I like to share creative ideas for moms, DIY, family fun, crafts, travel, recipes, party planning, shopping, discounts, gifts, and more.
Real or Artificial tree? LED or regular lights? Beach theme? Winter Wonderland theme? All one color? Handmade ornaments? Tinsel or Garland? Decisions decisions. Here you'll find Christmas tree photos and decorating tips to inspire you with ideas for decorating your tree this holiday season as well as a how-to video for adding lights to your Christmas tree.
The most important thing to keep mind when you're trimming your Christmas tree is to enjoy the process! Don't stress over making the tree perfect. Make decorating the tree a family affair. You might want to put the lights on the tree by yourself, the day before actually decorating the tree with kids since the lights take a while to do and kids can lose patience.
For a bold look, decorate your Christmas tree with ornaments and balls that are all the same color. For example, use white lights and all gold ornaments, balls, garland and decorations or all blue ornaments or all red, use your favorite color. You can buy inexpensive ornaments to achieve the single color theme at Walmart, Target, or even the Dollar Store.
Fill the tree with ribbon, garland and filler in the same color as your decorations, or in a complementary color. A great place to buy ribbon is at Michael's or AC Moore with the 40% discount coupon. The best ribbon to buy is wired ribbon. You can make bows with the ribbon or just twist the ribbon and place it all over the tree.
You can add shimmer to your tree by using ornaments that sparkle. You can take ornaments you already own and make them sparkle by adding glitter, simply brush the ornament with white Elmer's glue and sprinkle with gold or white glitter.
DECORATE THE TREE WITH A THEME
- Beach themed ornaments are perfect for decorating the tree, even if you live miles away from the nearest beach. Shells, starfish, and blown glass ornaments create an elegant look.
- You can buy beach Christmas ornaments online, or make your own ornaments. Just hot glue ribbon to the back of seashells, sand dollars or starfish and you're ready to hang your new beach ornaments on the tree.
- Angel ornaments are popular in all the department and specialty stores. Macy's has a wonderful selection of elegant Lenox angel ornaments. Use the angels as your main ornaments and accent the tree with solid color balls in all one color. Topping your tree is easy if you pick an angel theme since there are usually a variety of angel tree toppers available in all the stores and on Ebay!
- Handmade ornaments are a beautiful way to decorate your tree. The ornaments could be handmade by you, or there are many beautiful handmade ornaments availeable for sale online at Etsy.
- You can find craft tutorials and instructions online for making christmas balls, angel ornaments, bread-dough ornaments, photo ornaments and more! Angel ornaments are the easiest to hand make since there are so many different ways you can make them.
- Patriotic themed Christmas tree. Do you have family or friends serving in the military overseas this holiday season? Honor them by decorating your tree with a Patriotic theme.
- You can easily find red, white and blue decorations online at stores such as Oriental Trading or locally at your nearest party supply stores.
- If you're a Disney fan or have kids that love all the Disney characters, what better way to trim a tree than with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Buzz Lightyear, Finding Nemo, The Little Mermaid, the Disney Princesses, and Tinkerbell ornaments?
- Try the Hallmark or Disney store to buy character ornaments and load up the tree. You can also buy Disney ornaments on Ebay and Amazon. Be sure to check the sales after Christmas to add to your Disney ornament collection!
Tips for Placing the Ornaments on the Tree
- First, add your lights to the tree. See the YouTube video below for help.
- Next, start adding your ornaments to the tree by using about 50 solid color inexpensive balls or ornaments and space them evenly all over the tree. It's best to stick with one or two colors that blend with your theme. Stores like Walmart have a great variety of Christmas balls and ornaments in a variety of colors and sizes that are inexpensive and look great!
- Add your remaining ornaments. These can be your themed Christmas ornaments, handmade ornaments, traditional family ornaments, etc.
- When you place the ornaments on the Christmas tree work from the inside out. Place the ornaments toward the center of the tree first then toward the outer branches.
- Don't hang all the ornaments on the tips of the tree branches!
Real or Fake?
Christmas Tree Lights
When deciding how many Christmas tree lights to use on your tree, a good rule of thumb is to use 100 lights for every foot of decorated Christmas tree. For example, a seven foot tree would require 700 lights. The more lights the better, I would go with 800 to 1000 for a seven foot tree.
When decorating your tree, first put the lights on the tree, then the ornaments, and then the garland. Watch the YouTube video below for a how-to guide to putting lights on the Christmas tree.
LED Christmas lights are a terrific new choice for lighting your Christmas tree; no more broken bulbs and burned out fuses! LED lights are brighter and last longer than traditional Christmas lights. The LED lights also cost less to use.
White or Multi-Color?
Video How To Put Lights on the Christmas Tree
Hopefully these Christmas tree photos and ideas have inspired you as you decorate your family's tree this holiday season! Merry Christmas!
P.S. Start thinking about next year's tree and take advantage of the after Christmas sales for lights, ornaments and garland. These sales sometimes offer decorations for half price and up to seventy five percent off. What a great way to start a new theme or add to your ornament collection!
© 2012 MomsTreasureChest
Trimming the Christmas Tree Comments
Radhika Sreekanth from Mumbai,India on April 08, 2013:
Beautiful Christmas trees! Your decorative ideas are glorious!
MomsTreasureChest (author) on February 12, 2013:
Thanks American_Choices! Yes, the handmade ornaments are made in the USA. What a great idea it would be to have Etsy capsules on HubPages!
MomsTreasureChest (author) on February 12, 2013:
Thanks peachpurple, glad you enjoyed the photos and that they brought back some happy memories!
Ken Kline from USA on January 02, 2013:
Pure fun! I wish there were American made ornaments. I guess the handmade ones are. I wonder if some of the customized photos are manufactured here in the United States? Any insights?
My wife just found Etsy - that is a great site for hand made items - wish HubPages had a capsule to include some items from that site.
peachy from Home Sweet Home on December 08, 2012:
Wow, wow, wee! This hub is full of Christmas tree, it has been a long time since I saw a Christmas in any of my friends or family home, not a trend here. Nowadays, you can admire beautiful giant Christmas tree in shopping mall and take photo too, great for remembrance, beautiful hub