Who doesn't love a good vocabulary lesson? Especially words that are fun to say because they sound like obscenities. Here is a list of 44 words or phrases, that my husband compiled over a few months of unemployment, and complete and utter lack of anything better to do with his time, seemingly, that sound dirty, but are completely innocent!
- Coccyx - Technical name for the tailbone
- Angina - Chest pain caused by poor blood circulation
- Rectory - The home of a priest
- Depository - A place where things of value deposited for safekeeping
- Septum - A thin membrane that separates two cavities of the body
- Penal Code - A legal document containing laws and regulations of a certain subject
- Erector Set - A brand of construction toy popular in America
- Virginia - A state on the eastern coast of the United States of America
- Masticate - To grind or crush something
- Master Debater - One who can defeat others in debate
- Analgesic - A medication that reduces pain
- Cunning Linguist - A creative speaker
- Homo Erectus - An extinct human-like species of mammals
- Breast Stroke - A swimming style
- Anal Retentive - A term used to describe a control freak
- Venus - The second planet from the sun in the Milky Way galaxy
- Cockpit - The control deck of a flying vehicle
- Shuttlecock - A projectile used in the game of badminton
- Tight End - An offense position in American football
- Djibouti - A country in Africa
- Blue Footed Booby - A kind of bird known for its blue feet
- Woodpecker - A kind of bird, guess what it does?
- Asinine - Completely foolish
- Conch - The shell of a sea snail
- Uvula - The little hangy ball in the back of your throat
- Lake Titicaca - A large body of water located between Bolivia and Peru
- Tentacles - The appendages of an octopus or squid
- Dictator - A supreme ruler
- Peacock - A kind of bird, known for large, colorful rear plumage
- Organism(s) - A living thing
- Spelunking - Cave exploring
- Penal Colony - A settlement of exiled peoples
- Cockamamie - Ridiculous
- Cockapoo - A breed of dog
- Rectified - Clarified or set right
- Butler - A servant
- Rebuttal - A statement or evidence given, to contradict a previously implied notion
- Poop Deck - The deck of a ship that forms the roof of the cabin
- Pro Bono - Free, derived from Latin, meaning “for the public good”
- Ramifications – Results or consequences
- Subpoena – A legal document, summoning witnesses to court
- Titillated - stimulated by touch, or tickled, or excited
- Diction - The use of words in speech or writing
- Tittle - The dot on top of the lowercase letters i and j
- T. M. Apsey
T. M. Apsey's author page. The best place to find all the latest published articles and blog posts by T. M. Apsey on HubPages and The Skeptic Religion Scholar.
- The Skeptic Religion Scholar
Janik D from Dresden, Germany on December 01, 2013:
Very good and entertaining. Lists do not only work on BuzzFeed as we can see...
Jason on December 01, 2013:
So there is Venus but no Uranus...
jm12012 on June 15, 2013:
HOREHOUND - A flavoring used in hard candy.
THESPIAN - An actor. (Even ones who are straight.)
FUGUE - A form of classical music. (Bach was good at them.)
EROSION - Wearing away at something.
SAPSUCKER - A type of woodpecker. (Ha-ha-ha-HAAA-ha!!)
Suzie from Carson City on August 23, 2012:
Very good! I really got a kick out of this.....Your hubby definitely had some idle time on his hands! His efforts made for an interesting and FUNNY hub!! UP++
Shasta Matova from USA on March 11, 2012:
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I've included this hub in my list of favorite hubs I've read this week ending March 11.
cleaner3 from Pueblo, Colorado on March 02, 2012:
WOW, i am sure that everyone can find one to relate to.( shame on me)don't ask which one I liked, instead read some of my poetry and then try to guess.
CountryCityWoman from From New York City to North Carolina on February 22, 2012:
This is wonderful - so creative. Thanks a million and rated up and awesome. Oh yay!
megni on February 14, 2012:
Who would've thought to write such an interesting Hub! You sound hilarious and unafraid. Thanks
TMApsey (author) from Wisconsin, USA on February 13, 2012:
There is definitely more on the way!
Specialist5 from Norwich, CT USA on February 13, 2012:
Awesome. Kudos to the "mister." Is that dirty? Ha, ha. I lived in WI for a year and a half and never met anyone this smart. Great "piece." How about mufti? I know what it means. Thumbs up and funny, funny, funny. These would be real good for scrable. How about a new board game? Are there more "coming."
Escobana from Valencia on October 21, 2011:
While reading your Hub, I decided I will be using one specific term from now on, to explain about the wonders of living you life as a control freak.
Anal Retentive! Hilarious! The anal part makes is as dirty as can be! Loved your Hub, voted up, awesome, and funny:-)
uncorrectedvision from Indiana on August 27, 2011:
You forgot the Grande Tetons and Volvo. Although Lake Titicaca is one of my favorites, particularly because it is a conjunction of two dirty words making it especially problematic.
Nell Rose from England on August 27, 2011:
Hi, loved this! ha ha some many that I had either not heard of or forgotten, thanks for the laugh!
David Sproull from Toronto on August 16, 2011:
Ha Ha! I am ashamed to admit I enjoyed that. Thank you for disseminating it and creating such interesting intercourse!
Jaymye Allen from Sherman, Texas on August 15, 2011:
A word to the wise: when the Hub amuses you so much you must share by reading out loud, MAKE SURE YOU ENUNCIATE PROPERLY! ROTFLOL! My husband and I got quite a laugh when I was reading so quickly some of the words turned into "dirty" words! Voted up and funny. Thanks!
marellen on August 15, 2011:
Thanks for the smile......Some of those are great.
FloraBreenRobison on August 15, 2011:
These are great! I needed a good laugh.
Carrie Smith from Dallas, Texas on August 15, 2011:
This is a very entertaining post, and I learned something new.
Voted up and funny!
Steve Lensman from Manchester, England on August 15, 2011:
Hoho very nice.
You missed a couple -
Shih Tzu - a breed of dog.
Bangkok - Capital of Thailand.
Up and fanny. :)
UltimateMovieRankings from Virginia on August 15, 2011:
Very interesting, funny and informative hub.....your husband did not waste time if one person can learn something from his research....you can count me as at least one person that learned something..voted up and funny.
TMApsey (author) from Wisconsin, USA on August 14, 2011:
Thanks! It's good to know my husband's boredom has not gone to waste!
Truckstop Sally on August 14, 2011:
Very funny!! Never knew what a tittle was. I have a mission tomorrow - try to spead the word about this funny hub to all of my friends.