Premier international agency - United Nations aims to facilitate co-operation among member nations in terms of international law, economic development, social progress, international security, human rights and to achieve world piece.
A position in United Nations opens doors for immense opportunities beyond imagination and accelerates path towards your dream career.
There are very few entry level jobs in United Nations for young professionals based on examination and one of the most sought after and prestigious is United Nations Young Professionals Programme.
Young Professional Programme Examination
UN YPP is an examination held by UN for recruitment of young professionals across departments. Every year specific number of member states are declared eligible to appear for examination to bring diversity in the pool of candidates and bring representation from all member nations.
Structure of Examination
The written paper of the examination consists of 2 papers:-
- General Paper - Tests knowledge of international affairs and drafting abilities.
- Specialized Paper - Based on the subject you choose.
The basic eligibility criteria for the examination is:-
- Candidate should have at least first-level university degree.
- Candidate should be 32 years of age or younger.
- Candidate should be fluent in English and/or French.
- Candidate should be citizen of participating nation for that year.
Language of Examination
Paper 1 - General paper could be answered in either English or French
Paper 2 - Specialized paper has the option of answering in any of the six official languages of UN - Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Spanish or Russian.
Salary is amazing with many perks. The salary structure of UN is:-
1) Base Salary
- For entry level professionals - USD 37,000 - 80,000
- For mid level professionals - USD 67,000 - 106,000
- For senior level professionals - USD 95,000 - 123,000
2) In addition there are allowances and grants which vary as per position and responsibilities.
3) Post adjustment - In addition to base salary, there is post adjust provided which again varies as per responsibility, location and position of posting.
4) Also, the salary is generally tax exempted.
Young Professional Programme 2012
The advertisement for 2012 examination is out and is conducted in 6 fields:-
- Economic affairs
- Information systems and Technology
- Political Affairs
- Radio Producer
- Social Affairs
Application deadline - 12/09/2012
2012 Participating countries - Afghanistan, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bhutan, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Central African Republic, Chad, Colombia, Comoros, Cyprus, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guinea-Bissau, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kiribati, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Poland, Republic of Korea, Romania, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Solomon Islands, Spain, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweeden, Switzerland, Syria, Tajikistan, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Togo, Tonga, Turkey, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, United States and Vanuata.