PS has worked as a freelance writer since 2012. When she's not traveling and writing, she helps people with web design and development.
Social media sounds like a fun place, but only if you ever thought about it, it is the largest growing marketing platform for small to large businesses. Even, it is worth knowing that people who know social media management, called as social media managers, are huge in demand and are paid really very well. Since, social media is flooded with lots of fake followers, even just on Facebook there are more than 200 million fake users, so in such cases, driving the potential users require efforts and tricks. That’s why social media management is an essential skill. If you are a freelance writer, then using social media to increase your income is quite easy.
What Skills should you have as a Freelance Writer?
You should have the following 4 basic skills to become a successful freelance writer through social media:
- Planning Skills: You should know how to build marketing plans specialized for your clients’ products.
- Persuading Skills: You should know how to write content and post lucrative stuff to drive customer engagement.
- Listening Skills: You should have enough patience to understand the clients’ requirements, what they want? what type of audience they are looking for? what is their call to action? and so on.
- Writing Skills: You are already a freelance writer, so this skill is already in-built in you. If you are able to grasp above 3 skills along with your writing skills, then you've got the golden chance to make 6 to 7 figure income.
What Social Media Sites you must Focus on?
There are so many social media sites and more are on its way that you may feel overwhelmed on which is the right one for you. Some renowned sites are:
These are few of the most common sites that you must have heard of. Out of these, we will focus on five sites throughout the articles, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn, including various other social media tools.
What Social Media Services can Freelance Writers provide?
Each social media works differently and requires different marketing strategies to increase sales rate. Here are some of the common tasks that your client may expect you to carry out:
- Content Writing
- Content Marketing
- Press Releases
- Engaging Customers
- Sales letters
- Video content
and so on…
Are you Prepared to extend your Services to Social Media?
If yes, then that’s great. All the best with your million dollar job and go get it. If not, then here are a few very important things that you need to do. It may sound easy and common, but it can help you earn well if you do it daily. So, let’s read them:
1. Build a Portfolio
Building a portfolio is the necessity of every job, doesn’t matter in which field you are working. Building a portfolio is an art itself, it speaks volume and is the best way to attract clients. Here are a few tips to make an outstanding portfolio:
- Only include your best work
- Include Domain name
- Optimize for SEO
- Easy Navigation
- Great UI Experience
- Linked Social Networks
- Call to Action
Tools for Building a Portfolio
- Adobe Portfolio
- Minimal Folio
- Elegant Theme
- All you
Examples of Best Portfolios for Freelance Writers
Portfolio Example - 1
Portfolio Example - 2
Portfolio Example - 3
2. Get Involved in LinkedIn Groups
LinkedIn is a powerful social network especially build for professionals. With fewer chances of spamming, you can easily find clients who are looking for writers to promote their business on social media. The best way to do so is by joining LinkedIn groups. Joining groups can help you reach your target audience within a short time. Some points to consider before joining a LinkedIn Group:
- A group should have at least thousands of members
- Join multiple groups
- Post-high-quality content, high-quality content has the potential to become a top rated post in the LinkedIn Group, which then can be easily noticed by other members.
3. Write long posts on LinkedIn
LinkedIn loves high-quality lengthy content. It is also a reason why it chooses to tag some people as “LinkedIn Influencer”, because of their regular read-worthy content. Besides joining LinkedIn Groups, you have the option to post long-form content. Let’s see what options you have:
- Post content that relates to - How to guides, case studies, and practical lessons
- Post small snippets of your large documentation work such as an ebook or research study along with a link to the original source
- Post a website link on your profile with required modified content to suit the audience and increasing your web traffic at the same time.
4. Master the Art of using Twitter Hashtags
Though a number of active monthly users on Twitter are comparatively less in comparison to Facebook and Instagram, yet companies have found it to be extremely supportive in leveraging their sales rate. To make your tweets get noticed by the target audience and increase your Twitter following, here are some helpful tips:
- Research and use relevant hashtags
- Make sure your hashtags don’t make the content unreadable.
- Don’t use more than 5 hashtags
- Use hashtag.org and hashtagify.me to find the most popular hashtags
5. Facebook Pages are the not only option to Market your Skills
Facebook pages are a great way to build strong communication with the audience. In addition to that, you also have the option of joining Facebook Communities. While Pages are open for anyone to join, communities are highly specialized and have a higher engagement rate. You can join a community such as Freelance Writing Jobs to stay up-to-date with the latest trends in the writing sector. I have noticed that members in the Facebook community are ready to help you in any problem, giving you a great push to advance your career. So, you must look forward to joining them.
Few Key Points to Write on Facebook
- If you are including visuals, do not write more than 80 characters
- For text-only posts, it is better to go with long and interesting posts with relevant hashtags
- Try different formats such as video posts with captions underneath or small posts with some engaging questions
- Research well before posting, millions of content is posted on Facebook in a minute. To make your post-attention-grabbing, you should know how to use the right visuals with persuading content.
6. Increase Social Following through Consistency
It doesn’t matter what social network you choose to publish your content on. Since most of the social network has more than a million active followers, your work promoting strategy will work on any of them. But make sure to understand how things work on a certain platform. Don’t estimate in advance, if your post works on Facebook, then it’ll give similar results on other platforms as well, that's not feasible. Here are a few tips to increase your organic following:
- Focus on delivering quality content on a consistent basis
- Don’t worry about following, emphasis more on strategy
- Regularly update your accounts
- Follow relevant SMEs(Subject Matter Experts) in your niche
- Do guest blogging on relevant sites, include your social media profile links
- Include links to your social media profiles wherever you showcase your work
7. Instagram has it all
Visuals are the best way to attract any person to read the whole story. Instagram is the best way to display your visualized content along with long captions and relevant hashtags, also providing a link to the original source in your bio. Instagram has it all. There is no surprise in the fact that top verified influencers on Instagram earn thousands and millions of dollars just by their one post. Don’t get overwhelmed by their verified status, non-verified users have equal opportunities to earn high income through their Instagram accounts.
Here are some tips to increase the earning potential of your profile:
- Since the caption is cut after three lines, it is recommended to start with the most important stuff. So, people get curious to click on read more to learn the full story.
- Use limited Hashtags, about 2 to 10. Most of Instagram users tend to do over while using hashtags, but that doesn’t look appealing. It is better to go with less since quality is more important than quantity.
- Being a Freelance writer already, you know how to write revealing content. But to promote yourself on Instagram, visuals are the first thing that catches users’ attention. If the visuals are attention-grabbing, then only they put efforts to read the content. Here are few tools to build a highly attractive visual image or video.
48 Tools to Create Attractive Instagram Posts
- Adobe Aviary
- Landscape by Sprout Social
- Square Sized
- No Crop and Square
- Lapse it
- Crop Square Video
- Instagram Feed WD
- Social Insight
- Magic Social
- Curalate Like2Buy
- Sked Social
- Word Swag
Freelance writing is a competitive field. With so many people switching to freelance writing due to its perks and benefits, finding the well-paid job has become comparatively challenging. Social media is already in use for more than a decade now, yet there are very few professionals who actually lend up high-paid gigs through their social media network. The difference lies in creating persuasive content and regular efforts to top the chart. Be consistent and keep on planning strategies to find the one that works for you. Remember every social media platform needs different strategies to flourish your freelance market.
Bella Vivian from United Arab Emirate on May 08, 2020:
A detailed write Prachi. Thanks for sharing.
Prachi Sharma (author) from Seattle, WA on November 29, 2019:
Hi, Siri Swifty. Yes, this isn't easy. I've been freelancing since 2012. It takes time, but surely worth it. Much better than a 9 to 5 job.
Hasnat Saeed from Wah Cantt,Punjab,Pakistan on October 22, 2019:
Tell you what it is'nt that easy as it seems at first to earn Money Correct me if i'm wrong