L.M. Hosler has had a self-education in money management. Many times, she has had to work extra side jobs in order to pay her bills
The Money Box Filled With all That Extra Income
Living Paycheck To Paycheck Is No Fun
Oh no! Payday is a day away and you have a dollar in your pocket if you are lucky. Now you find the milk is all, the car is running on gas fumes and you still have to make it to work. You are in a real tight spot right now and the sad thing is that this happens to you every week. The paycheck just doesn't reach the end of the week for you. How stressful this can be for anyone of us and many of us have experienced this at one time or another. Maybe it is time to consider making some changes in your earnings and changes in how you spend your money. If you really are tired of living from paycheck to paycheck, perhaps it is time to learn better ways of managing your money and spending.
Spending and Saving
Before you start looking for that second job, take a look at your spending habits to see if you can cut expenses enough each week so that you will not have to go searching for part-time work or other income. You will also need to consider if how busy your life is and what other responsibilities you have.
You can start by:
- Cutting back on your gas expenses by staying home more, walking, riding your bike, carpooling or taking a bus if that is an option
- Check around for car insurance to see who offers the best coverage for the lower price
- Clipping coupons can slash the grocery bill to save quite a bit of money. But when using coupons check to make certain you are going to use the items and also check to see if the store brand is cheaper. Sometimes the coupons on name brands can end up costing you more than buying the store brand. Clipping coupons also takes time & organization. But they can save you money if you shop carefully. Check the sales and if an item is on sale using a coupon can help bring the price down
- If you eat out a lot, it may be time to start cooking at home more to save on expenses. Learning to cook good cheap nurturing meals will save you money and nurture your body. Buy some cookbooks and have fun experimenting with new recipes
- If you are a smoker, decrease your daily smoking or roll your own cigarettes. Or better yet, throw those cigarettes away for good
Unless it is something that you really need, ask yourself is it really worth struggling through the rest of the week and stressing out about whether you will have enough money to last the whole week. This is just a very few ideas for cutting some expenses so that at the end of the week, you may actually have an extra dollar or two in your wallet. Most of us have some areas where we can cut down on expenses. You will feel less stressed as the week goes by knowing that you will have enough money in your pocket to last all week.
Money Making Ideas
So, after looking through your expenses, you come to the realization that you have no choice but to find a way to bring some extra income into your budget. Now, where do you start?
What are some of the ways that you can earn some extra income? Well, there are many ways to earn some extra cash if you are willing to get out there and look for some extra money. First, consider what time you have to devote to a second job or other money-making opportunity. Then, think about what your interests, talents and hobbies, because many times someone has turned their hobby into a part-time money-making business. You will also have to know a bit about what needs there may be in your neighborhood or nearby. For instance, if no one in your area has dogs, you would probably not do well as a dog groomer or dog sitter. On the other hand, if all the neighbors seem to have dogs, this might be a great money-making opportunity.
Cash in From Your Kitchen
Are you the type of person who loves to be in the kitchen baking and cooking up new dishes? Do your friends rave about your cooking skills? Then, if you have the space and equipment that is necessary, there are several areas to make money with those cooking skills. Here is a short list of cooking job ideas:
- Baking UMM who doesn't like fresh baked apple pie and homemade bread
- Homemade candy can be a great seller especially around the holidays
- Catering dinner parties, wedding receptions and other social events
Some of these may require you to obtain a special license so you will have to check that out. Do your research before you begin. Seek legal advice on the laws governing food preparation from your kitchen.
Then bake up a storm and find an outdoor event and sell your goodies. In my area, people set up a table at flea markets and make out very well. Another friend of mine and her children always bake and set up a table near a local car show every year and they do make money.
Cash from Your Home
- If you own your own home, and have some spare room, you may be able to earn some extra money in various ways.
- Take in a boarder or someone to share your home and expenses
- Check out becoming a foster parent or the Family sharing which is a program that will pay you to take care of an adult with special needs in your home
If you can do any of the above, these can be very rewarding programs, but some of these opportunities are also highly regulated by the government. Your home must also pass certain guidelines. You must also be able to pass all background checks and should have a big heart and a true interest in helping someone.
You must also realize that having other people in your home will be an adjustment for everyone in the home and you should make sure you are legally protected. Contact a good lawyer about what your liabilities might be. Technically renting out a room in your home will make you a landlord, so be sure you know the laws regarding renting out your room.
Auto Repairs Can Bring in Money
Nearly everyone drives a car, and those cars require attention and repairs. If you are mechanically inclined this is a great money maker for you: Try some of these ideas
- Simple auto repairs and oil changes
- Auto detail pays very well as most people like a clean car, but many don't want to do the work themselves, I personally will pay someone to clean my car
- Driving people around with your own vehicle. Some people (such as the Amish) would rather not own an automobile and will pay you to take them to the stores or doctor appointments
These ideas are just a few that can put some money in your pocket to get you through till the end of the week. Here again, do your research as far as what laws, permits, zoning and taxes are required.
Other Income Opportunities
There are many more ways of earning some extra income and balancing your budget. Some additional opportunities include these ideas:
- Yard Sales: Cleaning the house out is a side benefit
- Photography: Take photos of children, weddings, other events
- Cleaning: Someone is always needed to clean those nice big homes that you envy
- Crafting: Make birdhouses, quilts, crochet or knit baby blankets are just a few craft ideas
- Yard Work: Have a lawn mower? Start a lawn care business
- Handyman: Good with fixing anything? Let the neighborhood know and you will find plenty of work
- Home Parties can provide you with a fun social evening and some serious cash in your wallet. There are many different home party types ranging from Tupperware, jewelry, pocketbooks, candles, cleaning products to home fashions.
- Childcare: Parents are always in need of this service
- Income Tax Preparer: Seasonal but a good money maker
- Elderly care: With the aging population many people are willing to pay for a few hours of your time taking care of their elderly parents so that their parents can remain at home instead of going to a nursing home.
Opportunities Are Out There For Those Who Will Work Hard
There are many, many more ideas for making some extra money. Look around and you will find opportunities that may help you meet your needs as well as helping others. There is even the possibility that you may even become wealthy or at least be able to lead a comfortable lifestyle. Anything is possible if you are willing to look for the opportunities and then work hard. With some dedication and hard work, you should never have another week of not knowing if you will have gas money to make it to work by Friday
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 L.M. Hosler