A lot of people seem to think that it takes extreme action to make a difference, when in reality, lowering your carbon footprint can be quite simple. Here are 10 ways to get started.
Actions to Take
1. Have a meatless Monday. For just one day each week — or more if you choose — skip eating meat!
2. Save a flush — if it’s yellow, leave it mellow. This can reduce your usage of water.
3. Have leftovers for lunch! That dinner you didn’t finish will probably end up in the garbage — just more waste. Eat it the next day!
4. Brush smart! While you’re brushing your teeth, don’t leave the tap running! You’ll save water, and money too!
5. Purchase a reusable water bottle! All that plastic goes to dumps where it takes years to decompose — or worse, into the ocean.
6. Shower with speed! Showering for five minutes or less will save water and money!
7. Let the sun in. During the day, open the curtains of any south-facing windows — it’ll bring some warmth to the room and give your heating unit a break.
8. Pack smart! If you take lunch to work, or pack a lunch for your kids, use a reusable lunch bag. Also, skip the plastic forks and use your regular ones. Both of these steps will save money and waste!
9. Drive smart. If it’s only a few blocks away, consider walking or biking instead.
10. Scrap the plastic bags! Use reusable tupperware instead.