Chinese sayings are simple, short and witty but they give a direct message that will reach the heart and mind of the readers, they are condensed truth that are evident in our daily life. Chinese proverbs has always been profound and universal.
- A person without a smiling face should not open a shop.
- Clumsy birds have need of early flight.
- An old broom has its value.
- In a crisis people grow wisdom.
- Intelligence is endowed, but wisdom learned.
- Spilt water cannot be retrieved.
- One foot cannot stand on two boats
- Beware the person with a Buddha's mouth and a snake's heart.
- Good medicine is bitter to the taste.
- Good heart, good reward.
- Solitude is enjoyed only when one is at peace with oneself.
- One merits should not be a hindrance to one's progress
- Review past lessons to discover anew.
- Without experience we will not gain full knowledge.
- To accommodate all things, enlarge your heart
- One who does not like to read is equal to one who cannot read.
- A night without moon or stars is like an ignorant mind.
- Common sense goes further than a lot of learning.
- A great general need not blow his own trumpet.
- Better to make a net than to yearn for fish at the edge of a pond.
- Ants can move even a mighty mountain.
- What is scare is valued, what is plentiful is not.
- Patience is the wisdom of waiting.
- Rats know the way of rats.
- If there are no clouds, there will be no rain
- Patience is a tree with bitter roots that bears sweet fruits
- Genuine gold fears no fire.
- Order moves slowly but surely disorder always in a hurry.
- What is good for the hive is good for the bee.
- Unless there is opposing wind, a kite cannot rise.
- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
- To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art.
- Men in the game are blind, men outside see clearly.
- To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time, is to meet an old one.
- Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long time, you learn about the character of your friend.
- Tell me, I'll forget, show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand
- A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials.
Experience is the mother of wisdom.
More Chinese Sayings and Proverbs
- Witty and Wise Chinese Proverbs - A delightful collection of Chinese proverbs which gives us a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the Chinese people. A collection of Chinese Proverbs for the young and the old.
jojo on April 25, 2014:
"Rats know the way of rats. "
This is so true.
Here is another one:
"When the cat leaves, the rats come out to play"
Ochala Odol Ochala on September 20, 2013:
wonderful, I like Chinese wise sayings they are inspiring and future promising
mario on June 04, 2013:
A person without a smiling face should not open a shop. its very funny and I love it... so please always smile.
Nhlanhla on March 11, 2012:
The wisdom of the Chinese is inspiring. I am a South African and I find Chinese wisdom great; it compares to the Zulu wisdom of my proud Zulu heritage. I admire the wisdom of Confucius and Chairman Mao Tse Tung
sine on September 21, 2011:
is there a chinese proverb wishing good luck with studies?
William on September 15, 2011:
Not not to be nit picking, but the picture you posted of a parade are not dragons, they are Qilin (mandarin) or Keilun (cantonese).
Zubyre Parvez from East London on August 10, 2010:
Sweet. Quotes with pictures, interesting combination!
One's achievements should not be a hindrance to one's progress - feeling that one. Sometimes we affirm what we've done to the expense of what still needs to be done!
proverbs man on April 10, 2010:
very nice. i want to thank you for posting these great quotes. i'm a collector of chinese quotes too, and you have good ones
Beth Arch from Pearl of the Orient Seas on January 03, 2010:
Great hub! I really love Chinese sayings, in fact, I have a collection of them and had memorized some of them.
Thanks for sharing.
Nancy's Niche on April 27, 2009:
Great site and full of wisdom in short phrases…My favorites; Rats know the way of rats, solitude is enjoyed only when one is at peace with oneself, and Intelligence is endowed, but wisdom learned.