UN General Assembly and Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) have created some international organizations to deal with specific areas of trade and development, relief and welfare, environment, research and training etc. Some of the international organizations were as follows:
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development established in 1964
- United Nations Development Program established in 1965
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees established in 1950
- United Nations Children's Fund established in 1946
- World Food Program established in 1960
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime established in 1997
- United Nations Environment Program established in 1972
- United Nations Population Fund established in 1969
- United Nations Human Settlements Program established in1978
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research established in 1965
- United Nations Research Institute for Social Development established in 1963
- United Nations University established in 1973
- United Nations International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women established in 1979
- United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research established in 1980
- University for Peace established in 1980
International Organisations created by UN General Assembly and Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
|Name of the Organisation||Headquarters||Establishment||Objective|
UN Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
To promote international trade.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
New York City, U.S.A
To assist Least Developed Countries in their socio-economic development.
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
To provide relief and rehabilitation to refugees.
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
New York City, U.S.A
To assist the Least Developed Countries in providing child health, care services.
World Food Programme (WFP)
It provides aid in the form of food for relief operations during natural disasters and also for social and economic development projects.
United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) *
Drug Control and Crime Prevention.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
To facilitate international cooperation in, matters affecting the human environment.
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
New York City, U.S.A
To promote population related programmes.
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN - HABITAT)
To provide technical assistance to human settlement and planning schemes of Governments.
United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR)
To provide training for UN. personnel and to officials of countries dealing with UN schemes.
United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD)
To conduct research on matters relating to social development.
United Nations University (UNU)
To conduct research and training on development welfare and human survival.
United Nations International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women ((UN - INSTRAW))
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
To assist in integration of women into the development process.
United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR)
To conduct research in areas related to disarmament.
University for Peace (UPEACE)
Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica
To conduct research on all matters affecting the peace of the world.
- United Nations Organization
The United Nations Organisation (UNO) was founded in 1945 after World War II. The main aims of UNO are to maintain international peace and security, to develop friendly relations among nations. Also...
- Successes and Failures of the United Nations
United Nations Organisation was established after World War II with a motto to maintain world peace. And this in fact is known to every one of us in general. But the question is, was this really successful in...
- Specialized Agencies of the United Nations Organisation
Specialized agencies of the United Nations Specialized agencies of the UN are seventeen in number as per the terms of the UN Charter. They are autonomous organisations set up to deal with specific issues....