Kenna worked on an extensive insurance program helping consumers understand the pros and cons of auto and home insurance companies.
USAA Insurance Review and Quotes
USAA provides home and auto insurance for active military members, veterans, including their families. Their customer service offers a wide selection of insurance coverage and scores high in customer approval. Members may set up retirement plans, bank and invest with USAA.
USAA Car Insurance Coverage Options and Discounts
Car insurance coverage through USAA generates insurance quotes based on these options:
Coverage options: USAA provides auto insurance coverage with a variety of options and discounts to its members.
- Rideshare – Covers Uber or Lyft drivers when they log onto the rideshare app and wait for a customer request.
- Comprehensive coverage - Pays for damage caused by any incident excluding a collision or rollover, includes loss or damage because of theft, vandalism, fire, flooding, and hail.
- Collision coverage - Pays for damage to the car resulting from a collision or rollover no matter who is at fault.
- Liability coverage – The coverage combines options including bodily injury, uninsured motorists’ coverage, including property damage. Liability offers to parts of coverage, which are bodily injury and property damage.
- Rental reimbursement – Your option for a rental car during the time your vehicle is under repair because of an insurance claim.
- Accident forgiveness – Your family remains accident-free for five years. Your premium will not increase when one at-fault accident happens.
- Roadside assistance – The service when your vehicle breaks down, need a tow, or repair the car. The benefits include tire change, deliver gas, or unlock your vehicle.
- Safe driver – An excellent driving record is good for over five years.
- Defensive driving – Take a driving skills course approved by USAA.
- Driver training – Any driver under the age of 21 who completes a standard driver training course.
- Young Driver - Drivers younger than 21 can complete a basic driver training course.
- Good student – Students who drive and uphold good grades.
- New vehicle – New car is not over 3-years old.
- Multi-Vehicle – There is more than one car under insurance coverage.
- Annual mileage – The car drove low-mileage in a year.
- Vehicle storage – Up to 60% discount while the insured car is stored.
- Bundle – There are discounts available when combining auto and home insurance coverage.
Home Insurance Coverage and Discounts
USAA insurance customer service helps you get your life moving in the right direction with homeowner’s insurance. It covers home and personal belongings without factoring in depreciation:
- Fire - Helps the cost of reconstruction of property, repair, and replacement.
- Theft – Covers burglary, replacing lost or stolen items, and any damage to the property like forced entry.
- Vandalism – Covers spray painting, egging property, slashed tires, broken windows, tapering with plumbing, and destroying property in general.
- Most weather-related events – Helps the cost of damage caused by hail, rain, wind, lightning, and tornado.
- Liability – Whether you or someone else on your property gets hurt, the protection is in place.
- Identity theft – Help the costs of trying to reinstate your identity and repair your overall credit.
- Home Sharing – Renting out a room or sharing your house, if anything happens to you or your home.
- Military uniforms – Lost or stolen uniforms covered while deployed or on active duty.
- Home location – Check and see if your home’s location lowers your premium.
- Home construction materials – Materials used to build the house like steel or brick could lower the premiums, including sprinkler systems, security systems, and bolt locks.
- Military affiliation – Active duty or veterans received discounts.
- Continued USAA loyalty — Retaining multiple USAA products and uninterrupted coverage.
USAA Ratings, Reviews, Customer Satisfaction, and Complaints
The Better Business Bureau gave USAA a score of B- (A+ highest to F the lowest) because of government actions placed against the insurance company. Customer Reviews gave the company 1.25 stars out of 5 with complaints about product and service where the settlement payment did not arrive or very late.
Consumer Affairs reports USAA received positive reviews for customer service and online rating with 1.25 stars out of 5.
Reasons Why USAA Is a Great Option
Who is this insurance company best for?
USAA membership allows only military members and retirees, including active duty, guard, officer candidates, reserve, military veterans, and family members.
Rates appear competitive because of limited memberships – only military.
The company offers advice on family matters to military life. All USAA insurance claims available for direct deposited for members who bank with USAA.
Additional Policies Offered by USAA
USAA includes insurance for life, renters, rental property, boat, RV, and motorcycle.
- (Best & Worst) USAA Auto Insurance Reviews - ConsumerAffairs
USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families.
- USAA | BBB Rating Overview | Better Business Bureau Profile
Learn how USAA earned its B-. Better Business Bureau ratings represent BBB's opinion of how businesses interact with customers.
Online estimated auto USAA insurance quotes are available. Homeowners' insurance quotes are available by calling or emailing the insurance company.
© 2019 Kenna McHugh
Kenna McHugh (author) from Northern California on February 04, 2021:
I hear you. Receiving a dividend for auto insurance is heaven-sent. I am a step-daughter of a veteran, and my family is fortunate to have a membership. They've been helpful in the past.
Shauna L Bowling from Central Florida on February 04, 2021:
Kenna, I have my auto, homeowners, and life insurances with USAA. I also have a savings account with them. I've been a member since 1997.
I love USAA. Each year I receive a dividend from my auto policy. I've only had one claim against my homeowners insurance, which was paid within days.
I'm fortunate to qualify to take advantage of what USAA has to offer, as a child of a veteran. My son also has a USAA card. He's got his auto insurance and checking account with them.
I can't speak highly enough of USAA. How the BBB gave them a B-minus rating is beyond me!
Kenna McHugh (author) from Northern California on October 17, 2019:
I watch the commercials while working out at the gym. I don't hear what is being said, but yes, they look professionally made.
Angel Guzman from Joliet, Illinois on October 17, 2019:
I see the commercials and they look like they do great work.
Kenna McHugh (author) from Northern California on October 05, 2019:
Chuck, My mother's third and last huband was in their navigator program and joined USAA. I was grandfathered in their banking service. I have no complaints.
Chuck Nugent from Tucson, Arizona on October 05, 2019:
This is a very informative Hub. Having joined USAA over 40 years ago when I was a newly minted 2nd Lieutenant in the Air National Guard on temporary active duty training to be an air navigator, I am very familiar with their services. I have had their car insurance since I joined and homeowners insurance since I brought my first home. While I have had very few claims I have always been very satisfied with the service I received on them One of the great side benefits I have found is the fact that, whenever approached by an insurance agent offering car or home insurance all I have to do is say "I have USAA" and they shut up instantly.