Archana is an admirer of nature. She likes to see its wonderful creations—flora and fauna, mountains, sky—and put her thoughts on paper.
Black Roses are fascinating flowers symbolizing power, strength, and passionate love. Black roses do not exist in nature. They are actually exquisite tones of deep maroon, red or purple blooms. It is a white rose dyed in black, famously known as black beauty, baccarat, Tuscany superb, black jade, barcarole, black velvet rose, and baccarat.
Ear-Pleasing History of Black Beauty
The history of black roses is undeniably ear-pleaser dates back to Ancient Greece and Rome. It was used as a symbol of power, black magic, mutiny, and resistance for anarchist and anti-authoritarian groups. The dark blooms are mystic and continue in present pop culture.
Meanwhile, they only look black because of their dark and deep shade. There is no such thing as a 100% black rose. However, genetic engineers and breeders are still trying to make one.
The correct gardening techniques can make an extremely dark flower with a hint of burgundy or red. You can start with a rose variety that produces dark flowers with a velvety texture.
If you are interested in gardening Black Rose in your backyard, know about all the requirements and tips to grow them properly. Here are some of the most advanced tips:
- Plant any dark, velvety rose variety in sandy soil in your garden. If you feel that your soil is heavy, you need to add some organic mulch or sand.
- Black rose gardening needs partial shade to grow healthy, and you are advised to plant them in a shaded place. They take enough space to bloom. After planting, spread the soil slackly around and then water for healthy nourishment.
- You might be very careful about the soil because it should be kept hardly moist to grow black rose properly. Make sure the water should not stay as this can create a problem. The germination can be uneven with mold growth.
- During summer, make sure the black roses watered at least thrice a week.
- Regular fertilizing is very important, so you need to buy fertilizer specially made for roses. Keep this point on your fingertip to use organic fertilizer for consistent growth.
- Mostly black roses need fertilization at the start of their growing season and once in their growing process.
Tuscany Superb Prune Season
- The black beauty should prune in winter. For this purpose, January and February months are best. Prune the black velvet rose down that only 4-6 inches are left on the stem.
- Watch out for rose bush for brown spots on petals or leaves because the plant is delicate and defenseless to fungus. If you find fungus on petals or leaf then immediately treat your rose plant with a fungicide.
Black roses need special care while planting them and following these tips can help you grow healthy blossoms in your garden.
Are There Real Black Flowers In Nature?
Finding the pure black flower is as difficult as finding the secret behind the existence of the Earth, birth, and death. It is similar to revelation with black beauty; existing blossom varieties in the market today as black is actually purple or burgundy after a closer look.
Examples of almost black flowers are:
- Black Hollyhock
- Chocolate Cosmos
- Black Pansy
- Hellebore Black Flower
- Black Petunia
- Black Dahlia
- Black Bat Orchid (Tacca chantrieri)
- Queen of the Night Tulip
- Calla Lily (Black Star)
Although these beauties are not true black flowers, there is no denying the obvious that they are just as striking and mysterious as the Earth.
When You Should Present Black Roses
- The classic and striking black rose species make it a versatile, power-player in the world of flowers.
- You can send your sympathy to support a grieving friend or pay tribute to your loved ones on the anniversary of death.
- For an eloquent hostess gift or a unique conversation starter for a formal dinner party, you can gift these black beauties to impress.
- You can also present a bouquet of black roses to your love to show your devotion or passionate love on Sweetest Day, Valentine’s Day, or simply embarking on a new journey.
- The velvety blooms of black roses are beautiful, and an eye-catcher fits perfectly in your every event and life.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Archana Das