The Most Notable Flower and Garden Shows
There are a number of flower show competitions held in the United States each year. I encourage you to click on the links in the article to get the most up-to-date information about upcoming shows. Some of the more notable ones include:
- The Philadelphia Flower Show is the oldest and largest indoor flower show in the country. It is held annually in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and features a wide variety of flowers, plants, and garden displays.
- The Boston Flower & Garden Show, which is held annually in Boston, Massachusetts, features exhibits by some of the top garden designers and landscapers in the region.
- The Northwest Flower & Garden Show, which is held annually in Seattle, Washington, features a wide variety of flowers, plants, and garden displays, as well as seminars and workshops on gardening and landscaping.
These are just a few examples of the many flower show competitions held in the United States but many state and local fair also have flower show competitions, each with its own unique theme and each showcasing the talents of flower and garden enthusiasts from around the country.
The Philadelphia Flower Show
The Philadelphia Flower Show is one of the largest and most well-known flower shows in the United States. It is organized by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) and is typically held annually in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) is a nonprofit organization that promotes horticulture and gardening in the state of Pennsylvania, USA.
The PHS website provides a wealth of information about gardening, including articles and resources on a wide variety of topics such as gardening tips, plant information and gardening inspiration. They also have a section on the website dedicated to the Philadelphia Flower Show where you can find more information about the event, including upcoming dates and ticket information, as well as information on how to participate as an exhibitor.
Additionally, they offer a variety of educational programs and events throughout the year, such as workshops, lectures, and tours, that are open to the public and are intended to educate and inspire people of all ages and skill levels about the world of gardening. They also have a section for their members, where they can find resources and support for their efforts in promoting horticulture and gardening.
The requirements and rules for the Philadelphia Flower Show may change from year to year so it's best to check their website for the most up-to-date information about the show's entry requirements and deadlines.
The Boston Flower & Garden Show
The Boston Flower & Garden Show is an annual event that typically takes place in late winter or early spring in Boston, Massachusetts. The show features a wide variety of exhibits, including gardens and floral displays, as well as workshops, seminars, and demonstrations on gardening and landscaping. It is a showcase of the latest trends, techniques, and products in the horticultural industry, attracting both professional and amateur gardeners.
The show is usually held at the Seaport World Trade Center and tickets are required for entry. The event is organized by the Massachusetts Horticultural Society.
There are several ways to enjoy the Boston Flower & Garden Show:
- Exhibiting: You can enter your garden or floral design as an exhibit in the show. The Massachusetts Horticultural Society typically releases information on how to apply to be an exhibitor in the months leading up to the event.
- Competitions: The show also hosts several competitions, including the New England Growers Competition and the New England Landscapers Competition. Information on how to enter these competitions is also typically released by the society in the months leading up to the event.
- Volunteering: You can also get involved by volunteering at the show. The Massachusetts Horticultural Society typically welcomes volunteers to help with various tasks, such as setting up, working at the information booth, or assisting with workshops and demonstrations.
- Show Visitor: You can also attend the show as a visitor. Tickets for the show can be purchased in advance or at the door, and you can enjoy all the exhibits and activities the show has to offer.
It's always best to check the official website or social media page of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society for the most up-to-date information on how to enter the show or any of the competitions.
The Northwest Flower & Garden Show
The Northwest Flower & Garden Show, organized by the Northwest Flower and Garden Festival, is an annual event that typically takes place in late winter or early spring in Seattle, Washington. The show features a wide variety of exhibits, including gardens and floral displays, as well as workshops, seminars, and demonstrations on gardening and landscaping.
The show is considered one of the largest and most well-regarded flower and garden shows in the Pacific Northwest. It features beautiful and inspiring gardens and landscape displays, seminars and workshops by top gardening experts, and a wide variety of products and services for gardening and outdoor living. The show is usually held at the Washington State Convention Center and tickets are required for entry.
Lesser-Known Garden/Flower Events
- Chicago Flower & Garden Show: Hosted annually by the Chicago Botanic Garden, this show features a wide variety of gardens and floral displays, as well as workshops and seminars on gardening and landscaping.
- Pacific Orchid Exposition: Hosted annually in San Francisco, this show is the largest orchid show on the West Coast of the United States. It features thousands of orchids, as well as workshops and seminars on orchid care and cultivation.
- The Planting Field Arboretum State Historic Park: This is a 400-acre estate in Oyster Bay, New York that features a wide variety of gardens and landscapes, including a formal rose garden, a rock garden, and a Japanese garden, as well as a large collection of rhododendrons and azaleas.
- The Garden Conservancy Open Days Program: This program offers the opportunity to visit private, exceptional American gardens not typically open to the public. Gardens open for the program are located all over the country and are open on certain days of the year.
- The Garden Club of America Flower Shows: This is a federation of more than 200 garden clubs and several related organizations throughout the United States. They organize flower shows and competitions across the country, featuring different themes and categories.
The dates and schedules of these events can change from year to year, so it is always best to check the official websites or social media pages of the organizers for the most up-to-date information.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2023 Mike and Dorothy McKenney