Bamboo window shades add natural beauty to windows and other openings that require the use of blinds. Being a natural material, it adds texture and 'warmth' into a room, turning the interior space into something like a sun porch in a Mediterranean villa.
Bamboo wood is eco-friendly and versatile, and window treatments made from this natural come under two categories – blinds and shades. Though many decorators and homeowners interchange the two words, the terms are both different.
Bamboo Window Treatments - Between Shades and Blinds
Bamboo window shades – Shades are different from blinds and unlike bamboo window blinds, they have no slats or vanes. They are categorized as soft window treatments, and, also referred to as match-stick shades or woven wood shades.
Many window shades are made of grass, fabric, or PVC-based materials, but bamboo shades are much more charming and popular, and not only for its affordability but also for its soft texture, airy-looks, and highly its enhancing properties. They give a clean smooth and linear look to windows.
Bamboo window blinds – These are made up of slats or vanes of bamboo wood and are referred to as hard window treatments. The blades may be arranged in a horizontal or vertical fashion, just like shutters, and can be adjusted to let in sunlight partially or fully, meaning that they can be lowered, tilted, or raised, to fine-tune the level of light let into the room.
Bamboo blinds are affordable and durable and will add a smooth cool ambience into any room.
Though bamboo window treatments come in a wide variety of sizes if you plan to purchase them off-the-rack but if they are not the perfect fit, they can be custom-made for specially shaped window openings, if, for instance, you have an arched or circular opening.
Attractive Qualities of Bamboo Window Shades and Blinds
Most people also love bamboo shades because of their simple, clean, and streamlined look including the fact that they possess the ability to control daylight more effectively. However, they have more qualities than these.
The attractive qualities of bamboo window treatments and reasons why they are a popular choice of decorators and homeowners include the following:
- They create a tropical or Southern Californian theme.
- Not voluminous like curtains and drapes.
- Will transform a room into a holiday resort.
- Has versatile and multipurpose qualities.
- Allows daylight to softly filter in.
- Shades possess a naturally dried grass-like look.
- Bamboo blinds have a natural shimmering lustre.
- Bamboo shades and blinds both come in natural warm colours, but they can also come bleached, stained, or dyed to other colours like blue, red, brown, and black.
- Bamboo works well with most interior design styles and themes.
- Fills a room with natural warmth.
- They absorb ultra-violet light and provide a wonderful filter for incoming daylight.
- They can be dressed up or down, depending on which room they are to be installed in.
- Popular finishes are cherry, white mist, maple, walnut, and Burnt bamboo
- Come with cute visible hardware with cord or cordless features.
- Affordable and budget-friendly.
- Styles range from the country cottage and mountain lodge styles to the higher end ‘couture’ bamboo shades and blinds.
- Standard sizes of ready-made blinds and shades come in widths of 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180 centimetres. For roll-up bamboo shades, the standard drop is 160 centimetres. Ready-made shades and blinds cannot be trimmed.
- You can purchase bamboo window treatments online because it is the best place to find a large selection of colours, type, and styles to choose from.
- There are darker and thicker types for bedrooms, and lighter less-dense types for living, kitchen and dining areas.
- They look best when set snugly within inset window frames with a clean finish that complements rather than clutters windows
- Bamboo window shades and blinds are easy to install.
- Can come as Roman or roll-up window treatments.
- They are easy to maintain and clean (How to Clean Bamboo Window Shades)
- Can be layered with fabric curtains or drapery.
- Can serve as a faux headboard when it is hung behind the bed.
- Bamboo shades can be used outdoors on decks or patios as vertical canopy shades that offer both privacy and shade from direct sunlight,
- Can be used as a decorative patio (roof) covering.
- They can be spray painted to any desired colour that works with the interior colour scheme.
- The strong, rustic, and beautiful qualities of bamboo window shades and blinds cast an elegance that opens endless interior design and decoration possibilities
- Bamboo can be installed on both windows and glazed doors.
If you have a sunny and airy room with wide windows and fully-glazed doors, bamboo window shades and blinds are a perfect choice. The good thing is that there are several aesthetically pleasing set-ups in which you can employ these handsomely textured window treatments while still remaining an affordable option for designers and style-conscious interior decorators.
Lately bamboo wood has seen an increase in popularity due to its "green" properties and for the growing niche of interior designers with an emphasis on going ‘green’, bamboo is one of the most ecologically-friendly natural wood shades and blinds on the market today.
So, no matter what you desire as an overall design theme, bamboo will always fit in, which means that any interior can benefit from the use of bamboo window treatments.
© 2010 viryabo
Comments Are Welcome
SJKSJK from delray beach, florida on January 25, 2012:
I am considering bamboo shades for my lanaii. I like the look.
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on May 24, 2010:
To answer your question, i recommend that your bamboo window shades or any other natural material blinds you may wish to use, be separated allowing the white frame to show. Placing them side by side without any space gives it a bland look.
The contrast of the white spaces between blinds will look more appealing to the eye.
Hope this helps. Thanks for visiting.
Gloria on May 24, 2010:
I have 3 windows side by side and will have to hang my shades outside the window frame, do you recommend leaving some space (white frame) between each shade, or hang them side by side without any space in between?
Also, where can I purchase those curtains?
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on May 24, 2010:
Hello Maria. The curtains are lovely - quite simple without any fuss or frills. Bamboo window shades and the soft curtains can be found at malls and department stores that retail readymade curtains, blinds and shades. And if you can sew, they are the easiest to make.
Check how to make them here...http://home-furnishing.suite101.com/article.cfm/di...
Thanks for the visit.
Maria on May 24, 2010:
I love this combination of bamboo shades and curtains. Do you know where I can find the curtains?
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on May 09, 2010:
Decowindowfilms, thanks for the window film tips. Must research on that.
Thanks for visiting.
decowindowfilms on May 09, 2010:
Great Hub. Window treatments can really change the overall look of your residence.
It's great to use eco-friendly treatments as well.
Utilizing decorative window film is another great way change the overall look, and keep the room cooler at the same.
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on April 30, 2010:
Hi Pretty, thanks so much for visiting and for your very nice comments.
prettydarkhorse from US on April 30, 2010:
nice hub because it is well researched and I love bamboos as well, Maita
viryabo (author) from Lagos, Nigeria. on April 06, 2010:
Hello Habee. bamboo window shades do look great in bathrooms. Thanks for visiting & for finding the time to leave a comment.
Holle Abee from Georgia on April 05, 2010:
These are cool! We have them in one of our bathrooms.