminded to do more good deeds. Kindness is never outdated, and Lao Tzu's quote is totally right "great acts are made up of small deeds."
Katie Harp on December 20, 2011:
what a nice lens. blessed by a squid angel :) <3
Todayhaspower LM on December 06, 2011:
Great Ideas, I'll definitely do some ROAK. :) So much fun...
squidshe on November 11, 2011:
Imagine if there was a random act of kindness day, what could happen! Love this lens.
anonymous on October 29, 2011:
Hi, your lens has really inspired me. I've recently made the decision to dedicate myself to helping raise funds for specific charities and helping others in general. You have some wonderful ideas here to make other people happy. I especially like the make a kid smile program. There is no greater feeling than that of making someone else happy:) Great job, keep up the good work!
Kim Snow from United Kingdom on October 18, 2011:
Some very good inspirations here. I often wonder: "What could I do?" I'll certainly try to do some of the things you list here, esp. the ones which involve writing to other people because writing is something I love and it would be great if my words could make someone else's day, even if it's a complete stranger. Thanks a lot for this great lens!
Vikki from US on February 14, 2011:
Love the Lao Tzu quote as well as everything here ;)
Carolan Ross from St. Louis, MO on December 12, 2010:
Beautiful lens about random acts of kindness, liked & lensrolled. Best to you on Squidoo.