Confucius Quotes and Sayings
The great sage Confucius real name is Kongzi (his family name is Kong, and "zi" was added as a title of distinction). He lived from 551BC - 479BC in Qufu, a town in modern day Shandong Province of Northern China (about 6 hours drive south of Beijing). He was a consort to ancient Emperors and the impact of his philosophies still served to enlighten people for generations after his passing. The philosophies of Confucius were later compiled in a book called “The Analects”. Confucius Quotes and Sayings are included in "The Analects." During these thousands of years, the Kong family remained powerful in China, and the Kong estate was much like the Vatican in Rome. This was true until the time the Kong family had to flee to Taiwan in 1949 when the Red Army took victory over the Nationalists during the Revolution. The home of Confucius was later razed and all statues defaced or stolen during the Cultural Revolution. After years of smearing his name and image, now it is allowed to openly acknowledge his teachings China. Here are the teachings of Confucius which have been simplified.
Simplified Confucius Quotes and Sayings
If there be righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character.
If there be beauty in the character, there will be harmony in the home.
If there be harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation.
If there be order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.
- Respect yourself and others will respect you.
- Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it.
- To be fond of learning is near to wisdom.
- Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.
- If one acts with a view to profit, there will be much resentment.
- Our greatest glory is not in never to fall but in rising every time we fall. This is my personal favourite among the list of Confucius Quotes and Sayings.
- Unruly when young, unmentioned as a man, undying when old, spells good-for-nothing!
- Without truth I know not how man can live. A cart without a wheels, a carriage without a harness, how could they be moved?
- To learn and practise what is learned from time to time is pleasure, is it not? To have friends from afar is happiness, is it not? To be unperturbed when not appreciated by others is a gentleman, is it not?
- The way to do is to be.
- Silence is the true friend that never betrays.
- What is the sound of one hand clapping?
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
- Good is no hermit. It has neighbours.
- Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
- What you do not wish upon yourself, extend not to others.
- The gentleman is calm and peaceful; the small man is always emotional.
- Learn without thinking begets ignorance. Think without learning is dangerous.
- Without feelings of respect, what is there to distinguish men from beasts?
- Neglect of what is good in me; want of thoroughness in study; failure to do the right when told; lack of strength to overcome faults, these are my sorrows.
- Do not wish for quick results, nor look for small advantages. If you seek quick results, you will not attain the ultimate goal. If you are led astray by small advantages, you will never accomplish great things.
- It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop.
Thank you for reading these Confucius Quotes and Sayings. If you have more to add, please list them in the comment box below.
- Ancient Chinese Proverbs
There is so much wisdom in Chinese Proverbs. Some of these Proverbs have been around for more than a thousand years.
- 36 Ancient Chinese Quotes
The Chinese Culture is one of the oldest and most complex in the world. Record keeping of the Chinese Culture began during the Zhou Dynasty which dated back more than 3,000 years ago.
Life is like the ocean. Sometimes rough and sometimes calm. Read quotes by Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela and Michael Jordan.
jasonycc (author) from South East Asia on June 03, 2013:
Don, indeed they are. Here is another Confucius quote - "A fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart."
DON BALDERAS on October 18, 2012:
Guideposts for life, they are. They must be lived. We must love living them.
jasonycc (author) from South East Asia on July 21, 2011:
Zen is a school of Buddhism. The emergence of Zen as a distinct school of Buddhism was first documented in China in the 7th century CE. Maybe that explains it.
Joffre Meyer from Tyler, TX on July 20, 2011:
Good article, but isn't the sound of one hand clapping, Zen?
jasonycc (author) from South East Asia on February 10, 2011:
Yeah Micky.. Confucius teachings stood the test of time to become priceless pearls of wisdom!
Micky Dee on December 13, 2010:
Awesomely beautiful! Thank you Jasonyncc! These are beautiful pearls!
jasonycc (author) from South East Asia on July 23, 2010:
Hi cheryl, totally agree with you. These quotes can never be over read! Reading them is like exercising our mind. The more frequent we do it, the healthier we get... mentally.
_cheryl_ from California on July 19, 2010:
I love these! I'm a huge fan of quotes and sayings. They can never be over read. Quotes of true wisdom such as these are always great reminders and positive motivators that should be read every single day. =)
jasonycc (author) from South East Asia on July 08, 2010:
Thank for reading and feedback, pcdriver.
Petra, it's my pleasure. There is so much to learn in a lifetime. And we will never stop learning until we meet our Creator.
Petra Vlah from Los Angeles on July 06, 2010:
The more we learn the more we realize how little we know. Just love the collection you put together and will read the roverbs in a minute. Thank you again for such words of wisdom
pcdriverupdate from VA on July 05, 2010:
love the quotes. :)