Anamika S. Jain has been a social media consultant for six years. She has written more than 200 articles on relationships and dating.
Buy Best Vampire Romance and Horror Novels Online
I have read countless Vampire Novels that if I am asked to appear for an Exam where the Questions are based on Vampire Stories I may pass with distinction. Reading was always a passion to me but I read the first Vampire Novel during the school holidays after Class Ten. Dracula by Bram Stoker was the first Vampire Novel I read and ever since I have read several from various authors. Though I do not believe that Vampires exist I have always loved the Stories of these blood sucking beasts falling in love. Those days (25 years ago) when I started reading such books many people were scared to read such stuff, forget reading them at night. But today Vampire Stories are all the rage, thanks to the popularity of Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight Series. It may also be noted that in India we also have a Hindi Serial telecasted on Star One Channel called Pyaar Ki Yeh Ek Kahani which is said to be inspired from Twilight and Vampire Diaries.
Top 10 Vampire Romance or Horror Novels
There are many Vampire Fictions I like But If I have to pick the best of the lot I have read then my top 10 Picks would be
- Bram Stockers Dracula: This is the first novel in the horror genre which I have read and I have read it at least a two dozen times. Dracula is a horror fiction story, written in 1897 by Irish novelist Bram Stoker. I think novel could have been the basis of modern vampire fiction. It has also been the basis for countless films and plays. My favorite among them is the Movie Bram Stoker's Dracula directed by Francis Ford Coppola starring Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder and Anthony Hopkins. The antagonist of the novel is Count Dracula. The other major characters in the novel are Jonathan Harker and his fiancée Mina. The story is written as a series of letters and journal entries supplemented by accounts from newspapers written by several narrators who are also the main characters in the novel.
- Robin McKinley’s Sunshine: Sunshine by RobinMcKinley is an excellent Vampire Story. It is the story of a young woman Rae Seddon who is nicknamed Sunshine who gets abducted by a gang of vampires. Her fellow captive was a vampire named Constantine who is a rival to the gang of vampires who captured Rae. Constantine was meant to slowly die of hunger and exposure to sunlight. Though Sunshine was meant to be Con’s dinner he controls his urges during the night and do not attack her. During the daylight Sunshine helps the Vampire to survive using the magical powers she gained from her Grandmother. Con and Rae makes a wonderful partnership and finally manages to escape together.
- Twilight by Stephanie Meyer: I like all the books in the Twilight Series including Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Twilight is the story of a human named Isabella Swan (also known as Bella) and her unusual romance with a Vampire called Edward Cullen. Though Edward is in love with Bella he has to protect her from himself and has to keep his passion in check, lest he is driven to suck Bella’s blood being a Vampire. As the romance between Bella and Edward blossom they face numerous obstacles because of their mortal-vampire relationship including those from their family and threats from other more vicious vampires. Apart from Edward and Bella another prominent character in the Series is Jacob Black. I have read all the Stephanie Meyer’s Best Sellers in one sitting. The Twilight Saga is romantic and suspenseful. It can be a perfect gift for any book lover. The series has won numerous awards and also is the basis for a movie series starring Robert Pattinson and Kristin Stewart.
- Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice: Interview with the Vampire was published in the year 1976 which featured the enigmatic vampire called Lestat which was followed by several sequels collectively known as the Vampire Chronicles. It has the story as told to a young reporter Daniel Molloy by a vampire called Louis recounting his life of darkness. Louis was a wealthy sugar plantation owner in New Orleans in the late 1700's who took to the habit of drinking after he lost his wife and daughter. While drowning down his sorrows he catches the eye of Lestat, a vampire. The story then spans his life and the many life changing incidents he experiences. The story then tells of Louis struggle to take human life and live as a vampire and how they made a young girl called Claudia a vampire. Louis and the girl Claudia eventually escape Lestat's tyranny by killing him and fleeing to Paris. However, Claudia gets murdered by the vampires in revenge for killing Lestat but Louis gets rescued by the leader of this group. The story eventually brings us into the 1990s where we discover Lestat did not die after all and Louis still roams the streets. This novel was made into a film named Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles in 1994 starring Brad Pitt as Louis, Tom Cruise as Lestat and Kirsten Dunst as Claudia.
- Born To Bite by Lynsay Sands: Born to Bite released on August 31, 2010 is the latest in the long line of works by Linsay Sand. When Vampire Armand Argeneau’s life mate and two other women close to him died mysteriously A vampire undercover cop Eshe d'Aureus is sent to investigate a murder. His brother Lucien enables Eshe to get onto Armand's farm. But romance bloom between Eshe and her prime suspect Armand! Eshe and Armand are shocked to realize they are life mates. Neither is pleased with this revelation as she fears she loves a psychopathic murderer and he fears the three women he cherished were murdered by an unknown adversary who probably would make Eshe the next target. More than a Vampire Romance, Born to Bite is a super investigative thriller which catches the fancy of readers.
- The Vampire Diaries by L J Smith: I cannot pick a single one in the Series as I like them all. All of them including The Awakening, The Struggle, The Fury, Dark Reunion, The Return: Nightfall, The Return : Shadow Souls - all are equally good and catch the fancy of readers. In the Awakening published in 1991 we have the story of a high school student Elena Gilbert who is torn between two vampire brothers Stefan Salvatore and Damon Salvatore. Elena is a doppelganger of the Brothers former girlfriend Lady Katherine (I think the Piya and Maithali characters in PKYEK is inspired from this) for whom they fought and dead for. While Stephan avoids Elena initially for this reason, it is what made Damon want to pursue Elena. The Vampire Diaries has also been adapted into a Television Series in 2009.
- Vampire Kisses – The Beginning by Ellen Schrieber: Vampire Kisses is a series of books written by Ellen Schreiber. The Books in Series are Vampire Kisses, Kissing Coffins, Vampireville, Dance with a Vampire, Coffin Club, Royal Blood, Love Bites and Cryptic Cravings. Vampire Kisses -The Beginning Includes the 3 volumes in the Series Vampire Kisses, Kissing Coffins and Vampireville which tells the Story of 16-year old Raven Madison and her vampire boyfriend Alexander Sterling and the conflicts they must overcome to stay together.
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead: Vampire Academy is a bestselling series of six young-adult paranormal romance novels namely Vampire Academy, Frostbite, Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise, Spirit Bound and Last Sacrifice by American author Richelle Mead. Vampire Academy is the forbidden romance of Rosemarie Hathaway, a seventeen-year-old Dhampir girl, who is training to be a bodyguard for her best friend, a Moroi Vampire Princess., Vasilisa Dragomir. In the process of learning how to defeat Strigoi (the undead and evil vampires) in St. Vladimir's Academy, Rose finds herself caught in a forbidden romance with her handsome instructor, Dimitri Belikov, while having an unbreakable bond with Lissa.
- Demon from the Dark by Krestly Cole: Demon from the Dark is the tenth book in the immense popular Immortals after Dark series by Kresley Cole. It says the unusual love story of Malkome Slaine a demon outcast poisoned with vampire blood and Carrow Graie who is a young witch. In order for Malkom and Carrow to survive, he must unleash both the demon and vampire inside him and while doing so he has to protect his love from himself. This is a top quality paranormal romance and makes an excellent read.
- The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause: The Silver Kiss was published in the year 1990. After having read Blood and Chocolate I was not very hopeful about The Silver Kiss from the same author. But this one was different. It is an unusual love story of a teenage girl called Zoe and a Vampire named Simon. There is no chance of you guessing how it ends. I should say that it is one of the best Vampire Novels I have read.
More Interesting Vampire Story Books
If you love Vampire Stories here are some more interesting Vampire Romance, Mystery or Horror Novels/Series you can check
- After Midnight by Carol Finch, Colleen Faulkner & Karen Ranney
- Anita Blake series of Books
- A Darker Dream by Amanda Ashley
- A Deeper Hunger by Sabine Kells
- A Girl’s Guide to Vampires by Katie MacAlister
- Blood Ninja by Nick Lake
- Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward
- Classic Vampire Romance by Anne Rice
- Cave of Terror by Amber Dawn Bell
- Chronicles of Vladimir Tod by Heather Brewer
- Carmilla by Joseph Le Fanu
- Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater Rhodes
- Dream Snatcher by Sabine Kells
- Dark-Hunter Novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
- Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
- Dark Needs At Night's by Kresley Cole
- Dark Stranger by Susan Sizemore
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
- Den of Shadows by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
- Dancing With the Devil by Keri Arthur
- House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
- Hearts in Darkness by Keri Arthur
- Hunters Moon by by David Devereux
- In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
- Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite
- Midnight Predator by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
- Night Runner by Max Turner
- Night After Night by Kathryn Smith
- Suck It Up by Brian Meehl
- Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris
- The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
- The Saga of Darren Shan by Darren Shan
- The Ariella Montero Series by Susan Hubbard
- The Bloodline Series by Kate Cary
- The Immortals by Alyson Noel
- The Blue Bloods Series by Melissa De La Cruz
- The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld
- The Evernight Series by Claudia Gray
- Thicker Than Water by Carla Jablonski
- The Last Vampire Series by Christopher Pike
- Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
- The Queen of the Damned by Anne Rice
- Uninvited by Amanda Marrone
- Undead and Unfinished by Mary Janice Davidson
- Vampire High by Douglas Rees
- Wicked Game by Jeri Smith
Anicham Pugal from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India on March 19, 2020:
Freda Warrington on June 29, 2014:
You might enjoy mine too... recently republished by Titan Books... A Taste of Blood Wine, A Dance in Blood Velvet, The Dark Blood of Poppies. Set in the 1920s with lots of "lush romanticism", they're a bit different from the usual. And they have lovely covers!
literatelibran from Williamsburg, Virginia on September 19, 2012:
This is a great list! Reading all of Stephanie Meyer's stuff in one sitting is quite a feat, too.
Madhurima on March 15, 2012:
it is really a pleasure to know about so many books on vampire stories
Lymmer on February 09, 2012:
I feel The Black Dagger Brotherhood should be number 1
jane westen on February 02, 2012:
D B Reynolds all 3 Authors good Vamp. Romance writers.
Buy Tessa Dawn and DB Reynolds used if
can, as they are more expensive for the
vchellen on December 29, 2011:
A great collection.. But Anita Blake series is missing.. and that's a real loss
Alankrita singh on December 03, 2011:
What a great collection .i want to read all of them.
Michelle on October 11, 2011:
You didn't mention Christing Feehan and Dark Prince
nikipa from Eastern Europe on August 28, 2011:
Very impressive collection! You did a great work!
Anamika S Jain (author) from Mumbai - Maharashtra, India on August 26, 2011:
Thanks for the wonderful comments!
@ exotic_kitten and lavadarowe Well, I don't know how I ended up missing the Anita Blake series of Books. Will add it.
lavadarowe on August 13, 2011:
Woot! More stuff to read. But you forgot Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series.
litemist from New York on August 11, 2011:
I agree, impressive list
marimccants on July 31, 2011:
Excellent list of romance vampire books! Great hub.
Tiffany Renee Whitfield from From: Galva, IL /// Live in: Bogalusa, LA on July 21, 2011:
Indeed A Very Useful hub, I'm a huge vampire lover and can't believe that the Anita Blake Series by Laurell K Hamilton isn't on it, check out my hub on that series, I'm unable to put down a book when It comes to that series hehe ^_^ Keep up the good work, I voted your page up = ]
Chinnidivs from India on May 25, 2011:
very useful hub! me too a vampire lover ... sorry sorry I meant " a vampire book lover" :))
prsarkar from New Delhi on January 01, 2011:
Quite interesting. Nice collection of books.