Shawindi is a student who prefers writing and reading and also likes to learn about the different cultures of countries. And she loves music
Letter writing is one of the most important topics which we need to focus on when we learn a language. And writing a letter of apology is one of the letter styles we must learn. This is one of a kind that most of the people try to avoid. But a letter of apology is an important thing that people should think of. However here I explain writing a letter of apology in a nutshell. Hope this will be helpful.
Types of Apology Letters.
Letter writing is a way of communication with another person. However with the modern day technology, letter writing have became quiet unpopular. But still it is important for everyone to have a good knowledge at writing letters. Letter differ depending on your relationship with the person you are writing to, the purpose of your letter and its content. There are two types of letters and it can be described as,
1. Informal (causal / friendly) letters.
2. Formal (business) letters.
Informal letters are generally letters that are written to family members, friends or acquaintances. Here the used language and the structure of the letter can be changed, but the general meaning cannot be changed.
It consists of six simple parts.
- Sender's address
- Salutation / Greeting
Points to remember
- Use the correct format of the personal letter.
- There should be at least three paragraphs. Introduction, Purpose and Conclusion.
- Use suitable language according to the person who you write.
- The content of the letter should be clear.
Format of an Informal Letter
Formal letters are mainly written to make request, get permission, inquire for information, to make complaints or to express thanks or apology. Generally formal letters are written to unknown or authorized person, so the language needs to be polite.
There are five point that has to be taken care of while writing an official letter.
- Heading ( addresses of the sender and receiver and date )
- The salutation ( courteous greeting )
- Th body
- Complementary close ( courteous leave taking or conclusion )
- The signature (name of a writer / Designation )
Types of formal letters.
- Letter of apology
- Letter of inquiry
- Letter of complaint
- Letter of request
- Thank you letter ( letter of appreciation )
- Covering letters (letter of application )
Format of a Formal Letter.
Phrases To Use.
We write letters of apology to express inability to accept an invitation or request, to notify changes at short notice for request made, or ask pardon from a person for something we have said or done.
We can use the following phrases to express apology.
- We regret very much ...............................
- We are very sorry that / for ..................................
- We apologize for ..............................
- Please accept our sincere apologies for ............................
- We offer our apologies for ............................
For an Example.
Girl's High School,
32. 01. 2018
Inter-House Drama Competition.
This is with reference to my letter dated 17. 01. 2018 on the above subject.
We regret very much that due to unavoidable circumstances we had to change the venue and the date of the competition. The competition would now be held at the Trinity College Hall on 30th September at 3.00 p.m.
We hope the new date will suit you. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
- You had invited the head prefect of your sister / brother school for your Prefect's day. The event had to be cancelled at short notice, and you were unable to inform her / him in time. Write a letter of apology for the inconvenience caused.
- The Games Captain of another school in your area invited your relay team to participate in their Annual Sports Meet. On the day of the Sport Meet 03 members of your team were down with chicken pox. Write a letter of apology to the Games Captain giving reasons why your team could not come.
In several occasions in our daily life we have to write letters instead of messaging, e-mailing and calling. So it is in need to learn how to write letters. Hope this will be helpful. If there is something I need to add or if there is any mistakes please let me know. I'm willing to know what you think.
God bless !
Stay Safe !
Shawindi Silva (author) from Sri lanka on April 29, 2019:
Thank you so much for your appreciation !!!!
FlourishAnyway from USA on April 29, 2019:
So many people skip the apologies so I’m glad you covered the topic!