Specialized agencies of the UNO
Specialized agencies of the UN are seventeen in number as per the terms of the UN Charter. They are autonomous organisations set up to deal with specific issues. These agencies may or may not have been originally created by the United Nations Organisation, but they are incorporated into the UNO System by the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). Specialized Agencies of the United Nations are as follows:
- Food and Agriculture Organization established in 1945
- International Atomic Energy Agency established in 1957
- International Civil Aviation Organization established in 1947
- International Fund for Agricultural Development established in 1977
- International Labor Organization established in 1946
- International Maritime Organization established in 1948
- International Monetary Fund established in 1945
- International Telecommunication Union established in 1947
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization established in 1946
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization established in 1967
- Universal Postal Union established in 1947
- World Bank established in 1945
- World Food Program established in 1963
- World Health Organization established in 1948
- World Intellectual Property Organization established in 1974
- World Meteorological Organization established in1950
- World Tourism Organization established in 1974
Specialized Agencies of the United Nations
|S.No.||Name of the Agency||Headquarters||Establishment||Objective|
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
To deal with the problem of food and agriculture.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
To promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
To promote cooperation in air navigation and transport.
International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
To extend financial assistance to least developed countries for increasing food production.
International Labour Organization (ILO)
To improve labour conditions and to encourage productive employment.
International Maritime Organization (IMO)
London, United Kingdom
To facilitate cooperation on maritime activities.
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Washington, D.C., USA
To promote financial and monetary stability and assist revival of international trade.
International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
To promote cooperation in use of tele-communications.
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
To promote and to spread knowledge and education and mutual understanding of people.
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
To promote industrial development.
Universal Postal Union (UPU)
To improve world postal services.
World Bank (WB)
Washington, D.C, USA
To provide leveraged loans to developing countries for capital programs.
World Food Programme (WFP)
To help people, unable to produce or obtain enough food for themselves and their families.
World Health Organization (WHO)
To promote highest possible levels of health of all peoples.
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
To promote the protection of intellectual property.
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
To improve world meteorological activities.
World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
To promote the development of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
See also :
- United Nations Organization
The United Nations Organisation (UNO) was founded in 1945 after World War II. The main aims of UNO are to maintain international peace and security, to develop friendly relations among nations. Also...
- Successes and Failures of the United Nations
United Nations Organisation was established after World War II with a motto to maintain world peace. And this in fact is known to every one of us in general. But the question is, was this really successful in...
- UN International Organisations
UN General Assembly and Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) have created some international organizations to deal with specific areas of trade and development, relief and welfare, environment, research and...
sharon on August 27, 2019:
helpful information thanks
mrs Shitta on June 10, 2015:
Its help me in teaching my students
larissa johnson on November 25, 2014:
thks for your great help for it was very useful for my history project and is still going yo help me in my career as a meteorologist how i wish i could work in the WMO. am a cameroonian
vishnu on August 04, 2014:
thak u a lot sir
ashish on February 22, 2013:
it was very useful for my history project thanks hub pages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mala on January 16, 2013:
tank a lot
kalpana on January 16, 2013:
i will use only this
akashiya on January 16, 2013:
thanks a lot a lot and a lot for this page
precious on October 25, 2012:
tanx its very useful to my project
aditi on August 19, 2012:
thanks for helping me...............
nishita on June 27, 2012:
these are very good and useful for our assignment.
Harriet on January 25, 2012:
Thanks for helping me with ma assignment.
juberiya on January 01, 2012:
it was very useful for my project work
dilkash on February 28, 2011:
It was very good and interesting.Thanks for helping me.