Timothy is a Christian who enjoys creating visual art and writing. He has a B.S. in Psychology.
What is Flash Fiction
What is Flash Fiction?
Flash Fiction is a creative writing style of brief stories. A flash fiction story can be as short as five words but according to the general consents no longer than 2000 words.
Each flash fiction story must tell a whole story with a beginning, middle and end. Some writers feel flash fiction is one of the hardest forms of writing due to the fact you have to write a whole story using only a few words.
Here are 30 flash fiction prompts to get you started:
- 10 First sentence prompts
- 10 Last sentence prompts
- 10 Story idea prompts
Good luck and happy writing.
First Line Story Starters
- “I told you to not fall in love with me.”
- ”Who told you to pull the trigger? Not me! Now look what you‘ve done.”
- ”Prove to me that you’re a ghost.”
- “The next drink is on me.” Just as he lifted his beer to drink it a bullet shattered his glass.
- ”I don’t know where I came from. I just know one day I was.“
- I watched the knife goes through. He should’ve died but he just started laughing. “You can’t kill me”
- ”You can’t die. Please don’t die.”
- “I can’t help it, you’re fun to mess with.”
- “Don’t worry I’m wearing a gas mask.”
- “So what are you? You’re definitely not human.”
Last Line Story Starters
- “So that is my story and I’m sticking to it.”
- ”See that is what happens when you pull the trigger before I tell you.”
- “He lifted his sword in the air. “Here‘s to our next adventure.”
- ”Is this where we walk off into the sunset.”
- ”You didn’t warn me it was going to end like that.”
- ”Don’t expect me to kiss you. This isn’t like in the movies.”
- ”So that’s it? It’s over? Somehow I thought it was going to be flashier.”
- “So what do we do now?
- ”It‘s done. Now what? I feel more should have happened. Maybe a medal for saving the world.”
- ”A bill! They have some nerve. We saved the world and we get a bill for what might or might not have been destroyed in the process. Where‘s the gratitud?”
- Write a story about an app which can be used to control the minds of those whose name is entered into the app.
- Write an ever classic story about a bumbling but effective detective.
- Write a fantasy story including an elf a druid and a rowboat. They go in search of lost magic. Classic story but write it with a twist,
- Write a story about a dog and a cat who must save the world.
- Write a love story that does not really have a happy ending.
- Rewrite the Three Little Pigs as a group of overpriced assassins.
- You wake up in the morning to find you dead (Fill in the blank) staring down at you.
- You get a bad cut in your arm but instead fo blood you find wires.
- You wake one day to find you’re the President. Now what do you do Because you have no idea how to run a country.
- You get a book out of the library. Inside the book is a note that says Help Me! The note also has an addres. What do you do?
Places to Find Flash Fiction Story Ideas and Prompts
Story Shack - is a website that has a number of prompt generators (tool that randomly gives you a story prompt, name prompt and more). One of the generators they offer is for flash fiction. They also have some sample of flash fiction stories.
Pinterest - is a well known website where you can find information of all kinds from how to write flash fiction to all manner of writing prompts from first line prompts to story ideas.
Besides these two sites there are a lot of other places to get Flash Fiction prompts. One of the easiest is to just Google flash fiction story starter. You will come up with a number of useful websites with flash fiction story starters for your creative writing projects.
© 2020 Timothy Whitt
John Hansen from Queensland Australia on August 16, 2020:
Thanks for sharing some interesting prompts.