Rajan is a botany and chemistry major. He has worked as a poultry breeder for 23 years, breeding layer and broiler parents.
All of us are aware of how important toothpaste is for our teeth. How nice and fresh our teeth and mouth feel after being brushed with toothpaste. But for it, our teeth would yellow, develop cavities, rot and decay.
But did you know that this very toothpaste is a multi-tasker as well? That it can not only clean but whiten, polish, buff, smoothen, and more. In fact, do a multitude of other things?
And yes, the toothpaste we are talking about here is the good old, simple white toothpaste and not any of the fancy ones like the gel, whitening or the rest.
So here we go...
What's In a Toothpaste?
So what all ingredients does a basic toothpaste have? Let's have a look...
First and foremost, all kinds of toothpaste have abrasives. Compounds like hydrated silica, hydrated alumina, calcium carbonate, and dicalcium phosphates are the ones incorporated. This is what aids in removing stains off the teeth.
Toothpaste also contains detergents, which again are cleaning agents and they are the reason for foam in the paste. Sodium lauryl sulphate is the most common detergent used.
Fluoride is another very important component of toothpaste that helps fight not only cavities but also strengthen the enamel. It is found in the form of sodium fluoride, stannous fluoride or sodium monofluorophosphate.
Also found are ingredients like glycerol, propylene glycol and sorbitol called humectants that keep the toothpaste moist, binders like Carrageenan (seaweed gum), gum arabic, sodium carboxymethylcellulose and magnesium aluminium silicate that helps in binding together the different ingredients, and preservatives like sodium benzoate, methylparaben, ethylparaben, in non-fluoride toothpaste.
And finally, flavouring and sweeteners, which help make the toothpaste taste good, making brushing with it a sweet experience. Weren't it for them, toothpaste would taste bitter and unappealing to taste, so much so, we would avoid brushing with it.
But we are digressing from the topic at hand. It's not about what constituents go in toothpaste but what other uses a toothpaste has. So, without further ado, let's see some of these.
Some Amazing Uses For Toothpaste That You Would Like To Try
1. As we all know toothpaste helps in keeping our teeth enamel shining. In a similar way, cleaning our nails with toothpaste will make them shine.
2. Toothpaste can be used to remove stains from the carpet. Apply toothpaste on the stains and rub it well. Then wipe it with a wet cloth to remove the stain. Similarly, toothpaste can be used on white clothes to remove stains.
3. If children have disfigured the walls in your home with crayon colours you can use toothpaste to remove these. Apply some toothpaste on a wet cloth and rub on the colours lightly.
4. Toothpaste can bring back the lost lustre to your silverware and silver ornaments. Put some toothpaste on a thin cotton cloth and polish them with this. Wash it with plain water when done.
5. If your CD's and DVD's have developed minor scratches and they either refuse to play or skip, you can apply some toothpaste on a thin cotton cloth and rub their surface with a rotational movement from inside out lightly. Then wipe them with a fine wet cloth. They will start playing most of the time.
6. You can get rid of the bad odour in the baby's milk bottle by using toothpaste. Add a little toothpaste and some hot water. Screw on the lid and shake it vigorously. Then wash it with plain water. This will eradicate the foul odour.
7. Keep the plate of your iron shining by rubbing some toothpaste on it. It will remove all the black/brown stains and mineral deposits on the plate.
8. Toothpaste will also work well to clean the glass of your reading glasses or goggles. Rub some paste directly onto the glass and then rinse with plain water.
9. Fill small holes on the walls left by nails, hooks etc with some white toothpaste. Fill and let dry, and then paint them over with white paint.
10. Remove all dirt and grime off refrigerator seals with toothpaste and a toothbrush.
11. If your hands stink after working with stuff like onions, fish or anything else, just wash them with toothpaste to get rid of the awful odour. They will smell awesome just like your mouth does after brushing.
12. Prevent your bathroom mirror from fogging due to hot water steam. Rub a little toothpaste on it and wipe clean before you have a bath. Remove scum from glass shower doors as well.
13. Toothpaste works amazingly well to remove dark, ugly. scuff marks from your sneakers. Just apply toothpaste and rub them clean.
14. Remove minor scratches from car headlights, mobile screens etc by rubbing with the old faithful toothpaste yet again for a brighter headlight and a shinier cell phone screen.
15. And did you know that besides your sink, you can also clean your toilet bowl to sparkle, with some dabs of toothpaste rubbed off with a cotton cloth?
Go ahead, use these tips and have fun!
Get your basic toothpaste here. Use for brushing or cleaning!
More Articles By The Author
- Lemongrass Herb, Lemongrass Tea, Lemongrass Essentia...
Lemongrass, the commonly used herb in Asian cuisine has immense benefits. It is also used to make lemongrass tea and lemongrass essential oil. Learn more about their health benefits...
- The Health And Nutritional Benefits Of Spirulina And...
Spirulina is one of the most nutritionally complete food. For an overview of its nutritional and health benefits, read on...
- How To Make Gold Water, Silver Water And Copper Wate...
Since ancient times metals have been used to treat various health conditions by the use of metal charged water. To learn more about this traditional Indian alternate therapy, read on...
- 2 Types Of Salts - Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) and Kala...
There are different types of salts available in the market. Read about 2 of these types of salt that are healthy for us-sendha namak or rock salt and kala namak or black salt and their health benefits...
- Health Benefits Of Himalayan Salt And Benefits Of So...
Salt is as essential a component of the human body as water. It is needed for various functions in the body. Himalayan salt is the only salt that provides all the essential minerals that the body needs. find out the health benefits of Himalayan salt
DIY: Toothpaste Hole In Wall Patch Hack for Quick and Easy Fix
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2016 Rajan Singh Jolly
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on February 01, 2020:
Glad you like the various uses of toothpaste. Thank you, asereht1970.
asereht1970 from Philippines on January 29, 2020:
This is new to me. I only use toothpaste for brushing my teeth. I will surely try to use the above mentioned use of toothpaste.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on July 13, 2018:
Glad this article provided some ideas you could use. Thanks for pinning it. Your visit and comments are much appreciated ps.
Patricia Scott from North Central Florida on July 12, 2018:
wow I never knew...I am always looking for great ideas for cleaning that I have not used before . I will be trying out these. Pinning
Angels are on the way to you ps
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on July 05, 2017:
Nice to know you like these uses for toothpaste Peggy. Thank you for visiting.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on July 03, 2017:
I knew of a few other uses for toothpaste but not nearly as many as you have given here in your article. I will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on June 20, 2017:
Thanks for the input.
Haider from Melbourne on May 06, 2017:
I've tried to cleaned a sticker on my laptop with toothpaste and it worked. I was hesitant to apply it on my laptop but the result was quite good.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 15, 2016:
Karen, toothpaste is always good to have on hand as it is a very handy cleaner. I'm glad you now know more uses for it. And yes, not to forget the toothbrush.
I appreciate your visit and comments very much. Have a great weekend!
Karen Hellier from Georgia on May 14, 2016:
These are great uses for toothpaste and I thank you for sharing them. The only unusual thing I knew that toothpaste did was to clean diamond rings. It is especially good when traveling to be able to clean my engagement ring before a nice dinner out, with toothpaste. I bring along a travel sized toothbrush brush just to have on hand for that very purpose. Have a great day!
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 12, 2016:
Thanks Devika. I hope you can use these to benefit if needed.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 12, 2016:
Awesome! I learned lots from you about the other uses of toothpastes. Informative and useful.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 12, 2016:
@Rochelle, toothpaste does a wonderful job as a cleaner for silver. Hope you try it as well.
@Bill, thanks for your visit my friend.
@Nell, maybe you could try using it now. All the best.
@MsDora, sure and thanks for stopping by.
@Flourish, thank you.
FlourishAnyway from USA on May 12, 2016:
This was amazing! I've used it as filler for nail holes but the rest are new to me. Very helpful!
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on May 11, 2016:
Great information. Numbers 7 and 11 are on my new try-out list. Thank you.
Nell Rose from England on May 11, 2016:
I used to laugh at a friend when she used toothpaste for spots, but after reading this I realised I was wrong and she was right! interesting stuff, nell
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on May 11, 2016:
What a very useful article this is. Thank you for the research on this. I had hear about removing stains but the rest of the list was a revelation.
Rochelle Frank from California Gold Country on May 11, 2016:
Thank you, Rajan. I never thought of using it to polish silver, but I have used it with a brush to clean rings and jewelry set with stones. It gets into all the crevices and really shines them up.
Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. on May 11, 2016:
@RTalloni, it might seem odd but, yes, it's worth it.
@lions, please do. Thanks!
@hari, thank you.
@Jodah, glad you found some tips you could use. Many thanks!
John Hansen from Gondwana Land on May 11, 2016:
This is a vey helpful hub, Rajan. I knew about some of these uses for toothpaste, but others were new to me..like filling holes in walls and painting over. That is a great tip.
Hari Prasad S from Bangalore on May 10, 2016:
CJ Kelly from the PNW on May 10, 2016:
I'm going to try it on my sink. Will keep you posted.
RTalloni on May 10, 2016:
Very interesting tips. I believe I'll keep a tube with my cleaning supplies from now on.