Day to Day Use is Expected
If you have leather furniture or goods in your home, you are well aware of the cost to purchase them, and the length of time you expect them to last for you and your family!
Many people make the simple mistake of using leather furniture day after day, without ever considering that it is actually an organic material, it is a skin, and it needs to be treated as such. With out regular maintenance, your leather can lose its soft feel, start fading, and even begin to break down as you use it. Oftentimes, the little signs of age, wear and tear go unnoticed until suddenly your realize there is a hole worn through the armrest of your leather sofa, or there's cracks all over the cushions in the leather recliner!
\Once these types of damage occur, the only solution is leather repair and leather furniture restoration, but my goal is to help you prevent such issues from happening to the leather in your home.
Leather Furniture Care Supplies Needed
soft towels x2
to clean and wipe
to mix cleaner
liquid dish soap (like Dawn)
to make cleaner
Lexol Leather Conditioner
to condition and moisturize
Repeat these Simple & Easy Steps Every 6-8 weeks to keep leather happy
- Take your spray bottle and fill it with cool water, adding 5 drops of Dawn or any liquid dish soap that is bleach-free. Put top back on and shake gently to mix.
- Take one clean soft towel, like a microfiber towel, and spray cleaner onto the towel until it is very moist but not soaked and not dripping wet.
- Gently scrub all areas of your leather furniture with the cleaner mixture moistened towel, using gentle circular motion, remoisten the towel as needed. This removes any built up oils and sweat, as well as preventing oils, dirt, sweat, dust etc from coagulating within the leather's pores...this is what causes discoloration and can eventually lead to dry rot.
- After you are satisfied that you have cleaned all areas throroughly enough, allow the leather to dry for 30-45 minutes.
- Take a fresh, clean microfiber towel and spray it with Lexol Leather Conditioner. Apply the Lexol to the leather, especially to the high traffic areas, like seat cushions, arm and head rests. Massage the Lexol into the leather. The leather will have a renewed softness and shine.
- Repeat these steps every 6-8 weeks, to keep your leather looking it's best, and to stop damage from everyday use from occuring! Your leather will thank you by lasting for many decades.
Help your Leather last a Lifetime
All you need to help your leather last for a lifetime of enjoyment is to follow these simple steps. If you ever notice that there are other issues that have occured, like deep scratches or tears, holes or major changes in texture, it is best to have a team of leather repair professionals help you restore those areas quickly. Large tears or scrapes, and heavily worn areas that are no longer smooth but instead feel more like suede or thinner, need to be leather repaired by professionals to prevent further damage from occuring.
Many people don't realize that you can easily help your leather to maintain its vitality with regular and gentle cleaning and conditioning. And leather repair is very much underutilized.
Leather repair can salvage areas that maybe a pet has chewed or your jeans has snagged open a rip. These types of unsightly damage need not be ignored and are certainly no reason to toss out your leather furniture! They can be smoothed over with leather repair, and then when you continue your regular maintenance, the leather will continue to shine for years to come. Be wary of do it yourself leather repair kits that boast miraculous results! I have tried a few and only found them to be glue or paste that made the damaged area of my leather more like concrete, which then ruined that cushion totally. Like my mother always said, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
I hope that you have found this article to be helpful and I am glad to have shared with you these informative tips that have helped me!