Rajinder is a writer and editor turned digital writer's coach bringing with him 20 years of editorial expertise.
Content serves as the blood and soul for a writer. You may entice people by creating the world's most attractive website, but if your content sucks, nobody is going to give it enough time to read. Publishing useless content on your attractive website and promoting on the social media channels to bring the audience to read it is just like inviting people to your beautiful house and serving rotten food. If your content is not valuable they will never come back to your website. Internet is a large ocean and there are billions of websites and trillions of articles that have already been written. First, you need to ask yourself that how you will claim your corner in this vast ocean. There are a number of writers and bloggers and as you are one of them you need to learn some powerful skills that will not only save you from drowning in this ocean but will also help you gain applauds from your audience by showcasing your surfing ability on the high tides.
Now the question is, “What skills you need to develop that can help you glue your readers to your writing?
Here are five essential skills that you can develop to become a successful digital writer.
1. Research and planning: As soon as you get the idea to write an article, you should start researching that subject. In order to deliver to-the-point and valuable information to your audience, you must either consume a lot of content or you must have the expertise and knowledge about the subject. When people are in trouble they go to a specialist instead of a generalist so this thought should hit hard on your mind as soon as the writing bug starts biting you. As soon as you turn on your laptop, start researching as it is important. Also without enough planning, your article can quickly become stale considering the long-term readership.
2. Creativity: When we talk about blogging or online writing, it is all about entertaining the audience utilizing your content. No one wants to read boring stuff. You need to be creative enough to express your ideas. Through your creativity, you can convert an ordinary story into an extraordinary one. To enhance your creativity, you need to use the five senses properly, i.e., seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching. These senses unearth the world around you, and when you convert those observations into words, you create a different platform for yourself. Creative writing helps you to develop your cognitive growth as well. Try to observe everything around you based on your subject and then relate it to your writing. In this way, you can write the same thing differently. Unique content is always in demand.
3. Become a voracious reader: Read whatever comes in front of your eyes. When you read different kinds of stuff from various sources, you add more information to your knowledge hub. It expands your imagination and broadens your thought process, for example, reading a newspaper helps you to gain an understanding of different word choices the journalists are using, text layouts, different author voices and tones and different camera angles they use while utilizing photographs to communicate with us. It helps in understanding different viewpoints, which naturally help you to write things from your reader's perspective. Writing for a purpose that thousands of eyes will read needs a proper understanding of the subject. Reading helps you to understand and analyze the topic efficiently and also helps in knowing your audience. You can quickly write things that you want to say if you have an advanced/versatile vocabulary, and this can only be feasible through vivid reading skills.
4. Write continuously: Consistency in writing will help you to hone your writing skills. You will get more command on word usage, grammar and spelling. You can make your language skills stronger by writing more. In this process, you will also learn about SEO friendly content, trending topics on Google, among others. This will help your article to go against gravity and flaunt on the first page. Catchy headlines are the bait to lure the audience toward your articles, and you will learn all these techniques through persistent writing.
One-Hour Grammar Session for Writers to Improve English Writing Skills
5. Use your scissors efficiently: A writer always filters out the essential things from the mountain of information and presents the readers what is substantial for them. This helps the writer in selective thinking. Editing and proofreading are more important after writing. Editing requires experience, training and an eagle eye for detail. In addition to grammar, spelling and punctuation, look out for repetitive phrases or words and overused statements. The ability to proofread is highly essential. One wrong spelling or typo may switch your readers to another page within a fraction of a second. So be aware of your scissors and use them proficiently.
6. It should be poignant: Your writing should be credible and accurate to gain the trust and respect of your readers. You won't just slap words on a page. You must write in a way that it can be termed as a ‘masterpiece’. Ask questions in between to engage the readers. If you are writing to motivate or inspire your readers, use powerful positive affirmations to connect them with you on a personal level. In this way, you will also build a bridge of trust with them. A writer can change the mind of the reader. So press your pen in such a way that the masterpiece will not allow the readers to go away until they finish reading the last word. No matter what you write if you fail to touch the strings of emotions in the audience then you will land nowhere being an influential writer. As a writer, it is your duty to show the right direction to your audience. It is also your responsibility to comfort the unfamiliar eyes and caressing the unstable nerves into balance by providing an appropriate solution to their problems. Then only emotions can be converted into actions. For instance, if you are writing an article for an insurance company for selling their products, you need to first connect the readers with emotions by putting a catchy headline, such as, “Who Will Take Care of Your Family in Your Absence?" These questions will generate emotions in the reader's mind and provoke the reader to think about learning or buying an insurance cover. But if you will start directly with the product introduction, nobody will be bothered to read that. So, you have to exercise your brain to think out of the box to grab the reader's attention, and also convert them into your loyal visitor.
You are communicating with your audience through your words. If you can build these powerful skills within your write-up, then your article can intrepidly face the readers and provide them with the appropriate answer for their search. These skills will help you construct new strategies and actionable content. With lots of practice, patience and guidance, you can also efficiently nurture these skills. If you will develop these skills and apply them then you can become a successful digital writer.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Rajinder Soni
Nidhi Gautam from Mumbai on September 28, 2020:
Hello nice article.
Amit Shukla on September 16, 2020:
Sir, you have Explained so easily about this informative topic with minute detail
Amit Masih from Jaipur, India on September 11, 2020:
This is again an informative article that I feel blessed to read. Thank you, man!
Riffat Junaid from Pakistan on August 09, 2020:
Very informative article especially for new writers.
Lee A Barton from New Mexico on August 09, 2020:
I like your emphasis on story telling and creativity.
Urooj Khan from Karachi, Pakistan on August 09, 2020:
It was worth reading it. Very helpful for the newbie writers.
Rajinder Soni (author) from New Delhi, India on August 09, 2020:
Thank you Peggy.
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on August 08, 2020:
Your tips are all good ones. Reading, writing, research, creativity, and editing are all vital tools in which to become proficient.
Rajinder Soni (author) from New Delhi, India on August 08, 2020:
Yes it will definitely help you out Navin.
Navin Srivastava from Serampore on August 08, 2020:
Great content, will surely help a beginner like me !!