Working as a professional interior designer for many decades, I've been involved in design-and-build residential building projects.
Long before the advent of computer-aided design software programs (CAD), interior designers never dreamed the day will come when drafting tables will become relics of the past.
As technological advancement has opened up a totally new world for those in the home design field, life is so much easier for today’s designer. Whether you design clothes, kitchens, bathrooms, furniture, interiors spaces, or architectural structures, it’s all the same; you can now give explicit visual expressions to your ideas and create detailed drawings or sketches within short periods of time, at the click of a few buttons.
As an interior designer that also does kitchen and bathroom designs, over the years, I have progressed from drawing on my drafting table with a T-square and triangle to using great software programs like Autodesk and AutoCAD. Though AutoCAD served its purpose for my interior design concepts for some years, I found it not only difficult to master but a bit of a challenge to use for interior design drawings.
AutoCAD is a great design tool for architects and engineers, but not necessarily for an interior designer who depends more on visual interior representations that are not only colourful and eye-catching but shows the entire concept at a glance.
I have sought simpler but versatile design tools that will be easy to use and require no more than a CAD program and my laptop. Because a large portion of interior construction and re-mode projects involve kitchens and bathrooms, I find that I require software that can create beautiful 2D and 3D floor plans, and photo-realistic 3D images that allow my clients to have a clear view of their projects quickly and easily.
Computer Aided Design Software for Kitchens and Bathrooms
One of the best and easiest to use kitchen and bathroom design software is Room Sketcher. Because of its versatility, and the speed at which plans, elevations, and 3D drawings can be generated, designing a kitchen and bath with Room Sketcher software is certainly fun to use. It is so user-friendly, even a first-time user soon gets the hang of it after a few hours.
Room Sketcher is not only for kitchen and bathroom designs, but a complete home and office design software program. From interior space planning and interior design and decoration of each room to the placement of furniture, interior fixtures, fittings, cabinetry, wall and floor finishes, lighting, and all relevant essentials, this CAD program is all you need for your professional interior design projects.
For kitchen and bath design or remodelling, this computer-aided design software makes things so easy. To design a new kitchen or bathroom space, remodel existing ones, all that is required are:
- Take the room’s measurements, its length, breadth, and ceiling height.
- Sketch it to scale on the software’s drawing interface and include the dimensions.
- Position the window and door openings.
- Pick and drop floor and wall finishes.
- For the kitchen, pick and drop objects like the kitchen base and wall cabinets, oven units, sink units and corner cabinets, cooker hobs, breakfast counters, countertops, extractor fans, pots and pans, crockery, kitchen towels, and other kitchen accessories.
- For bathroom designs, pick and position bathroom fixtures and fittings, bath towels, racks, vanity units, bathroom shelves, countertops, and open shelf units. Every single item comes with actual measurements and so can be positioned with ease.
- Decorate with potted plants, wall art, mirrors, and other forms of kitchen and bath décor items.
You can move objects around, replace materials and finishes, change orientations, and drag and drop features until you are satisfied with your layout. Take 3D shots at intervals to view your design and work at it until the desired result is achieved. After completing a layout, you can use the in-built camera to take actual 3D shots of the finished design.
You can share and discuss projects with your clients online and do a back and forth if need be. You can also do same with builders, contractors, and sub-contractors online.
Top Features of Home Design CAD Software
When you begin to use Room Sketcher, you will find the software is loaded with so hundreds of features. It contains a vast library of furniture, finishes, and accessories, unlike other programs. These following features are some of the things that set it apart from many home design software.
- Accurate and precision alignments.
- High-quality floor plans.
- Interactive Live 3D Floor Plans, 3D Photos and stunning 360 Views
- Photorealistic rendering that looks like professionally shot photographs.
- Drag and drop feature for everything from walls, doors, and window openings, to furniture and finishes.
- An extensive library of objects - sinks, faucets, appliances, toilets, bathtubs, showers and enclosures, bathtubs, countertops, fitted cabinets, ceramic tiles and other related floor and wall finishes, hardware, ironmongery, faucets, etc…
- A comprehensive colour palette, textures, and building materials are available. They allow users to visualize design options and alternatives.
- Impressive state-of-the-art 3D rendering.
- Your company logos or corporate branding on your floorplans for your company’s personalisation.
- Automatic calculation of total area, gross area, and all internal areas.
- Upload and trace over sketches feature which means you can import images and blueprints from other drawing software programs like Autodesk and AutoCAD
- Interior and exterior dimensioning features which you can switch on and off at will.
For the professional kitchen and bathroom designer, interior architect, re-modellers, home builder, and real estate developer, using Room Sketcher computer-aided drawing software is a great way to show your clients visuals of exactly what they’ll get in their interior space. It makes it easy for them to understand what creative plans you have for them and what concepts you are proposing to them.
Room Sketcher also provides personal services, so, even if you are a designer who has a massive workload, their design team can help you create plans. All you require is to send in a dimensioned hand sketch (it doesn’t have to be to scale) and leave the rest to them. You will receive a complete set of blueprints within 48 hours.
© 2010 viryabo
Comments Are Welcome
Traqqer from Atlanta, GA on December 08, 2010:
I tried one of these types of software packages a long time ago (over 10 years), and at the time, they weren't that good. They were OK, but the graphics weren't that appealing. With the advances they've now made in computer 3D graphics, these new packages are just incredible...they can provide very clear views and images.
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on November 19, 2010:
Hello P, nice to see you here. Thanks for visiting and for leaving your usually very nice comments.
prasetio30 from malang-indonesia on November 19, 2010:
Nice hub and very well written. I love interior design and I find again through this hub. Very informative and easy to understand. Thank you very much. Have a good day!