Fun, Affordable, Unique Halloween Costumes for Dogs
Our dog enjoys waiting on the porch to greet Trick or Treaters in their Halloween costumes - and he especially loves the extra attention his costume garners him.
This will be his 4th Halloween. Each year we have fun dressing him in a different dog Halloween costume. In fact, the neighborhood kids start asking what he'll be for Halloween as soon as school starts, although they know we won't tell them and they'll have to wait and see.
We've included some important Halloween Safety Tips, including some specifically about choosing a costume for your pet.
You will find the most amazing dog costumes on this page, including incredible prehistoric dinosaur doggie costumes, animal costumes, sailor and pirate puppy costumes, fairy tale character pet costumes, and lots more! And they are all reasonably priced high quality dog costumes for Halloween that are adorable and guaranteed to evoke smiles.
Once again, we're asking for your help in selecting one of these unusual dog costumes for him --something other than the expected Halloween icons like Skeletons, Pumpkins or the perennially popular (for canines, at least) Hot Dog costume.
If your dog is anything like ours, s/he knows s/he's cute (and how to use that cuteness to their advantage) and will enjoy the extra love and attention an affordable unique fun costume will provide this Halloween.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Costumes
Safety Tips for Choosing Pet Costumes
1. Make sure your pet is a “ham” (even if not a pot-bellied pig) and likes to dress up. Some pets love costumes and others find them very stressful. Sometimes just part of a costume can cause your pet distress. Some dogs, for example, may enjoy wearing a shirt or dress but do not like hoods or anything on their heads. Be sure your pet is comfortable wearing the costume you choose.
2. Make sure the costume does not have dangling or added pieces that can easily be chewed off. This can be a choking hazard.
3. Make sure the costume is sized appropriately for your pet. If it is too large or too small it may be dangerous. Do not dress your pet in a costume that restricts movement or hearing or impedes her or his ability to bark, drink, and eat.
4. Try the costume on your pet before Halloween to check for fit, your pet’s comfort, and to make sure your pet does not have an allergic reaction to the costume or one of its parts. Be especially careful if you decide to dye your pet’s fur. Some animals can be allergic to these products even if they are stated to be non-toxic and all natural.
Pretty Pirate Girl Theme Dog Costume
Great with the Buccaneer Pirate Costume (below) if you have two dogs!
If you're dressing up like a pirate or pirate lass why not dress your dog up to match? The Pirate Girl Dog Costume is a black white and red dog-sized dress with gold trim. It even has an attached lace petticoat and a lace pirate hat.
Arrrrf Matey! Buccaneer Pirate Halloween Costume for Dogs
Halloween Safety Tips for Pets
- Treats are for Human Trick-or-Treaters. Keep them away from your pet. Chocolate can be very dangerous for dogs and cats. This includes all types of chocolate. Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems.
Emergency Pet Poison Control
If you suspect your pet has ingested
something toxic call your vet or the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
at (888) 426-4435 immediately.
- Pumpkins are not considered poisonous to pets, but dogs and cats who do decide to snack on them may get an upset stomach. The same goes for the decorative corn used for Halloween decorations.
Does Your Dog Have Gourmet Tastes?
Or is She Simply Delicious?
Then These are the Halloween Costumes for Your Pet(s)!
More Halloween Safety Tips for Pets
- Be careful of wire cords from electrical decorations. Your pet can get tangled up in the wire or if they chew on it, can get a possibly lethal shock.
- If you light a jack-o-lantern with a candle, make sure it is somewhere out of reach of your pet. Curious pets can get burned by getting too close to a flame or they can knock it over and start a fire.
You'll Go GaGa Over These Rockin' Costumes
Halloween Pet Safety Care Tips
- The repetitive ringing of your doorbell by trick-or-treaters may frighten your pet. If that is the case, you may want to stay near the open door and greet your neighborhood goblins before they reach for the bell button.
- Unless your pet is Very social, a succession of strangers coming up to the house may be scary and stressful. If that is the case, keep your pet in a separate room away from the door.
Pet Safety - Not Just For Halloween
- Make sure your pet won’t dart outside when you open the door. Keep your pet on a leash. Even if your pet is friendly, some children may be allergic to or fearful of animals so you may need to restrain an exuberantly people-loving pet.
- As you should always do, make sure your pet has an ID tag or a microchip so if your pet does get lost you will have a much better chance of having her or him returned to you as soon as possible.
Fairy Tale Themed Dog Costumes
All of The Fairy Tale Pet Costumes Above (& More!) Can Be Found Here
Knight in Shining Armor: Zack & Zoey knight costume is perfect for the classical pooch and is always a great choice for memorable halloween pictures. A costume suited for day and knight. This satin costume features a detachable hood, easy-fit pants and a sword toy with squeaker.
Snow (White) Princess: This beloved storybook character comes to life canine style. Your little girl will be as pretty as a princess dressed in layers of yellow tulle and a big red bow. This costume is great for a family dressing up in fairytale themed costumes.
King's Crown Costume Accessory: Plush style crown has faux-fur trim and jewel-like accents and is sized for your best friend in S/M (suggested for Chihuahua, Yorkie, Maltese, Beagle, Pekingese, Boston Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Pomeranian, Toy Breeds, and puppies) and M/L (for your Retriever, Labrador, Dalmatian, Springer Spaniel, Schnauzer, Bulldog, Boxer, German Shepherd, Pit-bull, or Weimaraner).
Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts: This Pet Costume consists of a two piece set featuring a layered lace-trimmed dress with a black overdress that has a white collar, red hearts and a red bow. The underskirt is red with white lace trim. The headpiece is a crown made of yellow felt.
Frog Prince: Froggy Doggy Pet Costume includes hood with crown and attached cape with ties. Outfit has front Velcro closure. Machine washable.
Alice in Wonderland White Rabbit: Two piece white rabbit dog costume with adjustable drawstring ears headpiece and attached ruffled collar in an easy-to-wear pull-on design. Don't be late! Order now!
Alice in Wonderland Alice: If you love the classic Alice in Wonderland movie you will love to dress your pet in this Alice in Wonderland ensemble. Your pet will look absolutely stunning in this polyester blue apron dress with attached lace petticoat and matching black headpiece. The costume features a black bow at the back and ruffled black/white lacing around
the hem of the skirt.
Little Red Riding Hood: One piece little red hood dress dog costume includes petticoat dress with corset back, attached red hoodie, and lace details. Easy to wear front closure.
Dinosaur Dog Halloween Stegosaurus & Triceratops Costumes
Your dog will make the cutest dinosaur when you put this great costume from Animal Planet on it. The Stegosaurus Dog Costume is a padded full suit with a dinosaur print and foam spines down its back. It also has a foam hood with dino eyes.
Paper Magic Zelda Dog Halloween Costumes
You've Got to Love This Trio!
Above photo, Left to Right:
Zelda Punk Rocker: Exclusive Punk Rocker pet costume includes jacket, pants, wig, and studded color. You supply the dogface and attitude.
Zelda Cave Dog: Maybe dogs are known as man's best friend because they remind us of what we were like in the stone age - hairy, slobbery and totally comfortable chowing down! This Zelda Cave Costume for Dogs will take both of you back to the good old (stone age) days. Includes wig and tunic. You supply the Bones.
Zelda Rapper Doggie Dog: Includes Rapper bodysuit with silvertone necklace and hat. Da bomb! You supply da canine and da rhyme.
All Available in Pet Sizes Small, Medium, and Large at
Costumes for Jedi Dogs and those from The Dark Side - Canine Star Wars
Star Wars Fan?
You can find more Official
Star Wars Costumes
for Pets (and Boys)
as well as some Classic
Star Wars Quotes
Would You Dress Your Dog for Halloween?
Whether you are owned by a canine or not, if you had the opportunity, would you dress your dog in a Halloween costume?
Halloween Costumes for Dogs?
Here's Nietzsche Wearing the Costume You Selected for Him in 2012
The 2012 winning costume was the Bucaneer Pirate, with 17% of the votes as of 10/24 when we ordered the costume. There was a 3-way tie for second place with the Puppy Pirate with Hook, Sailor, and Underdog each garnering 7.4% of the votes.
Thanks to all who participated.
Halloween 2013 - Hairy Potter!
The votes this year turned out the same as last year. I was quite happy with this since it meant we didn't have to purchase another costume, but wife had a different idea. She decided to create a costume for Nietzsche and you can see the results in the photo on the right. As soon as I get the instructions from her and have a hub about it published, I'll post a link here in case you'd like to do this for your puppy.
In the meantime, you'll need some black pipe cleaners and yarn in the Gryffindor, Slitherin, or Hogwarts colors you want to use, knitting needles or if you prefer, a crochet hook. If you want to add a crest to the scarf, you can purchase an applique or make your own. Since this costume decision was made on October 30th, we didn't have time for that so my wife printed one out and glued it to the scarf.
Halloween 2014 ~ Wise Yoda It Is
More Great Halloween Costumes for Pets & People
Want to See More?
You can find all of our Pet Pages at
This page also includes some adorable photos and videos, the latest news involving dogs and cats, some of my favorite pet quotes, some fun quizzes and polls, and a few of my pets' favorite things.
Most of the information on my pet pages about dogs and cats (or, if you prefer, cats and dogs) is based on personal experience which is reflected in my choice and review of pet stories, pet supplies and pet products. As my two cats age and my puppy grows to adult dog-hood, I will be adding more pages about relevant topics.
Please paws (sorry, couldn't resist) a moment and sign our Guestbook and let us know what you think about this page. Your Feedback is very important to us.
Before You Make Tracks...
Mrs Lorraine L Probert on May 23, 2018:
Do you still have the pink ladies and T- bird costumes in for dogs please
Kindest regards Lorraine Probert
anonymous on August 23, 2013:
very cute lens! i love doggies so it was fun to look at all the unique costumes. I was torn between waldo and underdog but went with waldo as he'll be adorable in that one!! Thank you.
Sandy Mertens from Frozen Tundra on August 18, 2013:
I can't decide which one I like best.
anonymous on October 20, 2012:
Nice lense m8... Keep up the good work
Nancy Carol Brown Hardin from Las Vegas, NV on October 09, 2012:
Love this page! Excellent lens and thanks for sharing.
Dianne Loomos on October 06, 2012:
Can't wait to see the photo of your dog in his Halloween costume!
PennyHowe on September 28, 2012:
Thanks for putting a big smile on my face. The pictures and costumes on your lens are priceless!
NYThroughTheLens on September 16, 2012:
Yes!!! Ok, you have a great set of lenses. I attend the Halloween Dog Parade here in NYC every year and I photograph it so this lens obviously appeals to my sensibilities. :)
MatijaB LM on September 14, 2012:
Amazing dresses for dogs ... I think I need dog :)
anonymous on September 12, 2012:
You have given me paws as I enjoyed going back and forth enjoying your dress up dog show, nicely done!
mumsgather on September 06, 2012:
You've got some pretty good selections here. I like the caveman one.
whiteskyline lm on September 02, 2012:
Those are awesome! I will have to tell my sister about this.
Helene-Malmsio on August 17, 2012:
This is a truly adorable selection of unique dog Halloween costumes - well done!
You have put a big smile on my face for the rest of the day.
anonymous on August 13, 2012:
It never fails to amaze me the range of dog Halloween costumes. I guess there must be a lot of demand for them. I have 3 dogs but wouldn't dress them up for Halloween, but that is just a personal preference. Besides, I would have a devil of a job keeping a costume on any one of them!
psiloveyou1 on August 13, 2012:
Even if you don't have a dog, how can you now love this lens!! It made me smile. :) Sending an Angel Blessing your way.
flycatcherrr on August 05, 2012:
Too cute! Sadly, there are very few costumes made to fit greyhounds, so we always have to go with something involving duct tape... Do let us know what costume you pick for Nietzsche, in the end, and whether he ever speaks to you again! :-D
Elsie Hagley from New Zealand on August 05, 2012:
Love this lens. Your intro module made me smile, it looks as thought life has got him down with a ton weight on his head. Thanks for sharing, can't help but love those animals. Blessed.