Over the years I've heard some strange laws from around the world and usually took some of them with as an urban myth. Some of these so called "laws" are so extreme that you have to assume they are fake, or so old that they make little sense in the 21st century.
This afternoon whilst going to the shop for milk, I was lucky enough to witness a strange law (almost) in effect. I;m a resident of England, and we have out fair share of strange laws. This one in particular seems to be common knowledge, except to the police officer in question.
I overheard a pregnant woman asking a police officer for his helmet because she needed a pee.I laughed, a lot, especially when he flipped out and thought she was trying to make fun of him. The law in question states that "a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet"
This got me thinking of some of the other laws that are just plain strange! This is 101 of those laws, and if you know of any more (please don't make them up) leave them in the comments at the bottom.
- In London, it is illegal for a City cab to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
- In England, it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
- It England, it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the Queen upside down.
- Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, yet you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.
- Navy ships that enter London Port must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
- A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, even, even in a policeman’s helmet.
- In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the beach front to incite a dog to bark.
- All males over the age of 14 must carry out two hours a day of longbow practice.
- Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged the toll, they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.
- In the UK, a man who needs to relieve himself in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel of his own car and keeps his right hand on the vehicle.
- In York, it is legal to kill a Scotsman within the ancient city boundary, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
- In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.
- If a dead whale is found on the British coast, the head is legally the property of the King, and the tail belongs to the Queen - to use the bones for corsets.
- In England, in 1865, any self propelled carriage on a British highway had to have a crew of three men. One had to walk in front of the carriage with a red flag to warn horse drawn vehicles of it's approach.
- In London, city cabs by law must carry a bale of hay at all times.
- In Britain, in 1888, if your push bike was in motion, you legally had to constantly ring a bell.
- In Birmingham, after sundown it is against the law for a man and a woman to partake in sexual intercourse on church steps.
- In London, it is illegal to throw a stick for your dog, use an offensive powder like pepper on your jacket potato or use a camera tripod in any park.
- In London, domestic violence is legal as long as it's before 9pm and does not disturb your neighbours.
- In London, in the 19th Century, it was illegal to impersonate a Chelsea pensioner. The punishment was death.
- In England, in 1837, if a man kissed a woman against her will, she could legally bit off his nose.
- In Chester, the Welsh are banned before sun up and after sun set.
United States of America
United States of America
- In Alexandria, Minneapolis, it is illegal for a man to have sexual intercourse with a woman with sardines on his breath.
- In California, in 1986, Judge Samuel King became so annoyed with jurors who were absent from a case due to massive rain fall, that he issued a decree which stated "I hereby order that it cease raining by Tuesday." It stopped raining on Tuesday and California suffered a 5 year drought. 5 year latter in 1991, the very same judge then decreed "Rain shall fall in California beginning February 27th." On that same day, California suffered the heaviest rainfall in over ten years.
- In Arizona, hunting camels is against the law.
- In Indiana in the 50's, they made anything based on Robin Hood Illegal because they thought he was a communist.
- In Minnesota, hanging male and female under garments on the same washing line.
- North Carolina has made it illegal to swear in front of dead people.
- In Iowa, horses are breaking the law if they eat a fire hydrant.
- Judge J.H. Logan from California, made the Loganberry by crossing a cultivated raspberry with a wild blackberry.
- In South Bend, Indiana, a monkey was found guilty of smoking which was against the law at the time.
- In San Diego, public schools have banned hypnotism.
- In Florida having sexual intercourse with a porcupine is illegal.
- In Kingsville, Texas, it is illegal for pigs to have sexual intercourse on airport property.
- In Willowdale, Oregon, while engaging in sexual intercourse with a woman, it is illegal for a man to curse.
- In Hastings, Nebraska, hotels must legally provide you with nightclothes.
- In Ames, Iowa, men lying in bed with their wives must not have more than 3 swigs of beer.
- In Oblong, Illinois, on your wedding day it is illegal to make love whilst hunting or fishing.
- In Tremonton, Utah,a woman is not legally allowed to have sexual intercourse with a man in an ambulance.
- In Conorsville, Wisconsin, during sexual intercourse, it is against the law for a man to fire his gun whilst the woman in having an orgasm.
- In Chico, California, you'll receive a $500 fine for letting off a nuclear bomb in the city limits.
- In Massachusetts, your breaking the law if you consume more than 3 sandwiches at a wake.
- In Louisiana, using dentures to bite someone moves it up to aggravated assault.
- In Kentucky, carry ice cream cones in your pocket is illegal.
- In International Falls, Minnesota, you can be fined if you let your dog chase a cat up a telegraph pole.
- In Iowa, after 5 mins of kissing your breaking the law.
- In Illinois, giving a lighted cigar to a pet is illegal.
- In the USA 24 states say that if your husband is impotent its grounds for a divorce.
- In Miami, Florida, imitating animals is illegal.
- In Oxford, Ohio,a woman undressing in front of a picture of a man is breaking the law.
- In Baltimore, Maryland, taking a lion to the cinema is illegal. .
- In Washington, pretending to have wealthy parents is illegal.
- In Texas, if you are going to commit a crime, you legally have to give 24 hours notice to the police.
- In Oklahoma, you could face prison if you make faces at a dog
- In Maryland, Randy Newman's song 'Short people' is still banned on the radio.
- In St. Louis, Missouri, if a woman is in her night clothes, it is illegal for a fireman to rescue her.
- In Providence, Rhode Island, selling toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday is illegal.
- In Logan County, Colorado, kissing a woman while she sleeps is illegal.
- In Alexandria, Minnesota, having garlic or onions on your breath means you legally can't have sex with your wife.
- In Eureka, Nevada, if you have a moustach it's against the law for you to kiss a woman.
- In Vermont, for a woman to wear false teeth she first must get written permission from her husband.
- In Boulder, Colorado, your breaking the law if you own a pet.
- In Kentucky, your breaking the law if you carry a concealed weapon over 6ft in length.
- In Florida, on Sunday's, unmarried woman face jail if the go parachuting.
- In Miami, Florida, skateboarding is against the law inside a police station.
- In Ohio, getting a fish drunk is against state law.
- In Alabama, your breaking the law if you are in control of a motor vehicle if wearing a blindfold.
The Rest of the World
The Rest of the World
- In Victoria, Australia, you need a licensed electrician to change a light bulb.
- In Victoria Australia after mid day on Sunday, it's illegal to wear pink hot pants.
- In France, it's illegal to name a pig Napoleon.
- In Indonesia, the punishment for masturbation is death by decapitation.
- In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be sentenced to death by firing squad.
- In Bahrain, male doctors only legally examine a woman's genitals through a mirror.
- In Afghanistan the Taliban banned women from wearing white socks, for fear men might find them attractive.
- In Lebanon men are allowed to engage in sexual intercourse with female animals. If caught with a male animal the punishment is death.
- In 1837, Egypt banned male belly dancing as it caused mass rioting.
- During World War I if you were found to be homosexual you were executed.
- Hundreds of years ago you were instantly executed if you tried to leave Japan.
- In Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada, in 1917, tying a male horse next to a female horse was illegal.
- In Singapore chewing gum is illegal.
- In Paraguay you can legally duel, as long as both participating players are blood donors.
- In Milan, Italy, unless going to a hospital or funeral, you have to smile or face a fine.
- In Switzerland you legally have to live within 200m of a nuclear bomb shelter.
- In Burma it is against the law to access the Internet. Anyone doing so faces prison.
- In Bangladesh you face prison time for cheating at school.
- Until 1984 in Belgium, you had to choose your child's name off a list of 1500.
- In 1935 Romania, for fear of scaring young children, Mickey Mouse was banned.
- Due to lack of pants, Donald Duck cartoons were banned in Finland.
- The only country in the world to never. have censorship for adult films is Belgium.
- In 1979 Iraq banned karate movies. .
- It was once illegal to own a pet dog in Iceland.
- In 1471 Switzerland, the Cockerel was found guilty of "In defiance of natural law" by laying an egg. It was executed.
- In Stelvio, Italy, 1519, a gang of moles that had damaged crops was given an arrest warrant. They never showed up for court.
- In Seville, Spain, in 1983, a German Sheppard was arrested for stealing woman's handbags.
- In Turkey, it was illegal to drink coffee during the 16th and 17th century. It was punishable by death.
-2000 years ago in Rome, Julius Caesar banned chariots from Rome city centre to ease congestion.
- In Switzerland, it use to be illegal to slam a car door.
-In Denmark, you legally have to check under your car for children asleep before you start it.
-In Denmark it is not against the law to escape from prison.
-In Bermuda, private cars were illegal until 1948
-In the days of Sparta, if you were male you legally had to consume 2 pounds of meat a day.
I hope you laughed at these as much as I did, and remember, if you know of any more funny or strange laws, leave them in the comments below.
bob on August 09, 2020:
GalaxyRat on April 21, 2017:
Gilbert Arevalo from Hacienda Heights, California on February 21, 2017:
Very amusing laws around the world, I'm sure you had great fun collecting them all together.
Frances Metcalfe from The Limousin, France on January 01, 2017:
I knew some of the UK ones. Crazy!
andrea on November 29, 2014:
that italian thing never existed -_-
Ken Westmoreland from Taunton, Somerset on October 17, 2014:
South Africa is not the only country in the world where you have to pay for a licence to have a TV - the UK has always had one, as have many other European countries, as indeed does Japan.
What is stranger is that South Africa didn't have TV at all until 1976, and there was no advertising on TV until 1978. However, most revenue for the SABC (state broadcaster) comes from advertising on TV and radio. Australia got rid of the licence fee forty years ago and the ABC is funded directly by the government through taxes, although its TV and radio services are commercial free.
zia on September 18, 2014:
in philippines if you steal coins you face the prison cell. and if you still billions you face hospital arrest.
sage on August 14, 2014:
i didn't know the ones about victoria, and i live there!!!! not sure if they are true though cos i think ive seen people do both
Richard on April 07, 2014:
In Texas, its illegal to drink wine so you can sleep at night
Person on March 22, 2014:
It is Illegal to kill a sasquatch in British columbia, Canada
Romeos Quill from Lincolnshire, England on February 04, 2014:
How about these examples for strangeness in law-breaking.....
The first recorded ' animal ' trial was in 864 A.D., when the Diet of Worms decreed that a hive of bees which had stung a man to death should be suffocated.
Also, another weird animal case was that of the Italian caterpillars which were asked to appear in court in 1659 on charges of trespassing and wilful damage to property. A copy of the summons was nailed to a tree in each of the five districts where the damage had occurred.
The accused were asked to return to the woodlands and refrain from destroying the crops. The court, in fairness, conceded the caterpillars' right to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, provided that their behaviour did not ' destroy or impair the happiness of man '. ( I'm not pulling your leg either :).
Hein on October 17, 2013:
In South Africa you have to have a licence to buy a TV
Romeos Quill from Lincolnshire, England on August 03, 2013:
Luke on July 01, 2013:
Australia is the only country that it is legal to eat the animals on the Coat of Arms
and anyone can change a light bulb in a private residence but at schools, government buildings ect. a licenced electritian has to
Also No one with a criminal record can live in ACT (Austrailias Capitol Teratory)
Aleister888 on January 19, 2013:
This Hub was truly amazing, i had such a good time reading it, there truly are some crazy laws in this world haha!
CE on January 16, 2013:
In Blue Earth, Minnesota, it is illegal for children under 12 years of age to speak on the telephone unless accompanied by one of their parents?
jayceaden on May 31, 2012:
- We are located in Louisville, Kentucky, which is the 16th largest city in the US. We at Happy Feet take pride in providing the highest quality and most comfortable house slippers in the world.
nomadicmicmac on April 26, 2012:
In Boston Massachusetts it was illegal for native Americans to be in the city up till about ten years ago
Dian Rosita on April 26, 2012:
that is not true!! there is not such thing of punishment in INDONESIA.
you maybe mistaken.
I know about it well, because I'm indonesian
Bob on April 24, 2012:
It is illegal to fart in public on Sunday after 7:00 pm in Florida
Speechless on March 20, 2012:
Meanwhile in Singapore...
A gathering of five or more people is considered unlawful assembly punishable by imprisonment or fine, or both.
Force or violence used by an unlawful assembly (classified as rioting) is punishable by imprisonment, fine and caning.
Picketing is considered unlawful if it is intimidating, obstructive or if it lead to a breach of the peace.
Public speeches or demonstrations are only allowed at a designated place known as The Speaker's Corner, which requires a police permit beforehand.
Authorities have the power to prevent an individual from leaving home or a building if it is deemed that that person intended or intends to be part of a demonstration.
A man having sex (regardless of consent or not) with his wife (if she happens to be below the age of 13) is considered rape.
Jacob on March 17, 2012:
This has made my day let alone helped me with a school project there is tons of awesome humor but it is scary to think all those are true
orey on March 05, 2012:
In Germany prostitutes are legal and the age of consent is 14..... I know I can't wait to go in to the foreign exchange program next year!
kate on March 02, 2012:
In oklahoma city, it is illegal to walk down the street backward whilst eating a hamburger
Sheogorath on March 02, 2012:
"In north carolina, if a man and a woman share a hotel room they are legally married."
What about two guys? The best I can get here in the UK is a civil partnership...
boo on March 01, 2012:
to any-one taking offense, lighten up obviously most of these laws are from a different era. The only one i know is that
-in Australia it is illegal to name animal you intend to eat.
Michael on February 28, 2012:
It's strictly illigal to grow, own, import or sell any soft- or harddrugs. However the Dutch government tolerates to grow and own under 5 Marihuana plants at home. It is also tolerated to carry 5 grams of soft drugs.
It is illigal to sell softdrugs, however the Dutch government tolerates coffeeshops to sell small quantities (5 grams). A coffeeshop can only have a stock up to 500 grams.
Maidhc on February 27, 2012:
You forgot one of Pennsylvania's (many) strange laws: (homemade) Bake sales are illegal. :)
A on February 27, 2012:
In England it is illegal to take a photograph of someone under 18 for "sexual purposes" eg. you fancy them. But you can legally have sex with them at 16. This law was made in 2003 and people can be put on the sex offenders register for it. This is not a joke.
Melissa on February 25, 2012:
Actually anyone in Australia can change a light bulb. The law only applies to commercial places such as schools, shops, etc.
PAlash Sarkar on February 24, 2012:
"- Due to lack of pants, Donald Duck cartoons were banned in Finland"
This is false. In the year 1977, Finland was going through a tough financial crisis. The government took some steps to save money, one of them was to ban the purchasing of Donald Duck comics. Well, here is one of the many links:
Simon Perkins on February 23, 2012:
I am assured by the various contributors that these are real standing laws from around the United States of America. I suspect some have been repealed, and a few may even be fictional, but I have no direct knowledge, so please don't take them too seriously - this is not a law manual! This is not in any way an attack on USA - other countries, including my own, have their share of stupid laws - you can see some of them on this page. Hope you enjoy these and remember, Law Enforcement is no joke!
1. It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
2. It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
3. Putting salt on a railway track may be punishable by death. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
4. Boogers may not be flicked into the wind. [Thanks to Tiffany Dozier]
5. You cannot chain your alligator to a fire hydrant. [Thanks to Ben Chastain]
6. Peanuts are not allowed to be sold in Lee County, Alabama after sunset on Wednesdays. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
7. You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
8. It is legal to drive the wrong way on a one way street if you have a lantern on the front of your car. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
1. You can't look at a moose from an aeroplane. [Thanks to Dave Knott]
2. Kangaroos are not allowed in barber shops at any time. [Thanks to an anonymous contributor]
3. Even though it is legal to hunt a bear, it is illegal to wake a bear and take a picture for photo opportunities. [Thanks to Kyle Brown]
4. It is an offence to push a live moose out of a moving aeroplane. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
5. It is State Policy that all emergencies are held to a minimum. [Thanks to Susan Goodgine]
1. It is illegal to mispronounce Arkansas while in Arkansas [Thanks to Aaron Parmet for that one]
1. Community leaders passed an ordinance that makes it illegal for anyone to try and stop a child from playfully jumping over puddles of water.
2. It is illegal to eat an orange in your bathtub [Thanks to Meagin Caza for that one]
3. Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses. [Thanks to Caleb Hicks]
4. A city ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits. [Thanks to Caleb Hicks]
1. It is illegal for a woman wearing a red dress to be out on the streets after 7 p.m. [Thanks to Molly Lane]
2. It is illegal to let your cat run loose in Denver unless it has a taillight. [Thanks to Krystal Stephens]
3. A dogcatcher must notify the dog, three days before they capture them, of their intentions. (I think that's also Denver) [Thanks to Krystal Stephens]
4. It is illegal to drive a black car on Sunday in Denver. [Thanks to Krystal Stephens]
1. You can be stopped by the police for biking over 65 miles per hour.
2. You are not allowed to walk across a street on your hands.
3. A pickle is not officially a pickle unless it bounces [Thanks to an anonymous sender at Emaloo5489@aol.com for that one]
1. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
2. A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
3. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
4. (SARASOTA) It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
5. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
6. In Miami, it is forbidden to imitate an animal. [Thanks to Dave Knott]
7. It is illegal to fart in a public place after 6:00pm on a Thursday. [Thanks to John Andrews]
8. It is illegal to have sexual intercourse with a porcupine. [Thanks to Allison Neely]
9. It is illegal for a woman to bungie jump naked on Sunday before midday. [Thanks to Danny Giffen]
10. In Miami it is illegal to park your elephant on 8th Street on Sundays after 1pm. [Thanks to Diana E. Lopez]
11. It's illegal to purchase alcohol before 1pm on Sundays in the city of Coral Gables. [Thanks to Diana E. Lopez]
1. It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a lamp post.[Thanks to Saz for that]
2. It is illegal to take a bath of orange peel.[Thanks to Saz for that]
3. In Peachtree City, it is illegal to be homeless. [Thanks to Kathy Doan]
1. In Hawaii you will be fined if you do not own a boat. [Thanks to Renee for that]
Except for the first two, the following Illinois laws were kindly supplied to me by Angelique N. Morris, who also helpfully provided sources. I have simply copy/pasted her material below, with insertion of the necessary HTML code and a little different punctuation:
1. It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animal kept as pets.
2. It is illegal to eat in a restaurant if it is on fire. [Thanks to Kristofer Swärdståhl]
3. You may be arrested for vagrancy if you do not have at least one dollar bill on your person.
4. You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.
5. The English language is not to be spoken.
6. City Laws in Illinois:
No one may stand on the sidewalk on the 500 block of Illinois Ave.
One may not pee in his neighbor's mouth.
1. All businesses entering into contracts with the city must sift through their records and report any business they had dealing with slaves during the era of slavery. Details http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/illinoi... Full text of the Law: Slavery Era Disclosure Ordinance (Source: Downey, Sarah. Slavery Disclosure Time. Newsweek. January 27, 2003.)
2. Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire.
3. It is illegal to give a dog whiskey.
4. It is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe's neck.
5. Kites may not be flown within the city limits.
6. In the Pullman area, it is illegal to drink beer out of a bucket while sitting on the curb.
7. It is legal to protest naked in front of city hall as long as you are under seventeen years of age and have legal permits.
Humming on public streets is prohibited on Sundays.
1. It is considered an offense to attempt to have sex with one's dog.
2. Cars may not be driven through the town.
6. Crystal Lake
If one wishes to plant new sod in his or her yard in the summer months, that person may not use the city's water to water it.
7. Des Plaines
Wheelbarrows with For-Sale signs may not be chained to trees.
1. Bowling is forbidden.
2. It is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
It is unlawful for "negroes" to be within county boundaries from sundown to sunrise.
1. No person may keep a smelly dog. Details http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/illinoi... Full text of the Law:
Sec. 4-6. Noise, odor, etc.
No person shall keep or maintain any animal, poultry or fowl in such a manner to cause inconvenience or disturbance to other persons by reason of noise, odor or other cause.
(Ord. No. 84-935, ? .0311, 2-20-84)
2. It is illegal to burn bird feathers. Details http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/illinoi... Full text of the Law:
Sec. 4-23. Burning of animal matter; prohibited.
No person shall burn any feathers, hides or any other animal matter within the corporate limits of the city.
(Ord. No. 84-935, ? .10, 2-20-84)
3. Jostling others is illegal. Details http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/illinoi... Full text of the Law:
Sec. 15-108. Jostling and crowding.
No person shall jostle or willfully crowd any member of the public in any public or private place, or otherwise interfere intentionally with the peaceful pursuit of their affairs.
(Ord. No. 63-695, ? .013, 1-21-63)
4. No bicyclist may practice "fancy riding" on any city street. Details http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/illinoi... Full text of the Law:
Sec. 28-345. Trick riding.
No rider of a
Graham on February 21, 2012:
In the UK there are over 2000 things it's illegal to buy on a Sunday.Bible's and garden gnomes are among them.A lot of these laws are outdated of course but are still on the books.
Graham on February 21, 2012:
In Thailand it's illegal to leave the house without wearing underwear.True to this day.
Aurora on February 21, 2012:
Hey! This is supposed to be HUMOROUS, not informational, to all you idiots ranting about them being fake! Although, you all should see someone about those dysfunctional funnybones...
Aperson on February 20, 2012:
Some are these are fake. In Burma you're allowed to access the internet, but the government just banned a lot of websites. It's not illegal!
kinaa on February 14, 2012:
this laws arent that funny tbh i iked the poice one that was funny but some of these laws are really stupisss
Tony on February 08, 2012:
One small amendment a lot of these laws are POSSIBLY true. Just because you don't know it didn't mean it is not and vice versa.
Tony on February 08, 2012:
Ok some people need a humour exchange especially the guy from Lebanon. These laws mostly do exist. Some may have been repealed or they don't enter public consciousness because no one enforces then now. For example in one place in America (Philadelphia I think) it's illegal to sleep in a fridge. No one gets punished for it though even though it was a safety concern back when fridges could lock. They just never bothered taking it off the books. So those people who are getting shirty give it a rest and just because you have not heard of it out see blatant disregard of the law does not mean it does not exist.
Sarah on February 06, 2012:
Relax people, no one was trying to say one country is better or worse than anywhere else, it was just funny to see the different laws for each country, wether they are still in use or were from 1000s of years ago wasn't really the main point, alot of them were probably made up by someone years ago and they stuck, just admit it, you wouldn't have read it if you didn't find it interesting/funny so just take it as it was intended and laugh. i did :)
Amy on February 06, 2012:
ALl the above are funny, but the spelling errors and the lack of or misplaced comma's make some hard to understand.
chris114 on February 06, 2012:
In missouri usa its illegal to drink beer from a bucket while sitting on a street curb.
FLIP on February 05, 2012:
When you're at the airport, is is illegal to say the word "BOMB" or "BOMBA".
Alexh on February 05, 2012:
Lol in Oshawa Ontario Canada it's illegal to climb trees and its illegal to kill bigfoot in Canada
shit-a-brick on February 03, 2012:
Alex on January 25, 2012:
In north carolina, if a man and a woman share a hotel room they are legally married.
The punishment in new york for jumping off a building more than five stories high is execution.
some_bloke on January 24, 2012:
@Timmy, "In Adelaide you can drive while drinking a beer,as long as you are under the limit" is pigs ass. If it does happen to be true it would be contradicted by the law that no one may have an open alcoholic beverage in a vehicle, even the passanger. Although a law in Adelaide, South Australia that still exists today is that it is illegal to allow chickens to run loose in Rundle Mall. And to all who are unsure of what Rundle Mall is, it is a stretch of street closed off to traffic and used as a shopping hot spot. This law refers to back in olden days the mall was used as markets for trading livestock and various other items so to allow chickens to run loose was illegal. This law is clearly out of date and has not been withdrawn, as I would suspect many of the laws mentioned here would be, either that or started as rumours and are so far gone now no one can tell the difference, so lads, don't get fired up so easily, it could quite easily be a mistake or an uncommon law forgotten by all.
Laura on January 23, 2012:
Mickey Mouse was NEVER banned in Romania !!! Television transmissions started in 1955 in Romania !!!
Ginny on January 22, 2012:
Okay- so I'm from Australia and i hate to break it to you but you don't have to be an electrician to change a light bulb- that's ridiculous! Hahahahaha but they do make a lot of money here!
Ted on January 22, 2012:
Barbara Vigar on January 21, 2012:
In Adelaide South Australia public urination is illegal unless performed by a male on the left side of his tethered horse in Hutt st.
Timmy on January 21, 2012:
In Adelaide you can drive while drinking a beer,as long as you are under the limit
Finnish on January 20, 2012:
The law about Donald Duck in Finland is not true. It's an urban legend spread abroad in 1970'ies. Donald Duck magazine is the most popular magazine in Finland.
avaaustralia on January 19, 2012:
The laws about Australia aren't true.
Elmeromero1395 on January 19, 2012:
This was hilarious....some people should learn to take a joke now & again! And if it's a real law...deal w/ it, lmao!
Azmi on January 19, 2012:
A lot of this is bullshit.Like the one about Lebanon.
Jad on January 19, 2012:
Well it seems you don't like mistakes.
By removing my post on your facebook, you wont stop me.
I will only stop if this info is removed.
Abir on January 19, 2012:
Please check well your information before posting it.. What you said about Lebanon is totally wrong.. as Lebanese I confirm that we don't have such law for such act
matt fordham on January 18, 2012:
I don't think any of these laws are enforced apart from the tv licence here in the uk but that's because tv is free apart from if you want to be robbed of your hard earned cash by sky tv. TBH at the moment I don't think the English police are enforcing any laws, they've all f£$%ed off and you can do whatever you want it seems.
Bruce on January 18, 2012:
Wow. Some of those have to be made up. I find it hard to believe that any policeman would willingly hand over his helmet so that a pregnant lady could relieve herself in it. Or maybe I'm just not that chivalrous. But I guess it just shows how important it is to know the law, wherever you are. Just in case you're ever in Utah, check out http://www.fabianlaw.com.
Theo on January 18, 2012:
Most of them are fake, sorry guys but they are...
Read_the_Law on January 18, 2012:
@more_information about the "Kissing Law" of South Africa - it seems pretty effective to me. Especially in communities where rape and molestation are prevalent.
And TV licenses should have been phased out by now. It was only meant to be a "levy" to aid in raising capital to build infrastructure for free tv. How does Etv do it?
But lol, for Washington. If we didn't pretend to have wealthy parents, many a movie wouldn't have been made.
"In Eureka, Nevada, if you have a moustache it's against the law for you to kiss a woman." i should take my boyfriend there, maybe it will force him to shave his off!
samyak on January 17, 2012:
mashamasha on January 17, 2012:
@ Hiba..very nice. its one thing to make things up and have a laugh, but some things are insulting.. especially to the people who are proud of their roots, which im guessing is something new to you:)
Dp beaTz on January 16, 2012:
Lol this is funny to read at 2am.. Its illegal to spit on the ground in cail. ( hometown)
Christian hunt on January 15, 2012:
So this post is the best thing tO read when your up at 2 and have nOthin to do
hiba on January 14, 2012:
do you have the legal to write this fake laws u wrote a harmfull law about lebanon but be sure u wll be punished legally ;)
Ben Wilson on January 14, 2012:
In the State of Indiana. No male under the age of 21 may own sheep and over the age of 21 only married men may own sheep. No restrictions on females owning sheep.
Nothing on January 13, 2012:
Churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to provide spittoons "of a kind and number to efficiently contain expectorations into them."
(El Paso, Texas)
Chris on January 13, 2012:
In maine, shotguns are allowed to be taken to church in the event of an indian attack
khalil tarabein on January 11, 2012:
sorry but about the : - In Lebanon men are allowed to engage in sexual intercourse with female animals. If caught with a male animal the punishment is death.
id love to tell u that im lebanese and thats not mentioned or heard in lebanon , we are more class than any europian country ;)
frankie on January 09, 2012:
skimbo what's that law about bermondsey all about im from there
Skimbo on January 07, 2012:
It is illegal to read House Of Fun if you're more than 300 yards outside of Bermondsey
It's illegal to rant and whoop in churchyards unless you've had a Barnstormer Black Six and Millwall have just been relegated
It is illegal to synonymize degenerate old woman on council estates with any form of Crystal Palace victory
It is illegal to be sitting here at 3 in the morning doing this nonsense
Jo le taxi on January 06, 2012:
Its a popular missconception that a London cab should always carry a bale of hay, this has never been law not even when hackney carriages were horse drawn, at that time all that was required was some hand feed for the horse.
billy the hillbilly on January 05, 2012:
In kentucky it is illegal to ride a hourse at night without brake light and in jellico tenn. Its against the law to window shop.
dancergirl303 on January 04, 2012:
I have to wonder about the legitimacy of this site... I was born and raised in Colorado and lived in Boulder for quite a few years. I know for a fact it's not illegal to own any pets there.
mike on January 02, 2012:
the thing you had about lebanon law that you could have sex with an animal in general is not true what so ever ......
Ben on January 01, 2012:
It's not legal for pregnant women to relieve themselves in a policemans helmet in the UK. This law keeps popping up and it's a popular myth.
The law states that a pregnant woman may relieve themselves in a public place which is otherwise illegal. Why would a policemans helmet be any more effective than the ground beneath it?
Sanjna Patyal on December 31, 2011:
very interesting :O)
rayan on December 18, 2011:
in uganda,it is treason to protest against the government
rayan on December 18, 2011:
in uganda,it is treason to protest against the government
factsntips on December 16, 2011:
It was indeed a good research about various funny interesting laws around the world, you can get such funny facts even at http://www.factsntips.com/
shan on December 13, 2011:
the Australian law about the hot pants is fake
Jak on December 12, 2011:
On Christmas Island, Australia, it is illegal to drive over a red crab on the road intentionally, with up to a $5000 fine given to offenders.
Moo Hart on December 11, 2011:
In France, it's illegal to land a flying saucer in a vinyard.
JustSmile. on December 10, 2011:
Are these real .?
Brian on December 07, 2011:
It would add to the appeal and readability if you would learn the difference between "your" (possession) and "you're" (contraction of "you are"
colleen on December 05, 2011:
In the UK Homosexuality between males was made illegal by Queen Victoria. Lesbianism howeve, was not, as the Queen did not believe it could possibly exist!
Daniel Mitchell on December 05, 2011:
In Toronto, Canada it is illegal to park on your own driveway.
VicChik on December 03, 2011:
I'm from Victoria and I can tell you that the Victorian laws are either a complete myth,are so old no body cares, have forgotten them or the just really don't care. Because I know plenty of people who have changed light bulbs who aren't qualified electricians(including my family) and have definitively seen people wearing pink pants at all times of the day.
Any way the rest are absolutely hilarious!!
yen on December 03, 2011:
victoria australia: it is illegal to be involved in a rain dance
you cannot use a donkey to pull a cart but you may use a goat
savvy on December 02, 2011:
in texas it is illegal to throw a bottle at a tree
George on November 28, 2011:
Still on the books: In Maine, all churchgoers are required to carry shotguns to church on Sunday; in the event of attacks by Indians.
jb on November 28, 2011:
A few corrections about Denmark:
In Denmark, prostitutes are not prosecuted, nor their customers (yet), but being a pimp is still a crime and it is a crime to pay for sex if the prostitute is under 18 (unpaid sex is legal from 15). In Sweden, it is illegal to purchase sex, but not to be a prostitute.
First names still have to be chosen from one of two government lists (one for girls, one for boys), or you can apply to have another name added to the lists. Transsexuals can get permission to use a name from the "wrong" list.
A child must be named within 6 months of birth or the parents will be fined (in the past a default name would also be assigned when missing the deadline).
The law about mixing honey and water (if real) is about fraud, there are also limits on how much (if any) water can be added in other kinds of food. These laws are mostly about selling the watered down product.
lady c on November 28, 2011:
it is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas day.
Santa clause must deliver presents to all English households before midnight.
ladies may not enjoy eating chocolate while on public transport
It is illegal to be drunk on licensed premises
Kanake kenya on November 26, 2011:
It is illegal to consume alcohol beer before 5pm on weekdays and 2pm on weekends and puplic holidays in kenya holidays
Kanake kenya on November 26, 2011:
It is illegal to consume alcohol beer before 5pm on weekdays and 2pm on weekends and puplic holidays
Matt on November 24, 2011:
A man in Australia was arrested and fined for riding a cow while having a blood alcohol level above 0.05
Jelenichko on November 23, 2011:
alexandra on November 23, 2011:
From Romania : people need to pay taxes for using their horns. At the cars.....