Sometimes you go through a point in your life when you feel like you're stalled in traffic. The goals you want to achieve seem so far off, but the solution can often be just a change in mindset.
What's been helpful to me is quotes. They are philosophy in bite sized pieces that can help change your mindset for the better if you internalize them.
This list is a small percentage of the ones read and been inspired by, and all of them were included at various points in the Evolve Academy newsletter. That's how I was exposed to them, and now I'm going to share a few that are especially excellent.
- Dave Pelzer: In life you are going to make mistakes, you're going to fall down, but it's the getting up that counts. Just like in baseball: you'll get a few hits, but most likely, you'll strike out more than you'll get on base. But don't quit. Find your focus, relax, take a deep breath and give it a good swing
- Abraham Lincoln: You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.
- Harry Truman: A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.
- David Bly: Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted.
- George Foreman: Don’t have that conversation with yourself where you say, ‘He’s got more talent than I do,’ or ‘She’s faster than I am.’ Success depends on what’s in your mind. I can tell you that being a boxing champion means more than physically waking up one morning and discovering a muscle or two. It happens from the tip of your toes all the way up to the crown of your head. Success is about your spirit….
- Anonymous: Adversity weakens the weak and strengthens the strong.
- Horatio: Adversity reveals genius, prosperity conceals it.
- Jack Dempsey: A champion is one who gets up when he can't.
- Edwin Percy Whipple: The universal line of distinction between the strong and the weak is that one persists; the other hesitates, falters, trifles, and at last collapses or 'caves in'.
- Winston Churchill: Success is going from failure to failure without lost of enthusiasm.
- Robert Jarvik: Leaders are visionaries with a poorly developed sense of fear and no concept of the odds against them. They make the impossible happen.
- Wernher von Braun: I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
- Malcolm Forbes: Success follows doing what you want to do. There is no other way to be successful.
- Scott Hamilton: Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.
- John Mellencamp: What is there to be afraid of? The worst thing that can happen is you fail. So what? I failed at a lot of things. My first record was horrible.
- George S. Patton: I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs, but by how high he bounces when he hits the bottom.
- Hellen Keller: Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
- Newt Gingrich: Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.
- Ralek Gracie: No matter how good your teacher is, they can only take you halfway. In order to make it to the top, you must take responsibility for your own progress.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
- Thomas Jefferson: When you reach the end of your rope, Tie a knot in it and hang on!
- Anthony Robbins: It's not what's happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny.
- Alan Cohen: It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
- Seneca: It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, It is because we do not dare that things are difficult.
- Thomas Jefferson: Nothing can STOP the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can HELP the man with the wrong mental attitude.
Unifying Themes Within the Quotes
Persevere Through Adversity to Achieve Success
As you read these quotes, you'll notice that there are similarities in quite few of them. They are universal ideas expressed in unique ways.
One of those ideas is that your path may not always be filled with roses. In fact, it is almost certain that you will run into difficulties, but you will only truly fail when you give up.
Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard
Another common theme is that hard work will be required of you if you wish to achieve anything truly great. No one else is going to carry you over the finish line.
You Might Also Like
- The Importance of Daily Rituals and How to Apply Them to BJJ
- Universal Concepts from the Book of Five Rings That Can Benefit You
- The Mystical Secret to Mastering Anything
Oh Yeah, I Forgot
If you really enjoyed the quotes and they were helpful to you, I am compiling a fuller list at my blog. It will be updated over time, and right now I believe that there are close to a hundred awesome quotes.
Check it out:
Also feel free to share your thoughts on any quote. I know that you all have incredible opinions, and I can't wait to learn from you.
BeatsMe on October 30, 2014:
Nice compilation of quotes. I agree, they can be helpful. :)
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on October 21, 2012:
Oh, I've been updating the version on my blog for some time now, and at some point I lost count of how many incredible quotes are listed there. It must be over a hundred though.
I'll share one of the ones that I really liked in the new additions. It's by Richard Louis Stevenson:
Don’t judge each day by the Harvest that you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
Robin Grosswirth from New York on October 14, 2012:
This was a great bathing in "feel good" and the rebuilding of one's soul. Thanks!
Sommer Dalton on October 03, 2012:
What a great hub! I loved this, very well done! Voted up plus 4
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on September 02, 2012:
Thanks for commenting. I appreciate any and all feedback.
Kate McBride from Donegal Ireland on September 02, 2012:
This is a great hub.I posted it to facebook and voted it useful.Thanks for sharing it:-)
Olde Cashmere on August 30, 2012:
Thank you KBEvolve for this awesome set of inspiring quotes. Voting this up, and rating useful, awesome, and interesting.
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on June 17, 2012:
Some of these comments are great.
risingsun13 on April 10, 2012:
thanks great collection of quotes.
cgreen7090 from Tennessee on April 06, 2012:
I am quote addict. Loved this hub!
BERNARD LEVINE from RUIMSIG, SOUTH AFRICA on March 26, 2012:
SECRETS OF LIFE By BERNARD LEVINE
Look for the beauty
in everything you see.
Walk in peace
The secrets of success
what you make happen
going to the ends of the world
for a stranger.
Be useful with your life.
Whatever you are doing
put your whole
being into it 100%
pleasing your loved one everyday
in a 1000 different ways.
Control your mind
you are its master
Be in control.
Live your life
without hurting or
Believe in yourself.
Have respect for yourself.
Walk through life
always with a song.
© Bernard Levine
Philip Cooper from Olney on March 26, 2012:
Good job in researching all these quotes. Loved them. Voted up!
Syed Hunbbel Meer from Karachi, Pakistan. on March 25, 2012:
Beautiful hub. I guess, awesome will be the right word.
Great collection of quotes and inspirational videos. Thumbs up! :)
Cynthia Calhoun from Western NC on March 25, 2012:
KB - this hub is FABULOUS and INSPIRATIONAL! I think - IMHO - this is your BEST hub yet!! I love the formatting and videos and everything is laid out just wonderfully. You have an inspirational gem here. Your words here just give me more determination to keep on keeping on. Voted up and across.
Movie Master from United Kingdom on March 25, 2012:
A wonderful collection of inspirational quotes, my favourite is by David Bly, 'Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted'
Thank you, voting up and sharing.
Gail Sobotkin from South Carolina on March 23, 2012:
What an excellent collection of inspirational and motivational quotes. My favorite was the Tony Robbins quote: "It's your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you're going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny."
Whenever I'm faced with tough times I always remind myself that it's my response to the things that happen to me that will determine the final outcome.
Voted up across the board except for funny.
rutley from South Jersey on January 26, 2012:
Gonna bookmark this one! Voted up and thank you!
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on January 04, 2012:
Thanks for all the comments. All of these quotes had a significant and positive effect on my training through the years. So I am sure that others will be helped by them as well.
Mary Roark from Boise area, Idaho on January 01, 2012:
Wow. I refer to inspirational/motivational quotes on a daily basis. This is a great collection, and because it's the new year and they all apply to resolutions, I'm sharing this with others!
Elena from London, UK on January 01, 2012:
I have posted fan mail to follow you twice but it's not sticking. Will try again later in the week. I have been having probs with Chrome...affecting some of my postings on HP.
Elena from London, UK on January 01, 2012:
Beautiful and very Inspiring.
laurathegentleman from Chapel Hill, NC on December 12, 2011:
These are absolutely wonderful! I especially love the one from Abraham Lincoln - it especially applies to my life right now. I'll be sure to write it down and remember it, almost like a mantra! Thank you for such an inspiring hub!
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on December 06, 2011:
Jack Dempsey's quote is one of my favorites as well. It's simple yet undeniably true. Now if only I could figure out the Dempsey Roll too.
Thanks for the comment, Daisy. One of the things I really like about my gym is that they have this custom sharing quotes like these. It has really helped motivate me to push harder and train smarter.
I just wanted to give that same experience to a wider audience.
Daisy Mariposa from Orange County (Southern California) on December 05, 2011:
Your selection of quotes and the way in which you presented them is excellent. I have such a "good feeling" after having read your Hub. Thank you.
fitnesszone from New York on December 05, 2011:
Encouraging! My best among the lot:
"A champion is one who gets up when he can't."
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on December 04, 2011:
cclitgirl - Glad that helped. We can all use a little motivation sometimes.
Born2care2001 - Thank you, and you're definitely right about the fact that we must commit wholeheartedly to a course of action to achieve great things.
Rev Bruce S Noll HMN from Asheville NC on December 03, 2011:
Fabulously Done KBEvolve!
I have seen each one of these before and used many of them in my life coaching practice for young men, but you have done a spectacular job of presentation.
It (motivation) begins with a choice about ourselves and ends with an act of commitment to ourselves.
Thanks for being who you are!
Cynthia Calhoun from Western NC on December 03, 2011:
Thanks for sharing these. You wouldn't believe how I needed them just now. Rated up for everything. :)
Kenneth Brown (author) from United States on December 01, 2011:
I've never seen that quote before. It's quite interesting. It seems a little cryptic, but I want to figure it out now. Thanks.
dinkan53 from India on December 01, 2011:
Super work by putting the quotes together, quotes are my favorites. 'A runner must run with dreams in his heart and not money in his pocket'- Emil Zatopek. rated interesting.
Admiral_Joraxx from Philippines on November 24, 2011:
Excellent! Great work of gathering this thoughts here KBEvolve. These words are truly precious! 1 vote up, useful and beautiful. =)