Lori Colbo loves to write about her Christian faith and the Bible to encourage and inspire others.
The Hope of Heaven for Believers in Jesus Christ
Heaven is number one on my bucket list. I know I won't get there until I kick the bucket or if the rapture comes. I believe, and with Scripture I'll confirm this, that every human being has a yearning for heaven, whether they realize it or not. Many people, when pondering the brevity of life, wonder, as the songstress Peggy Lee sang, "Is that all there is?" I think about heaven a lot. Strangely I've not written about it much. Today heaven is on my mind so I offer you today some Scriptures and thoughts and quotes from others about heaven.
The Bible teaches that all who put their faith in Christ for salvation and follow Him will spend eternity with God. The hope of heaven is all that holds me together when life gets brutal and dark. The hope of heaven also makes me glad when life is going good. The hope of heaven is something I try to share with those who do not believe, that they might turn to God.
What is Heaven?
"What is heaven?
It is the place which His love suggested,
which His genius invented,
which His bounty provided,
which His royalty has adorned,
which His wisdom has prepared,
which He himself glorifies;
in that heaven you are to be with Him forever."
~ Sermons Preached and Revised by C.H. Spurgeon (1877) pg. 527
- "And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43).
- "You are going now," said they, "to the Paradise of God; wherein you shall see the tree of life, and eat of the never-fading fruits thereof. And when you come there, you shall have white robes given you; and your walk and talk shall be every day with the King, even all the days of eternity. ~ John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress
- “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Could you build me a temple as good as that? Could you build me such a resting place?" (Isaiah 66:1).
What Will Heaven Be Like?
- If grace perfects nature it must expand all our natures into the full richness of the diversity which God intended when He made them, and heaven will display far more variety than hell. ” – C.S. Lewis, “Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer” (1964)
- "Surely it is not wrong for us to think and talk about Heaven. I like to find out all I can about it. I expect to live there through all eternity. If I were going to dwell in any place in this country, if I were going to make it my home, I would inquire about its climate, about the neighbors I would have — about everything, in fact, that I could learn concerning it. If soon you were going to emigrate, that is the way you would feel. Well, we are all going to emigrate in a very little while. We are going to spend eternity in another world. … Is it not natural that we should look and listen and try to find out who is already there and what is the route to take?" ~ D.L. Moody, Heaven: It's Hope, a sermon from Great Preaching of the Faith.
- O the novelty, the beauty, the grandeur of the heaven of heavens, the house not made with hands, the city that hath foundations infinitely surpassing the temple of Solomon, and the city of David! Beautiful was the earthly paradise, and beautiful the earthly Canaan; yea, beautiful is this habitable earth, where many of the enemies of God reside. What then must be the heavenly paradise, the heavenly Canaan, which God hath prepared for them that love him!" ~ William McEwen, A Select Set of Essays, Doctrinal and Practical (1769)
- "And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass. And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God is its light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light shall the nations walk; and the kings of the earth shall bring their glory into it, and its gates shall never be shut by day—and there shall be no night there" (Revelation 21:21-25).
- "There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him" (Revelation 22:3).
God's Throne and Christ at His Right Hand
- "But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God..." (Acts 7:55).
- "For the Christian, heaven is where Jesus is. We do not need to speculate on what heaven will be like. It is enough to know that we will be forever with Him. ~ William Barclay
- “The most thrilling thing about heaven is that Jesus Christ will be there. I will see Him face to face. Jesus Christ will meet us at the end of life’s journey.” ~ Billy Graham
- "The LORD is in His holy temple; the LORD'S throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men" (Psalm 11:4).
- "Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens" (Hebrews 8:1).
Longing for Heaven
- “Nothing is more often misdiagnosed than our homesickness for Heaven. We think that what we want is sex, drugs, alcohol, a new job, a raise, a doctorate, a spouse, a large-screen television, a new car, a cabin in the woods, a condo in Hawaii. What we really want is the person we were made for, Jesus, and the place we were made for, Heaven. Nothing less can satisfy us.” ~ Randy Alcorn, Heaven
- "The fact that our heart yearns for something Earth can't supply is proof that heaven must be our home." ~ C. S. Lewis
- "The rougher the voyage the more the mariners long for port, and heaven becomes more and more “a desired haven,” as our trials multiply." ~ Charles H. Spurgeon
- “Set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God." (Colossians 3:1) This is a direct command to set our hearts on Heaven. And to make sure we don't miss the importance of a heaven-centered life, the next verse says, "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." God commands us to set our hearts and minds on Heaven.” ~ Randy Alcorn, Heaven
- "We need to be homesick for heaven. Though we have never been there, we still have something God has built within us that gives us a certain homesickness, a desire to be there." ~ Greg Laurie, Every Day With Jesus: Forty Years of Favorite Devotions
- "Heaven will be the perfection we've always longed for. All the things that made Earth unlovely and tragic will be absent in heaven." ~ Billy Graham.
We are Made for Heaven, and Heaven is Prepared for Us
- "Your place in heaven will seem to be made for you and you alone because you were made for it -- made for it stitch by stitch as a glove is made for a hand." C. S. Lewis
- "A holy and useful life does not purchase heaven for a Christian but prepares him for heaven. ~ John Thornton
- "Heaven...It is a prepared place for a prepared people." ~ David Jeremiah
- "But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city" (Hebrews.11:16).
We'll See Angels in Heaven
- "...and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus" (2 Thessalonians 1:7-8).
- "And He said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man" (John 1:51).
- "But you have come to Mount Zion and the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering..." (Hebrews 12:22).
- "And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying 'Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.' When the angels had left them and gone into heaven..."' (Luke 2:13-14).
Joy In Heaven
- "In Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Psalm 16:11).
- "Joy is the serious business of heaven." ~ C. S. Lewis
- "How sweet is rest after fatigue! How sweet will heaven be when our journey is ended." ~ George Whitefield
- "If your ability to enjoy God and his gifts are always expanding, your perception of heaven will always be fuller, deeper, and richer. You will never look upon the same reality twice without some new way in which to enjoy it. You will look at each day through some new lens, where you see more clearly, understand more fully, and feel more deeply the truest joy — ever-increasing, ever-full joy for all eternity." ~ Dave Radford
My Poem on the Joy of Heaven
I wrote this poem when a dear friend, a great saint of God, left this world to his eternal destination. I read it at his memorial service. I wrote it in his voice.
I am in the land
Where His glory dwells,
Where His presence and pleasures
O’ the fullness of joy
That transcends thoughts and words;
The inexplicable bliss of His love
No human imagination can touch.
In my earthly tent,
eternity was in my heart;
Now it is my reality.
I am vibrantly alive…
Christ and I await you
To share in this rapturous glory forever.
Hold fast until He comes,
Which is soon.
Spread the thrill of this hope
To the hopeless
To the brokenhearted,
To the lost and the forsaken,
And to your enemies,
whom He loves,
For the time is near.
He tarries yet for a while more,
For He loves and died for every one.
Be faithful to the end.
Your crowns await you
And one day we will lay them
At His feet together,
And we will worship our king.
We send our love -
And let me tell you,
His love is so amazing,
Really so amazing.
Our Citizenship in Heaven
- “The Bible says that as long as we are here on earth, we are strangers in a foreign land. There are enemies to be conquered before we return home. This world is not our home; our citizenship is in heaven.” ~ Billy Graham
- "Heaven is a permanent residence, a place where we unpack our bags and stay forever. What a glorious thought to wake up in Heaven and realize it is home!" ~ C.L. Allen
- “If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world trying to get to heaven; you are a citizen of heaven making your way through this world. ” ~ Vance Havner
- "Christians have a dual citizenship - on earth and in heaven - and our citizenship in heaven ought to make us better people here on earth." ~ Warren Wiersby
Old Songs and Hymns About Heaven
I'll Fly Away - Albert E. Brumley
Mansion on a Hilltop - Ira Stanphil
This World Is Not My Home - Albert E. Brumley
When the Roll is Called Up Yonder - James M. Black
The Sweet By and By - S. Fillmore Bennett and Joseph P. Webster.
Going Home - Bill and Gloria Gaither
What a Day - Phil Keaggy
When We All Get to Heaven - Eliza E. Hewitt and Emily D. Wilson
Bluegrass Minstrels - I'll Fly Away
Contemporary Songs on Heaven
All My Tears - Julie Miller (Selah does it best)
Heaven's Song - Phil Wickham
I Can Only Imagine - Bart Millard (MercyMe)
There Will Be a Day - Jeremy Camp
Majesty of Heaven - Chris Tomlin
Revelation Song - Kari Jobe
You Hold Me Now - Hillsong
All the Heavens - Thrid Day
New Jerusalem, New Heaven, New Earth
- "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband" (Revelation 21:2).
- “For behold, I create a new heaven and a new earth; And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind" (Isaiah 65:17).
- "God, as we saw in Isaiah, will create a new heaven and a new earth that’s so splendorous that nobody will ever remember the old one. All remembrance of the first one will vanish." ~ John MacArthur
What Heaven is Not
- "This place [heaven] is not an ethereal realm of disembodied spirits, because human beings are not suited for such a realm." ~ Randy Alcorn, Heaven.
- "Heaven is not a figment of imagination. It is not a feeling or an emotion. It is not the "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere."" ~ Dr. David Jeremiah
- "When there’s fulfillment, when there’s beauty, when we see God as He truly is, boredom becomes an impossibility." ~ Randy Alcorn, Heaven
"We are so taken up with what God wants us to be here, that we have forgotten heaven."
— Oswald Chambers
Glimpses of Heaven
- "When you see that sunset or that panoramic view of God's finest expressed in nature, and the beauty just takes your breath away, remember it is just a glimpse of the real thing that awaits you in heaven." ~ Greg Laurie
- "Because Jesus defeated death, we don’t have to fear or fight it. Because He took the pain and the penalty we deserve, we can look forward to life eternal with Him. The Bible gives us hints about what Heaven will be like, but there isn’t a ton of detail. Perhaps that’s why it’s so exciting to catch a glimpse of what awaits us from another person, even while we’re still here on earth." ~ Jim Daly
- "But Stephen was filled with the Holy Spirit. He looked toward heaven, where he saw our glorious God and Jesus standing at his right side. Then Stephen said, “I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right side of God!” (Acts 7:55).
Earth is only a pale version of heaven, not the other way around."
— Greg Laurie
Crowns In Heaven
- "There are no crown-wearers in heaven who were not cross-bearers here below." ~ Charles Spurgeon
- "There is a crown in heaven that nobody’s head can wear but mine, a harp that nobody’s hand can play but mine, and a mansion that no man may enter but myself alone. I believe the same of each of you, my brothers and sisters, who are in Christ Jesus." ~ Charles H. Spurgeon
- "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing" (2 Timothy 4:6-8).
- Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him" (James 1:12).
Treasures In Heaven
"The way you store up treasure in heaven is by investing in getting people there." ~ Rick Warren
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. ~ Matthew 6:20
"Many Christians dread the thought of leaving this world. Why? Because so many have stored up their treasures on earth, not in heaven. Each day brings us closer to death. If your treasures are on earth, that means each day brings you closer to losing your treasures." ~ Randy Alcorn, Heaven
"The kingdom of heaven is worth infinitely more than the cost of discipleship, and those who know where the treasure lies joyfully abandon everything else to secure." ~ D. A. Carson
End of Pain and Suffering
"The whole point of Heaven is to relieve us of the suffering, pain, death and tears brought into the world by the evil of humanity. That is why God says that in Heaven there will be no more sorrow, pain, death or crying." ~ David Brandt Berg
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; ~ 2 Corinthians 4:17
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. ~ Revelation 21:4
Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal."
— ~Thomas Moore
More Than We Can Imagine
The descriptions and information on heaven here are only a speck of insight on what the glories of heaven will truly be like. We will see God's throne, Christ the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah. We will see legions of angels, we'll see an Eden paradise restored. We can imagine away based on what we do read in the Scriptures, but there are glorious mysteries of heaven that will make us gasp, thrill, and worship. I don't pout about not being able to take a trip to the Bahama's or the rain forests in various places because I will see far and away more glorious things in heaven and it will be for eternity. Cool.
- Heaven: A Book Review
Heaven by Randy Alcorn is an amazing look at heaven from a biblical perspective. The most comprehnsive book on the subject of heaven to date.
© 2018 Lori Colbo
ROBERT COHN from NEW BERN on July 01, 2019:
Thank you Ms. Lori, looking forward to your reply.
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on June 30, 2019:
Hi Robert, thanks so much for reading and sharing your thoughts. I just wanted to let you know I will get back to you in the next day or so. Things are busy what with the holiday coming up and I want to give your questions some prayerful thought. God bless you.
ROBERT COHN from NEW BERN on June 30, 2019:
Lori, what are your thoughts on this... I believe when we die that we (our spirit) will be asleep until Yeshua returns. At which time He will bring us to the new Jerusalem which you mentioned above. John 11:11-14 "This He said, and after that He said to them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep." The disciples then said to Him, "Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will recover." Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that He was speaking of literal sleep." Or the little girl in Matthew 9:24. Or Daniel 12:2 "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt." There are many more Scriptures but these I like.
As you also mentioned above in Revelation 21:2 "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband."
From my studies I do not believe when we die we go to Heaven nor do I believe we will be in Heaven. I think man has made this up to help the living cope with their family and friends death. I believe once we are judged by Yeshua we will either be in the New Jerusalem or as Paul wrote in 2 Thessalonians 1:9 "These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,"
Anyway, I was wondering your thoughts?
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on May 07, 2018:
Jackie, heaven is the greatest reward for the Christian. We must spread the good news.
Marlene, that's one of the greatest songs about heaven ever. God bless you sister.
Marlene Bertrand from USA on May 07, 2018:
This is a beautiful article about what it might be like in heaven. It reminds me of that song, "I Can Only Imagine." We sang "I'll Fly Away" for the first time in our little church a couple of Sundays ago. I love that song. Many blessings to you Lori.
Jackie Lynnley from the beautiful south on May 04, 2018:
Lori, God has told us it is better than we can ever imagine and I take His word for that and certainly look forward to that day. The older we get the easier it is to trade this world for the perfect one even if it takes death to get there. Who knows, maybe a few lucky ones of us at the end will not even know that but in the twinkling of an eye, pass right over!
Thanks for one of my favorite subjects, loved your quotes and poetry!
William Kovacic from Pleasant Gap, PA on May 02, 2018:
Well, Lori, I think you covered all of the bases on this one (at least most, if not all), Excellent job with much encouragement. I'm doing a series on Bible prophecy at my church. we just finished the rapture - bring it on!
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on May 01, 2018:
All great quotes, Lori, on a very important topic. The question in the Moody quote stays with me.
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on May 01, 2018:
Eric, I'm glad you're having a good time. I always admire your free spirit and lavish love for life and family. I believe you are preparing for heaven with that zeal for God, family, and life itself. The Father has a mansion prepared for our arrival some day. It will be bliss for all eternity.
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on April 30, 2018:
Thanks Manatita. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I don't just think about heaven, I yearn for it. Until my time comes to fly there I'll try to tell others as often as I can the hope of heaven through Christ.
manatita44 from london on April 30, 2018:
An inspirational piece, Lori.
I'm so glad that you are thinking of Heaven! A beautiful piece!
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on April 30, 2018:
God bless you Eric
Eric Dierker from Spring Valley, CA. U.S.A. on April 30, 2018:
This is refreshing. I am having such a blast right here that I don't think about heaven much."Now I lay me down to sleep, if I die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to keep" is about the extent of it. I also do not cry at funerals.I basically celebrate.Which I keep to myself as others do not get it.
Thank you for this as it reminds me to keep my eye on the prize.
Lori Colbo (author) from United States on April 29, 2018:
TSAD,, I'm so happy it blessed you.
The Logician from then to now on on April 29, 2018:
The most uplifting and hopeful Hub Page I have ever encountered.