Expository essays in literature, politics, philosophy, and science issues allow space for affirming one's stance on issues, old and new.
Edward Jenner’s 18th Century Theory
In the closing years of the 18th century, a pharmacist named Edward Jenner began experimenting to secure a preventative for the scourge of small pox, a dreadful disease that killed and maimed many of those who contracted it.
Jenner had heard of milkmaids who had contracted cowpox and then had become immune to small pox; thus, he formulated the theory that has become the basis for vaccination: that small pox immunity could be effected by surviving the cowpox disease.
To test his theory, Jenner secured fluid from Sarah Nelmes, a milkmaid, who had survived cowpox; he injected the fluid into the arm of James Phipps, an eight-year-old boy, who had been healthy.
The boy then suffered cowpox and recuperated, and six weeks later, Jenner injected the boy with fluid taken from a small pox pustule. When the boy failed to suffer small pox, Jenner concluded that his theory had been proved correct.
The problem with this happy tale of science is that the boy, James Phipps, died of tuberculosis at the age of 20. Also, Jenner had injected his own son with his small pox vaccine, who exhibited a negative reaction and began showing signs of mental retardation. Jenner’s son also died to tuberculosis at age 21.
In the 19th century, it was discovered that the small pox vaccination was linked to tuberculosis (consumption). Dr. Alexander Wilder, editor of The New York Medical Times and professor of pathology, explained:
Vaccination is the infusion of contaminating element into the system, and after such contamination you can never be sure of regaining the former purity of the body. Consumption follows in the wake of vaccination as certainly as effect follows cause.
The science of vaccines even in the 21st century has remained unchanged since Jenner’s theory was promulgated in the late 18th century.
While most fields of science have progressed exponentially, for example, from the Earth-centered universe to the Sun-centered galaxy, the equivocal theory of Edward Jenner’s vaccinology has remained the "settled science," despite the many great strides in understanding of vaccines that have been made in every century since Jenner’s first discovery.
These new discoveries offer an abundance of evidence for questioning the notion that Jenner was correct and that vaccines are, indeed, safe and effective.
Legally Protected Yet "Unavoidably Unsafe"
In the 2010 court case, Bruesewitz v. Wyeth LLC, the Supreme Court guaranteed that vaccine manufacturers, despite the fact that their product is deemed "unavoidably unsafe," will remain protected from legal action against them.
Instead of suing a vaccine maker, those injured by vaccines can seek compensation from an obscure arm of government known as the Vaccine Court or the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) after reports to an equally obscure agency called Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS).
According to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS), about 30,000 cases of adverse reactions to vaccines have been reported annually to VAERS since 1990, with 10-15% classified as serious, that is, associated with permanent disability, hospitalization, life-threatening illness, or death.
Also, between 1989 and July 1, 2014, 3,645 compensation awards have been made by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP), amounting to over $2.7 billion in awards. Only 1–10% of vaccine-associated injury and death is reported to the VAERS.
Parents with healthy, thriving children who changed into difficult, withdrawn, unhealthy children after a vaccine have begun to speak up and question the heretofore claimed safety and efficacy of those inoculations.
And now with the rushed manufacture of the newest vaccine for COVID-19, the question of vaccine efficacy and safety has taken the spotlight, and more citizens than ever before are faced with the vaccine question.
The following issues lead to questioning the safety and efficacy of vaccines:
- Controversy has always swirled around the issue of vaccines from the beginning.
- Vaccines have never been tested in any meaningful way, that is, against a placebo; thus, there is no evidence for the claim that they are safe and effective.
- Manufacturers of vaccines cannot be sued when their product causes an injury or death. Therefore, they have no incentive to improve or maintain the purity and safety of their product.
- Vaccine ingredients: particularly aluminum and mercury have been proven to damage human health.
- Rates of autism have increased as the number of vaccines required for children have increased. Not only autism but a host of other illnesses afflict American children, rendering them the sickest in the world, suffering ADD, ADHD, asthma, and SIDS.
- The case of Hannah Poling.
- Dr. Frank DeStefano, former CDC Director of Immunization Safety, has admitted, "vaccines might rarely trigger autism." "I guess, that, that is a possibility. It’s hard to predict who those children might be, but certainly, individual cases can be studied to look at those possibilities."
Heated Vaccine Debate - Kennedy Jr. vs Dershowitz
Vaccine Advocates Refuse to Debate
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., and Alan Dershowitz participated in a debate, in which Kennedy presented a well-researched, in depth set of facts about the issue, as Dershowitz showed only how meagre is his own knowledge on the issue.
Dershowitz’ major point focused on a legal issue: if vaccines are safe and effective, then the Supreme Court would likely side with the branches of government in requiring all citizens to be vaccinated. But the law professor had nothing to offer to address the questionable claim that vaccines are, in fact, safe and effective. About the debate, Kennedy said,
I want to thank Alan for participating in this debate. I’ve actually been trying to do a debate on this issue for 15 years. I’ve asked Peter Hotez, I’ve asked Paul Offit, and Ian Lipkin. I’ve asked all of the major leaders who are promoting vaccines to debate me and none of them have. And I think it’s really important for our democracy to be able to have spirited, civil discussions about important issues like this.
If pro-vaccine apologists, such as Drs. Paul Offit, Peter Hotez, and Ian Lipkin remain so confident about their stance, it seems that they would gladly debate Kennedy in order to demonstrate their superior knowledge and to reassure the public that vaccines are safe and effective.
That the pro-vaccine apologists continue to refuse to debate the issue suggests a weakness that discredits their claims, making it vital that the public become aware of both sides of the issue.
Additional Resources for Research
In addition to the sources cited already, the following is a list of links to scientists, physicians/nurses, and activists who have offered analyses on this issue.
The following resources relate specifically to COVID:
- Dr. Jay Bhattacharya: False Reporting on Covid
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. "The Problem With the COVID Vaccine"
- 57 Top Scientists and Doctors: Stop All Covid Vaccinations
- Dr. Bryan Ardis: Dangers of Covid-19 Vaccine Report
- Growing List of Physicians on Safety of Covid-19 Vaccines
The following resources speak to the issue of vaccines in general:
- Robert Kennedy Jr. Destroys Big Pharma, Fauci & Pro-Vaccine Movement
- Dr Russell Blaylock: Vaccine Damage, Fraudulent Vaccine Science & Mandatory Vaccine Trials
- Dr. Suzanne Humphries: Vaccines-Honesty vs Policy - Part I , Part II , Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI
- Dr. Meryl Nass
- Dr. Nancy Banks
- Dr. Sherri Tenpenny
- Dr. Lee Merritt
- NVIC: National Vaccine Information Center
- Truth Will Prevail: 1200 Studies That Refute Vaccine Claims
- Doctors Against Vaccines
- More Doctors Against Vaccines
- Nurses Against Vaccines
- Scientists Against Vaccines
- The Truth About Vaccines
This issue remains controversial, and new reports on the injuries and deaths from vaccines are being provided daily; yet many current mainstream media often make it difficult to acquire information that refutes the pharmaceutical claims for vaccine safety and efficacy.
The penchant of social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook for deleting and canceling information has become an obstacle to wide-spread understanding. Despite the difficulty of remaining informed about the vaccine issue, the research is out there. One simply needs to do some digging to find it.
- Marco Cáceres. "The Smallpox Vaccine Was No Silver Bullet." The Vaccine Reaction. June 6, 2017.
- The Supreme Court. Bruesewitz v. Wyeth LLC. No. 09–152. Argued October 12, 2010–Decided February 22, 2011. PDF file.
- Curators. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System. Food and Drug Administration. Department of Health and Human Services. Accessed October 2, 2021.
- Editors. "Did You Know?" Britannica ProCon.org. Accessed October 2, 2021.
- Speed the Shift. "Are Vaccines Safe and Effective?" VisionLaunch Media. February 8, 2016.
- Barbara Loe Fisher. "Shots in the Dark: Attempts at Eradicating Infectious Diseases Are Putting Our Children at Risk." National Vaccine Information Center. Accessed October 1, 2021.
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. "What We Don’t Know about Vaccine Safety." Common Ground. October 16, 2020.
- Kellie Pantekoek, Esq. "Can I Sue Vaccine Manufacturers?" FindLaw. Last updated September 02, 2020
- Christina England. "UK Scientist Speaks Out About the Dangers of Aluminum Adjuvants in Vaccinations." Vactruth.com. December 21, 2018.
- Joel Edwards. "A Look at the Vaccine Schedule and Autism Rates." Organic Lifestyle Magazine. September 2, 2015.
- Sharyl Attkisson. "Vaccine Case: An Exception or a Precedent?" CBS News. March 6, 2008
- Sharyl Attkisson. "CDC: "Possibility" that vaccines rarely trigger autism" Sharyl Attkisson: Untouchable Subjects. Fearless, Nonpartisan Reporting. December 10, 2018.
- Moderated by Patrick Bet-David. "Historic Vaccine Debate: Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. vs Alan Dershowitz." Valutainment. July 23 , 2020.
- Dan Olmsted and Mark Blaxill. "Voting Himself Rich: CDC Vaccine Adviser Made $29 Million Or More After Using Role to Create Market." Age of Autism. Accessed October 2, 2021.
- Joe Schaeffer. "Peter Hotez: Not a Scientist, But a Vax Salesman." FreePressers. August 10, 2021.
- Kent Heckenlively, JD. "The Case Against Ian Lipkin." BolenReport: Science Based Analysis of the North American Health Care System. Accessed October 2, 2021.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2021 Linda Sue Grimes