Skip to main content

George Stinney got Justice 70 Years Later

Mustansar here iam writer of history blog's and also a attorney i have done master of political science And LL.B

George stinney who were death senteced

George stinney who were death senteced

: This is March 1944. In a small town in South Carolina , two girls were going to collect flowers on their bicycles. On the way, they met black siblings living in the same area. The cyclists asked as they walked. Do you know where we can find poppies? Poppies are the popular wildflowers that blooms in the South American states. The scent is enchanting, but the black siblings didn't know about the flowers, so the two sisters couldn't answer them. Disappointed, they went ahead in search of flowers and apparently the matter ended here.

But in the evening there was a commotion. The two sisters had not reached home. The people of the area went out in search of them. The peoples kept looking for the girls

throughout the torches in the night.

Then a priest saw two bodies lying in a ditch near a railway track with his bicycles in them. Police suspected that someone had sexually assaulted the innocents and then killed them, but when the post-mortem report came out, the whole case was reversed because the doctors did not find any evidence of abuse.

This situation also baffled the police. It was difficult for the police to find out the purpose for which the girls were killed. No evidence or witness could be brought in to record the case. This was because the girls were white and the police could face severe accountability if their killer was not caught.

So the police did what the police of every country do, that is, to catch the suspect and then use the third degree to convict him of murder. One of the challenges for the police was that they were white without any evidence. They could not get their hands on it because all the laws were made in favor of whites. If the police caught a white man, the local community would forbid him to live.

So the police chose an easy prey named George Stinney George, the boy the girls had asked for flowers. George's sister was only seven years old, so she was released, but fourteen-year-old George However, the police arrived at George's house and arrested him. The case started from here, which is still a burden on the conscience of the American state.

There were no witnesses to the murder of the girls but the police put the whole case on George's head to demonstrate and beat the 14-year-old boy to death and he confessed to the murder and there was no witness except the police. George was imprisoned. He was not allowed to see a lawyer, nor did the police bother his parents so much that they could only record George's confession. A policeman wrote George's statement on a piece of paper. George killed the children with an iron tool and hid the tool somewhere nearby. Surprisingly, the killing tool was never found by the police.

George was then arraigned in a local court for trial. According to US law, the decision was to be made by a public jury, not a judge, but a white jury that hated blacks.

The white farm people in the area were furious, so George's family went into hiding out of fear.

George was also transferred to a Colombian prison fifty miles from home.

When George's trial began, one by one, the witnesses were called. They were the ones who had seen George on the street, but none of them had seen him kill .George, nor had anyone found the murder weapon.

Ironically, the lawyer that George got was named Charles Ploddon. He was also a white man and he was running in the election for which he needed votes and he could not offend whites. The court did not present a single witness in George's favor, nor did it ask the police for the murder weapon, nor did it argue in George's favor. The case was completed in three hours because of George's lawyer. They found George murdered in ten minutes. He was sentenced to death. He was put in an electric chair. Fourteen-year-old George was denied the right to appeal and was not allowed to see his family.

Fourteen-year-old George was sentenced to sit in an electric chair on June 16, 1944. George had a Bible with him since his sentencing and until the last moment he kept saying that he was innocent. He was not coming in an electric chair. George was a young boy convicted in the twentieth century

In 2004, 60 years after George's death, when most of his characters had gone to Death Valley, George Frison, who lived in the same South Carolina town, read an article about the incident in a newspaper and decided to investigate. As George Frison gathered facts from the trial, his curiosity grew. But it didn't take them long to realize that it was not possible for a child like George, who weighed barely 40 kilograms, to kill two girls alone and drag their bodies a thousand feet. Frison also met with George's family. He was fortunate that George's sister, Amy, was still alive. He also vowed to prove his brother's innocence. Lee because no one testified against her during the trial, although she was with her brother at the time of the murder and their testimony could have saved George's life. Lawyer George Frison and George's sister began working together to prove George's innocence.

Scroll to Continue

They also found the affidavit of the French priest who had exhumed the bodies from the pit. He wrote that he had found no evidence of blood in the pit.

The appeal was later heard for two days and experts proved that the circumstances under which George was convicted were suspicious.

Therefore, the court granted the request for re-trial

Amy testified that her brother was not the killer and that he was with her at the time of the incident, while the family members of the murdered girls were also alive. Appearing in court, he said George was the killer while Amy denied it

Therefore, the court took statements from both the families

And it was decided that

No killing device found

There was no witness against George

It is impossible to drag corpses up to a thousand feet

Could not access lawyer and parents

There was no written confession

The trial and verdict were hastened

In the end, the judge acquitted George

The judge said in a statement that the speed with which the decision was made was a "terrible mistake" and called it "the greatest injustice."

Thus, 70 years later, George and his family got justice, but obviously the benefit is to the extent of the accuracy of the record, but the two innocent girls who were brutally murdered did not get justice in this case since 1944. Since then it has been known as injustice in the United States

If you know anything about this case, you will definitely give your valuable opinion in the comments.

Two girls who were murdered

Two girls who were murdered

Related Articles