PS has worked as a freelance writer since 2012. When she's not traveling and writing, she helps people with web design and development.
Having a steady job? Still, wish to earn some more. Selfish? Aha,…no. Well, I understand. While the requirements and standard of living rising day-by-day, it has become comparatively tough to go by just one job in hand. A side hustle is important to fulfill your dreams and secure your life in case you no longer wish to be in that same job.
Let’s first start with how to prepare yourself to use your free time to make the most out of it, then let’s see all the possible side jobs you can do to earn a side income:
How to Prepare Yourself to make the most of Your Free Time
1. Write an estimated amount you want to earn
- Certainly, every side job does not have the same value. While some you will make you earn millions annually, others will just help you pay your bills.
- Before you make up mind on what you should do, take some time out to consider how much money you want to earn.
- This will conclude where you must look for side jobs.
2. Factorize your Time
- Time is a big issue when you have a full-time issue and running a family as well.
- You must be looking for something that brings you money for hourly work.
- Doing an exact estimation of how much you’ll spend on the task is tough.
- But it is better to do some realistic calculation beforehand on how much you will spend your time on these tasks and rest with your family or friends to avoid any hassle later.
3. Think about the Job Requirements
It is not just about your time, a side job, sometimes, demands some other resources as well. For example,
- You may need to have a DSLR camera if you want to work as a photographer. Even some writing jobs demands you to take HD photos to complete a project.
- You may need to take care of gas, car maintenance, and tire repairs, in case your job requires you to drive.
- You may need to download licensed software or buy other types of equipment such as a scanner, fax machine to support your freelance work.
All these expenses must go into your overall hourly rate estimation.
4. Evaluate Your Skills
- Utilizing your skills to fill up the idle time is the best way to earn money. You don’t need to look out for anyone.
- I would like to consider my own example, I work as a software developer in a firm. My job requires me to available at the office from 10 am to 6 pm. After that, I have plenty of time (nearly 4 hours, excluding dinner and time with my friends and family) to use my writing skills to earn some side money.
5. Utilize the Available Resources
If you want to add some extra income to your bank balance but not sure, what will suit you? There are plenty of websites available to give scam-free job opportunities such as:
6. Bring Your own Unique Value to the table
Once you have finalized your side job, you need to know how to make it profitable. Just the way you are committed to your regular job, it is important to do for the side job clients:
- Meet deadlines
- Bring quality work
- Give suggestions to your clients to receive a higher ROI.
7. Keep a Record of your Expenditure and Payouts
For most people, picking a side job is not a good idea, not because they lack time. It is because they fail to manage the track of every important thing.
- You need to be organized
- Stay on track with hours you are dedicated to your regular and side jobs
- Follow up immediately when you don’t receive the payout on the suggested date.
- Discuss your tax-related queries with your accountant
- You are earning from multiple sources, so it’s indeed important to keep a check on tax rules and exemptions
8. Find Purpose for Your New Source of Income
You surely have a reason for why you decided to pick a side job in the first place.
Is it for,
- Down payment on a house
- Other assets
Bring your decisions into actions, avoid spending your hard-earned money somewhere else. I have seen most people who end up wasting their money where they never really wanted to.
9. Set a Time Period for Reassessment
New things take time to get adjusted.
- Give yourself peace of mind and set a remainder after a specific time period, say 3 or 6 months, to evaluate how much you have gained from your side job.
- Is it taking too much of you and giving you nothing in return?
- Are you worn out by doing something extra and taking classes to build a better income?
- Is your side job helping you make more income than your regular job that you wish to turn it into a full-time job?
- Reassessment is an important factor to earn a better fortune. Evaluate and change your working style time-by-time to gain double of your goals.
Possible Side Jobs to Help You Earn a Side Income
Offline Job Options
Thinking about earning a side income by brewing coffee, folding sweaters or flipping burgers is the least attractive way to earn some more money, but it’s the easiest way to do do.
I know my friend who worked at such jobs during nights and weekends to pay his bills and keep the money from his regular job for investment purposes:
He worked at:
- Gas station
- Night-time receptionist for a flight school
He found some boring, some very fun, but at the end of everything, he was getting paid. Though he earned only $10 per hour, the jobs were easy to get through, didn’t require many efforts and were good to go with his regular job schedule.
Working during night time isn’t everyone’s choice, but it’s good if you are single and have free time to use your nights for some good work.
- Follow the application procedure.
- Dress professionally for the interview.
- Apply to the places that interest you, for me, I would love to be a part of a book store or a public library.
- No one loves working during night times, if you are ready to do so, you’ll be a great candidate.
- Inform the manager about your regular job. Tell them you need to earn extra money and will take the job seriously. They won’t mind your situation but don’t what you need to compromise in case your other boss wants you to stay late.
- Any place with a sign of “Help Wanted” is a fair chance to get a good job, some options are:
- Shopping malls
- Home goods store
- Big box stores
- Fitness clubs
- Distribution centers
- Cleaning services
- Airport services
Online Job Options
If you have remarkable skills in writing, designing, programming or tutoring, you can find a reliable job online direct from the safety of your home.
1. Sell Your Crafts on Etsy
- If you are good at crafts and can create outstanding clothing, jewelry, accessories, and furniture, then the Internet has the place for you.
- Sell your work on Etsy and make a decent amount out of it.
- You can also find the success stories of several people who are making a fine living from this work.
2. E-Book Publishing
- Books are still in trend, people buy and downloads ebooks both for leisure and work.
- If you have an idea that you wish to elaborate, then writing an ebook is the right option for you. You can go for Amazon Kindle publishing.
- No doubt, people with great marketing and writing skills are making millions out of it.
3. User Testing
- Customer satisfaction is the sole of every company
- They want to deliver better than the best services to their customers.
- For this reason, most of the companies are offering payment to people who test the functionality of their websites.
- You can earn $10 for every test you conduct on sites like UserTesting, StartUpLift, and Analysia.
4. Teach Your Skills to Others
- Everyone knows some valuable information that they can share with others and help them get educated.
- Discover what you can help out others with such as English speaking skills, mathematics skills, or writing essays skills.
- You can do it all from the comfort of your home with sites like tutor.com
- Photography is a passion, art and a zeal to show the world the way you see it.
- Photography has its own area in which you can specialize. There are several short classes that run all year round to teach basic photography skills.
- Most of the successful photographers shoot for specific categories and fields such as fashion, landscape, architecture and so on.
- You can also sell your photos online and earn money from it. Sites like Shutterstock, PixFlair can help you do so.
- Make sure your photos are of very high quality. Use a high-quality DSLR camera.
6. Graphics Designing
- Graphic designing is the hottest online job with perks of receiving huge cash.
- A graphic designer’s job is to visualize the message of a project, done using the brand’s identity.
- This includes logos, brochures, cards, catalogs, packaging, letterheads, website designing and so on.
- Since it is a part of every business irrespective of the industry, it is and will always be in huge demand.
7. Participate in Surveys and Join Groups
- Completing a survey or joining focus group may not give you much in return and can eat up nearly an hour of your day.
- Having said that, this is an easy job and if lucky,… well, not lucky, depending on certain demographics you can even make $100 to $200 or more a week.
- Sites like Opinion Outpost, PrizeRebel, Inbox Dollars, and Clixsense can help you earn some legit side income.
8. Resume Writing
- This may sound odd, but if I’ll tell you many people have attended classes on resume writing and are making a living out of it. Well, I am surely not kidding.
- Writing a resume is tricky. It is the first impression that a candidate makes to his/her dream company and they don’t want to go wrong with this very first important step.
- Every year, month or day, thousands and millions of people apply for a job, who struggle to write the perfect resume for themselves, so you can imagine there’s a sea of opportunity here.
- You can offer these services in your network, social media group or by working part-time at ResumeEdge.
9. Start Investing with Just Your Smartphone
- Investing is a smart way to double or triple money or even lose it all if not done wisely.
- Apps like Stash and Acorns help you get started with investing.
- You’ll need to select a portfolio of stock, if you have no knowledge of how to proceed, don’t worry, these apps have their own help articles to help you out with where to invest.
- Swagbucks is an old name and you must have heard it multiple times, even when I hear it, my expressions are, “Yeah! I know it, ugh, what’s new?”
- Still, there’s no wonder that people from high-schoolers to adults make good cash out of this site.
- You get paid for watching videos, discovering deals, searching the Internet and answering surveys.
- Sounds simple? I must tell you people are making enough to pay their monthly bills.
11. Shop Online for Cashback
- Isn’t that good you receive cash back for every shopping you do online.
- Sites like ebates.com give you cash back for online shopping at no extra charges.
Possible Job Titles
The list of side jobs is so long that I may end up writing a whole book on it. But let’s avoid that and here, I present you the most rewarding and worth-doing job titles:
- Yoga/Dance Instructor
- Graphic Designer
- Dog Walker
- Fitness coach/Gym Trainer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Virtual Assistant
- Car expert
- Language expert
- Music/Vocal Instructor
- Career counselor
- Data entry expert
- Data analyst
- Business and Finance coach
- Personal Shopper
- Personal chef
- Affiliate marketer
Miscellaneous Job Options
Here are some of the other job options that are, though, quite common but no everyone is aware of them:
1. Rent your Vehicle
- Yes, you heard that right. Earn money by renting your vehicle through sites like Getaround or Turo.
- If you don’t like renting, you can drive your own car and earn money through Lyft or Uber. The minimum you can make is $35 per hour.
- Another option is to register your vehicle as an airport shuttle and transfer people from the airport to their destination.
2. Sell Your Items Online
- You may be having some unwanted items that you want to get rid of, such as books, shoes, or you may be good at something which you want to sell to someone else, such as painting, handicrafts.
- Sites like Amazon, eBay, Wallop, Gazelle and Craigslist help you to sell your stuff online.
- If you have run out of things to sell, ask other people, but make sure to give them a cut.
- You can also do a drop shipping business, in which you sell new items of manufacturers and receive a commission for the sale.
3. Become an Independent Consultant with Direct Selling Companies
- Working for direct selling companies needs patience and expert network marketing skills.
- People are earning huge by selling products of companies like Tupperware, Modicare, and Avon.
- The direct selling companies have products to match all your needs from cosmetics to laundry products as well as health supplements.
4. Rent your Things out
- If you don’t wish to sell your old stuff, you still have the option to earn money by renting them.
- Sites like Zilok can help you rent your tools, video-game consoles, furniture, and many other related things.
- Sites like Airbnb can help you rent out your free space. This is good especially when you have a vacant apartment and there’s no one to look after it.
- Sites like Parklee, JustPark, and SpotHero can help you rent your parking area, garage space and any other related area, available with you.
5. Bake your Favourites and Cater Them
- This is a little tough business, but many people are earning huge from it, so it’s definitely worth giving a try.
- If you have a passion for cooking, then this is a great option to look after for.
- You can cater or bake for different events such as graduation, anniversary or birthday parties.
- You can also stick with one specific food in which you are best at. I recently read about a company who has built a billion-dollar food business just by selling salad. So, you should go for it.
6. Event Planning and Management
- Do you like planning and organizing events and activities for others? Well, this is not just a job, this is actually an art and if you excel at this, a big income is waiting for you.
- Working as an event planner, you’ll have to find an appropriate venue, entertainment facilities, and caterers specific to the type of party you are organizing.
- Event planning has its own specializations such as business event planner or wedding planner. Decide what’s best for you.
7. Modeling or Acting
- Modeling and acting are generally full-time jobs, but you also have the option to do it as a freelancer.
- You have the option to work as an art model or advertise products and earn hundreds and thousands of dollars.
- There are plenty of options available online where you can apply for these jobs, do a simple search on Google, such as “freelance models/actors job offers”
8. Moving and Hauling Services
- Ikea is the most famous site in the world where you can find jobs related to this field.
- If you have a truck and trailer, you can avail this opportunity to earn good side income.
- The business works throughout the year and there’s always a shortage of reliable trucks and drivers.
9. Babysitting and Petsitting
- This may sound like a high-school gig, but there’s no objection in adults doing this gigs.
- Such jobs can even pay you $100 for a single night of babysitting.
- Start by offering these services to your neighbors, friends, and colleagues.
- Recycling doesn’t pay you much in the short run, but it’s a good job since many people have gained enough from this side gig by doing for years.
- You can sell and recycle items like scrap metal, car batteries, ink cartridges, bottles, paper, and cans.
11. Lawn Caretaker
- I am not a gardener, but I know people who can spend their whole life sleeping in a garden for years.
- If you are one of this type, then you earn pretty impressive income from the same. Well, not exactly the same.
- You’ll be required to do jobs like weed whacking, mowing lawns and watering plants as well as planting gardens, if you know the rules.
- If your places have all the four seasons, you can also offer snow-removal services.
12. Cleaning Services
- If you won’t mind a little around or over you, then you can offer cleaning services either weekly or bi-weekly. It depends on you.
- If you plan to start a side business in this field, make sure you are aware of green cleaning methods.
13. Repair Services
- Are you good at repairing computer, electronic boards, switches or plumbing? Then you can run a side business of repair services.
- There are several people who have earned big by running such side gigs.
14. Deliver food for DoorDash
- People are opting more and more for home-food delivery, so the work of delivery boy seems no end anytime sooner.
- You need to register yourself at DoorDash as a driver and when there’s a need, they’ll inform you instantly.
- Most of the restaurants don’t have their own drivers, they hire the services from companies like DoorDash.
- DoorDash provides you with all the necessary information you need from picking up the order to its final delivery location.
- You can earn a minimum of $10/hour and an average of $25/hour.
These are just a few of the thousands of jobs that you can do as a side gig to double your income or to just pay your bills.
If you find this list helpful, there are more options that I would like to share with you, later.