A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well as the body. - Benjamin Franklin Read
Next to food and clothing which are the basic needs of humans, there comes housing. Building a house which will eventually be called home is one of the greatest tasks of parents. This is the abode where love can be nurtured and sustained over the years whilst rearing and raising children. A house which the parents will provide should at least be secure and comfortable, a quaint place to grow up together with spouse and kids. A house can also serve as a laboratory where one can hone and polish skills that will be essential and beneficial in the coming years.
Here are the characteristics and features of an ideal house:
1. An idyllic house should meet the physical and social needs of the family. It must be equipped with:
- A kitchen to cook food and a dining room to eat and enjoy meals or even snacks.
- Bedroom where the each member can able to rest, sleep and unwind, and have a sense of privacy.
- A bathroom to meet the personal necessities of the family.
- A living room to host guests.
- A garden and lawn where they can plant and grow trees, vegetables, and ornamental plants, and can be a good place where kids can play and have some fun.
- The rooms in the house should be planned well as all areas utilized in connected activities near to each other.
- The kitchen should be near the dining room to allow foods being served easily during mealtime.
- The living room should be near the dining room to allow the guests to be served easily during meal time.
- The bathroom should be adjoined to the bedrooms for personal necessities.
- The washing area should be positioned at the back of the house so that the clothes will be hanged in the clotheslines with relative ease.
3. Rooms in the house should neither be too small nor too big, but spacious enough.
4. There should be wide enough windows for proper ventilation and lighting will aid in contributing to the family’s good health.
5. It should have sufficient supply of water for mundane tasks such as laundering, bathing and other personal needs of the family.
6. Work Areas should be planned to prevent crowded space and walking back and forth from one place to another.
If you are on a budget go ahead build a house that will meet your requirements and needs and there is no need for you to build a big and expensive one. If the family’s social, physical and psychological needs are satisfied, a humble, simple and small abode can be an ideal house for you.
My first hub in the HubChallenge.
Families and the government should work hand and hand to help curb the rising housing problems. Over the years severe social problems created these alarming problems in housing.
Space to build houses in cities continues to plummet each year and if ever houses are built many of them were built using inferior materials. In third world countries and developing countries there is some problems with regards to water and power supply, garbage disposal and drainage.
The world’s population seemed unstoppable although we are in digital age; there are millions of people worldwide that are affected with housing problems. As such they are forced to live in houses that don’t provide comfort and convenience and proper sanitation. If housing problems is not addressed many would be vulnerable to weather and calamities and even different forms of sicknesses will inevitably surface.
Here are the causes of housing problems:
- Migration of people to urban areas from rural areas. As the Filipino saying goes, “the ants will go to a place where there is sugar,” and this is very true. People from the villages will attempt to make both ends meet by finding their luck in urban areas to seek better employment and an opportunity to have better income to sustain their needs and wants. But most ended up unfortunate and most languishes in the pit of despair. If people go to the urban areas and end up with nothing they may resort to illegal and criminal activities in order to survive. Prostitutes, criminals and the like are the testament of this worse scenario that afflicts many urban areas worldwide. Whilst many become malevolent others will be contented living and muddle through the already congested squatter areas.
- Robust population growth – As an urban area develops it will also equate to a rapid increase in population. If a family is not earning well there is great chance that they will not be able to come up with houses that can support their needs.
- Poverty due unemployment – Majority of the people who are unemployed have problems building a house for their family. They cannot also afford to even rent a house or an apartment and this will force them to build a house in a private land as squatters which will be a cause of land disputes in the future.
- Industrialization – As an urban area progresses more and more companies, manufacturing firms and business establishments will be erected. Workers then would find ways to save on transportation by finding houses for rent near their work. Some of these workers will then try to bring their family and if they cannot be able to afford to buy a lot and build a house, there is a big possibility that they will squat.
Housing problems breeds undesirable elements thus it is significant to know its causes.
My fifth hub in the HubChallenge
Suggested Readings / Related Links
- How to get along well with your family
- How to be Good Parents Through Sports
- How to grow in your family :: How to be a good and cool member of the family
- How to plan recreational activities for families
- How to Have a Safe Summer Outing or Vacation
- The Different Housing Problems of the Family
- Filipino Family Values
- The Typical Filipino Family
- Characteristics and Features of an Ideal House
- Necessary traits to keep the family in harmony
- Characteristics typical to different positions in the family
- What are the needs of parents and children
- Effective Tips to Raise Children With Special Needs and Disabilities
- How to Boost Your Child's Eating Habits
- How to Survive Grief When Your Loved One Dies
Justin Drezette on October 26, 2015:
this information have no intrest on March 03, 2013:
Bacterial Vaginosis - Other Treatment
Some women have used Lactobacillus acidophilus in yogurt or supplements to treat bacterial vaginosis. But dairy lactobacillus does not work for bacterial vaginosis. This is because dairy lactobacillus is not the kind of bacteria that normally live in the vagina.4
More research is needed to find out if the types of lactobacillus normally found in a healthy vagina may work to treat bacterial vaginosis.
Gener and Emily Geminiano (author) from The Land Where Salt is Abundant on June 14, 2011:
Nice to hear that Denise thanks for the visit...
Denise Handlon from North Carolina on March 07, 2011:
Hi Emilgen-wonderful idea for a hub. My ideal home would include the most divine bathroom with a sunken tub / jacuzzi spray and lots of room, along with a separate shower also with lots of room and an outside window to bring in fresh air. Oh, and a skylight to bathe in the evening with moonlight shining from above.