So you need money and you're just a kid. Hey, kids have a big advantage...they don't pay any rent, they don't have bills so kids can undercut adults when it comes to physical labor. Here are 16 ways other than newspaper routes and babysitting that kids can make good money using a little elbow grease and ingenuity!
- Give foot and back massages. My son used to do this with the relatives; he charged a dollar a massage and cleaned up!
- Run Errands for People. My son and I lived in an apartment building where you would have to take the trash down stairs and to the dumpster. He was 6 or 7 years old and would knock on doors and offer to take the trash out for a quarter (this was 10 years ago so you might want to up the price a bit but you get the idea). He made a killing because with 200 units a lot of people would give a kid a quarter not to have to take out their own trash! There are other errands you can do like that...keep it simple and charge a low but decent price.
- Clean anything for cheap. This could be done for relatives that don't have kids or friends who are childless. Offer to clean there garage or dust the whole house including the china cabinet, in the winter clean out the fireplace, set a fair price and then make sure to use them as a reference for future jobs...people are busy, they don't have time for things and you can make some dough doing it for them.
- Collect wild flowers and press them and put them into frames and sell them. Get the frames from garage sales or thrift stores, you can paint them too. You could also sell them on eBay.
- In the spring pull weeds, almost everyone hates pulling weeds, in the winter shovel snow, tell them you'll do it for 10 bucks an hour.
- Read to old people: Almost everyone has a retirement home in their town, get cards made up and give them to the staff that you will read for a set price (make sure you are a good reader).
- Computer Geek: Are you good on the computer? Many people aren't but they don't have the money to pay for some professional to help them. Some of these people just need basic help. Some of them are elderly and they just need assistance typing things up or sending emails, you can do it!
- Walk dogs: This works especially well if you live in a city or an apartment complex where people work, undercut the adults and you'll have more business than you will know what to do with. Just make sure you are good to the animals and know what to do.
- House Management: You may be too young to house sit but you aren't too young to water plants and collect mail when people go on vacation. Offer to do it for a fee and make sure to get references to use for the next one.
- Scrap-booking: Do you like to make scrapbooks? There are a lot of people out there who would like to have a scrapbook made but don't have the time, you can do it for them.
- Host a Garage Sale: Time is of the essence that is one thing you have that most adults don't. Offer to create a garage sale for them, you will gather the stuff, sell it, collect the money and split the profits, they will provide the stuff and the garage (do it from their garage).
- Pick Berries and Sell them: I lived in Portland , Oregon for 12 years and berries grew wild all over the place. You pick them, put them in little containers and sell them on the sidewalk, you'll make a good amount of money if you undercut the grocery store.
- Get a metal detector and look for coins and scrap metal, you'd be surprised at what you can find
- Write for Hub-pages: Your parents might have to help you set it up but if you are a good writer you can make money. Click here to sign up: Brie Hoffman on HubPages
- Start a lemonade stand..sure, sure it's been done, but it's been done because it works!
- Babysit: If you are at least 12 and responsible you could babysit kids who are younger for a couple of hours. This would really work out well if it was near your own home.
- Finally, look around, anything that adults do, see if you can do it while undercutting the price. Get cards made, get references and you will be surprised at how much money you can make!
Related Articles by Brie Hoffman
- Tips for Successful Single Parenting
My son is now 26 years old but I raised him on my own and I would like to give you some helpful hints that will not only make your life bearable but will make it wonderful. These suggestions will help you...
- Is Raising your Child in a Suburban Area an Advantage Versus a Metropolitan Area?
Raising children is a difficult process and fraught with many decisions. What form of discipline will you administer? What will you teach them about God and the universe? What world view will you pass on? ...
- How I make $600 to $1,500 Cash Every Month Easily
Times are hard and who couldn't use some extra cash these days? And when times are hard creativity is key. I'm going to tell you how I have paid my rent even though it is $2,300 a month and I don't make...
- Fast Cash - 21 ways to get money in one day or less!
In order to get money fast you either have to sell something, borrow something, or beg for something. My idea of fast cash is making cash that day, not in a week, but in that day. Here are some ideas...
on July 08, 2019:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on August 12, 2018:
that was …… desent
Julisa on June 09, 2016:
ILoveMONEY on May 03, 2016:
This helped me cuz I'm 10. And I'm going to sell vegetables from my farm
cassie on October 21, 2015:
I'm 9 and I am thanking you for all these creative ideas me and my mom are poor all these tips thanks so much-cassie
Awesome Always on March 08, 2015:
Thank you soo much for the tips. I love your advice!!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!
awesome101 on March 08, 2015:
Thank you Hub soooo much for the ideas they really help me put a lot .
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on August 02, 2014:
Hi Mark, welcome to my page.
Mark on August 01, 2014:
Hi I am mark and i am 10years old
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 31, 2014:
You're welcome, I hope it works out for you. Please share the article on your facebook pages.
Alyssa Gonzalez on July 31, 2014:
I've been looking for Ideas tk make money but this help me to think of what I can do to make money , thanks for ur Ideas
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 30, 2014:
I'll put my thinking cap on Sierra.
sierra on July 30, 2014:
please please make a part two!!!
Stephanie on July 24, 2014:
Kool Kool I enjoyed it good real laughter showed that it's rocken
David C from United Kingdom on March 12, 2014:
Great post Brie, i just wrote about something similar
katie on May 18, 2013:
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on April 13, 2013:
You're welcome "Caleb".
Caleb on April 13, 2013:
Thanks you guys
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on June 26, 2012:
Feel free to re-post the article on your facebook or wherever.
Donna Kristine from Atlanta, GA on June 26, 2012:
Wonderful Hub, Brie. I will be sharing these ideas.
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 16, 2010:
Thanks Anamika, please rate it up if you like it.
Anamika S Jain from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on July 15, 2010:
Great Ideas! I remember my father paying me money for piggy bank every time i do a task.
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 14, 2010:
Where there's a will there's a way!
djbraman on July 14, 2010:
Oh, I know how to get that back massage from my grandchildren now, thanks for the pointers! Great idea, Great hub!
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 13, 2010:
Sure, when you start thinking outside the box all kinds of things come to you.
Thanks for commenting elayne001
Elayne from Rocky Mountains on July 13, 2010:
I'll have to share these with my grandchildren. They always want extra money, but are not so keen to work for it. But some of these sound fun. Thanks.
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 13, 2010:
Thanks for commenting.
msorensson on July 13, 2010:
Very creative!! Thanks for sharing great ideas!!
Brie Hoffman (author) from Manhattan on July 12, 2010:
You and me both!
Putz Ballard on July 12, 2010:
I'd pay for one of those massages, my back hurts. Great hub.