PS has worked as a freelance writer since 2012. When she's not traveling and writing, she helps people with web design and development.
Real Estate is an ever growing industry. Real Estate is not just about selling and buying housing properties or residential land, rather it is a much wider field that includes single to multi-family houses, townhouses, condominiums, commercial and industrial building, land and luxurious properties. Besides buying and selling, it is also about lending, leasing, architecture, and design. Since the field has diverse things to work upon, you, as a freelance real estate writer, has the immense possibility of growth in the real estate sector. You need to research and bring creativity to your writing to lure the customers to buy the property.
Where can you find work as a Freelance Real Estate Writer?
Real Estate writers can find the work at every place both offline and online. Here are few of these:
- Ebook publishing
- Magazine, both trade and consumer
- Newsprint column
- Television Ads
- Article writing through Publications and Freelancing Sites
- LinkedIn (some people are biased about this site, but if you do serious research and build a creative and an attractive portfolio on LinkedIn, then you have lots of opportunities to get your dream job)
What type of work you need to do?
As I already mentioned, the field is very wide and cover different aspects of housing and commercial properties. Considering the most important ones, here are common topics and categories that you may require to work upon:
- Tax-related articles
- Room decoration
- Eviction notices
- Housing trends
- Homes with an interesting history
- Legal documents
- Architectural trends
- How to switch from renting to owning the home
- Lease/Renewal terms
- Guide to homeownership
- Other forms of Communication
- Green homes
- Market trends
- Blog posts
- Social Media Posts
- Press releases
- Creative and Persuasive Web copy
What affects Real Estate trends?
Real Estate is a rapidly changing industry, what trends today, may fall drastically tomorrow. Forecasting the fertile topics depend on the following factors:
- Market Analysis
- Economical condition
- Tax incentives
- New and revised laws
- Ease of lending
and many others
What Skills are required to become a Freelance Real Estate Writer?
Real estate is rather a competitive field. Being a well-versed writer is not enough to break into this field. You need to have the following qualities as well:
- Stay informed with latest topics relevant to a specific location
- Follow interest rates
- Be aware of new and revised laws
- Know the local market
- Build connections with professionals such as escrow officers, lenders, agents, brokers, and attorneys
- Understand your audience
- Study real estate, architecture, design, home, garden and women’s magazines
- Write a blog to showcase your skills in real estate
- Use expert quotes and catchy headlines to establish your credibility
- Use marketing strategies to promote your work on all platforms, social media, search engine, newspapers and magazines
- Have excellent research skills to find the best ways to profit your clients’ business growth
Real Estate Social Network Sites
These are few sites that are specially built for real estate agents and can work wonders for your writing job as well. You can build connections and get information about the latest trends in the real estate sectors:
How to get started with Real Estate Writing?
Now, you know what skills will make you the right choice for the clients as a freelance real estate writer. You know knowledge is not enough, you must know how to apply it. So, the question is, how to build your resume or CV as a beginner? Sounds tiring, but it’s not that tough, at last somewhere every expert was a beginner. Here are a few tips to help you get started in this career:
- Contact local publications: Find out if your regional newspaper has a real estate writer. Write a query to publish your article in a column or as a featured one. Make sure to include links to your original work, it can be your blog or online website where you posted as a guest editor. Local magazines are always on a hunt to find someone who can help them with lucrative articles to survive on the customers’ tables for a longer time.
- Contact City or State Magazine: You can pitch your story to these magazines related to historical homes or local tour depicting the architecture of a house or its peculiar history. Don’t make it a travel guide, create it using a concept of real estate. Instead of elaborating on its beauty, write more about its features and benefits in a lucrative manner.
- Start On Freelancing Sites: Many real estate agents post online writing jobs to look for someone who can write for their blog or newspaper ads. Upwork and Freelancer are the best sites to find such jobs.
- Contact real estate agents: Finding the real estate agents is not that tough. You can easily find someone reliable through real estate websites such as truly, realtor or through newspaper publications.
Best Real Estate Magazines and Publications that you Need to look at
Magazines and Publications don’t only provide with your content related to your niche. It also gives you the idea to create persuasive web copies, newsletters, and blog posts. Also, you can gain insights into how to craft a legal document. Here are few of the best magazines and publications that you must read to become a better freelance real estate writer:
- Inman News
- Adirondack Life
- Coastal Living
- Phoenix Home and Garden
- Mountain Living
- Realtor Magazine
- Mother Earth Living
- Portland Spaces
- Realty Times
- Better Homes and Gardens
- Chesapeake Home + Living
- Southern Living
Working as a real estate writer has huge potential. Many of your colleagues and friends may not agree with it because it is not that famous niche like fiction, journalism, novel or children stories. If you work as a copywriter, then the real estate can be a great addition to your skills helping you increase your overall income. Just like any other field writers, real estate writers are also paid well. Since, real estate trends change drastically, be open to the latest trends and marketing strategies as well as research well.
© 2019 PS Tavishi
Patricia Ann Trinanes on March 02, 2020:
The article is helpful. I have additional information that will support the topic. Check this