The Ultimate List of Halloween Costumes
There are so many different costume ideas to choose from, that picking the one that is right for you can be hard work - after all, you can dress as anything and anyone in the world!
So to help, I've put as many ideas as I can think of into an A-Z list to get your creative juices flowing. If you're buying a fancy dress costume or making your own, there's sure to be an idea here to inspire you.
I hope you find this list useful for your next costume party :-)
Video of 400+ Ideas
Son Of Man
I like this idea based on an artwork by René Magritte - Click here for more information on the artist and his artworks.
A-D of Fancy Dress Ideas
- Agent Smith (from the Matrix)
- Air Hostess
- Alice in Wonderland
- American tourist - white socks, sandals, Bermuda shorts and Hawaiian shirt.
- Ancient Egyptian
- Army soldier
- Audrey Hepburn
- Austin Powers
- Avatar character
- Bam Bam
- Baywatch lifeguard
- Bearded Lady
- One of the Beatles
- Bellatrix Lestrange or a Death Eater from Harry Potter
- Belly Dancer - bikini decorated with rhinestones, glitter, fringe, braiding, etc. Use lightweight gauzy or silky fabric to make a skirt and veil. Wear cheap sandals, a veil to cover the bottom half of your face, loads of black kohl eyeliner, lots of bangles and rings.
- Blues Brother
- Bride of Frankenstein
- Bugsy Malone - with party string gun and pinstripe suit.
- Bunny girl
- Burglar - black and white striped top, swag bag and black mask/balaclava.
- Caesar salad - Toga with some lettuce leaves stapled on!
- Can-can dancer
- Captain Hook
- Captain Jack Sparrow
- Cat/Cheshire cat
- Caterpillar (use a green sleeping bag)
- Cat man - normal clothes with holes in and fur poking out + mud/dirt.
- Cereal killer - Make and wear a giant cereal box and carry a fake weapon.
- Charlie Chaplin
- Chimney Sweep
- Circus ringmaster
- Clark Kent
- Colonel Mustard
- Comic book character - fake plastic hair, orange face, cardboard clothes, cardboard speech/thought bubbles.
- Cookie Monster
- Corpse/corpse Bride
- Cousin It from The Addams Family
- Crocodile Dundee (and get one of those inflatable crocodiles)
- Cruella de Vil
- Darth Vader
- Dead Ballerina - little black dress, white face paint, dark eyeliner, comfortable shoes, stockings (preferably ones that all ready have runs in them), a bit of mud or dirt and some fallen leaves. Add white face paint and dark eyeliner for the hollow of your cheeks and lips. If you have long hair, the classic 'ballerina' bun would be ideal.
- Dennis the Menace
- Dick Van Dyke
- Doctor Who
- Doll - with wire in pigtails to make them stick out.
- Dorothy from Wizard of Oz - blue gingham pinafore, white blouse, red glitter shoes, hair in plaits, basket and a stuffed dog.
- Dr Frank N Furter
Impressive Costumes To Buy
I know most people don't really have much time to make a costume from scratch, so the best solution is therefore to buy a pre-made outfit.
E-J of Fancy Dress Ideas
- Edward Scissorhands
- Fallen angel: Make yourself a tarnished halo from a wire hanger. Wear a toga with burn marks, and slits in the back where your wings have been clipped.
- Fester or Gomez from The Addams Family
- Flamenco dancer
- Flapper girl
- Flowerpot man
- Forensic Scientist
- French Maid
- French person
- Freudian Slip - Wear a slip dress and a Dr Freud name tag, and carry an unlit cigar.
- Frida Kahlo
- Geisha - loads of blusher, red lipstick, hair up in a bun, a fan, kimono, white socks, wooden flip-flops & white face paint.
- Gingerbread man
- Gnome (red pointy hat and white beard)
- Grapes - purple tights, purple (long sleeved) body suit, 12 purple balloons in a triangle shape (front and back) and a green felt hat.
- Greek God/Goddess
- Grim reaper
- Hannibal Lector
- Harry Potter
- Headless (person/horseman/ghost)
- Hippy - Tie-dye clothing, long wig, sandals, headband, anything with fringe on it (vests, purse...), light coloured sunglasses.
- Homer Simpson
- Homicidal maniac
- Hula girl/Hawaiian
- Ice queen
- Indiana Jones
- Iron Man
- Jack O Lantern
- Jack Skellington
- Jack Sparrow
- James Bond
- Jazz Musician (suit, hat and toy sax)
- The Joker
- Jolly Green Giant
- Julius Caesar
I think it's always more fun to choose a miscellaneous or background character in your favourite film to keep people guessing all night - and nobody else will be dressed the same!
Photo by NightFall404.
K-N of Fancy Dress Ideas
- Karate Kid
- Kate Bush
- King Kong
- Krusty the Clown
- Kung Fu Panda
- Kurt Cobain
- Lara Croft
- Lazy (no costume!)
- Little Mermaid
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Mad Hatter
- Mad scientist
- Maid Marian
- Marge Simpson
- Marie Antoinette
- Marilyn Monroe
- Mario (or Luigi)
- Mary Poppins
- Men in Black
- Michael Jackson (e.g. in the Thriller video)
- Milky Bar Kid
- A millionaire (dress like the guy from monopoly board game)
- Minnie Mouse
- Miss Piggy
- Miss Print - Black leotard as a base. Newspaper folded into pleats to make a skirt, collar, cuffs and hat. A sash worn over the top saying 'Miss Print'. The finishing touch; an umbrella covered in newsprint and held as a parasol
- Moulin Rouge dancer
- Mr Bean
- Mr Blobby
- Mr Muscle
- Mrs Doubtfire
- Nacho Libre
- Napoleon (Dynamite or Bonaparte)
- Native American
- Ned Flanders
- Neil Armstrong
- Nemo (from Finding Nemo)
- Neo (from the Matrix)
- Nerd - Slick back the hair, grab some trousers that are too short, white shirt, white socks, loafers or lace up oxfords, pocket protector, with lots of pens, dark rim glasses (don't forget to tape the corner, or at least paper clip it) briefcase or backpack.
- New Romantic/80's icon - Spiky hair, plenty of eyeliner, dazzling or dark lipstick, several stripes of varying colour face paint (alternatively one big white stripe Adam Ant style), frilly white blouse with long white cuffs, tight jeans, patterned old waistcoat, big black boots/DM's, and attitude of course!
O-R of Fancy Dress Ideas
- Old man (dark trousers and jacket, a dress shirt, mans flat cap, walking stick. Dye hair grey with dye or dust with a little flour.) You could even dress as a 'dirty old man' with a mirror on the bottom of your walking stick for looking up skirts!
OR you can be an old woman (old fashioned long dress, stockings rolled down a little, oxfords, large black purse, wig, headscarf).
- Oompa Loompa
- Orc (from Lord of the Rings)
- Pantomime Dame/Horse
- Paparazzi - Carry a fake press pass and as many cameras as you can carry. Take photos of people all night.
- Peas in a pod - Take a large amount of bright green carrier bags and fasten together to make a tube large enough to fit from neck to ankle, fasten green balloons down the front.
- Olive Oyl
- Peter Pan
- Phantom of the Opera
- A 'Pink lady' from Grease
- Pirate - Black eye make-up, frilly shirts, high boots, hat/bandana, eye patch, parrot, 3/4 length baggy shorts, waistcoat, stripes, sword, and lots of bangles/beads/rings/bling.
- Plague victim
- Pop/Rock star
- Possessed person
- Mr Potato Head
- Prince Charming
- Pyscho killer - They look like everyone else!
- The Queen/a queen from history
- Queen of Hearts
- Quasimodo (hunchback)
- Rag doll
- Raindrop - dress in blue with a home-made pointed hat and a bubble skirt
- Red Indian
- Red riding hood
- Richie Rich
- Rick Astley
- Ringmaster - Top hat, waistcoat, moustache, whip, tailcoat.
- Robin (as in Batman and Robin)
- Robin Hood
- Ronald McDonald
- Rose from the Titanic film - Wear an old fashioned dress and use some glitter for frost, make your lips a bit blue and carry a bit of wood that you can pretend to float on!
- Rupert Bear
Become a TV/Film Character or Celeb
I love this Quagmire costume from the 'Family Guy' TV show - it's so cool!
To make one yourself, you could enlarge the face of your chosen character on the computer so it's the size you want your mask to be, print it out and either stick in onto cardboard or copy it onto cardboard using markers/paints. Alternatively, you could draw/paint over the printout when it's glued onto the cardboard face shape for better definition. Then you could attach elastic to make a mask or do what the above photo shows, and create a cardboard box on the back so it fits over your head. Paint/colour these back sections to match with the front section. Then just create the costume; the Quagmire costume is pretty easy as all that was needed to do was to paint yellow flowers onto an old/cheap red shirt et voila!
Fancy Dress Ideas Beginning With S
- Sandy from Grease
- Scary Fairy
- Scot (with tartan kilt)
- Scream (with Scream mask and white forensic overalls)
- Scuba diver
- Serial killer
- Shaggy/Scooby Doo
- Sexy beast!
- Shadow - all in black (maybe get a black Morphsuit)
- Sherlock Holmes
- Sideshow Mel/Bob from The Simpsons - or you could just go as 'a Simpson' and pick any character you want!
- Siren - Wear something a bit mermaid looking but you don't have the confines of a tail and the nakedness of a bikini, perhaps a toga type thing with wavy hair and make all your skin a bit bluish.
- Snow White
- A Spartan
- Spice Girl
- Spongebob Squarepants
- Statue - Make a toga from an old white sheet, wear flat sandals and use white body makeup and/or the kind of spray paint that is made for hair and paint everything that shows, including the toga. Let yourself dry thoroughly before sitting. Be very careful about sitting on fabric or other materials which don't wipe off easily.
- Statue of Liberty
- Sugar daddy
- Sumo wrestler
- Surrealist painter - Wear painter's pants or overalls and a painters cap turned backwards. Carry a brush glued full of plastic flowers. If you do impressions, you could be an impressionist painter!
- Sweeney Todd
Alice & Mad Hatter
T-Z of Fancy Dress Ideas
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
- Tesco Value costume (for people in the UK) - wear a lot of white and blue with blue and red make-up and jewellery, and a stripey sign on your chest that says 'Tesco Value.'
- Tin man
- Tourist - Hawaii shirt, shorts, large straw hat. And for girls - bright loud dress, flats, big sun hat and straw bag. Don't forget to have a camera, maps and that look of being lost!
- Ugly Betty
- Ugly sister (from the Cinderella pantomime)
- Vampire Slayer
- Van Helsing (monster hunter)
- Village Idiot
- Wednesday Addams
- Where's Wally/Waldo
- Willy Wonka
- Wilma Flintstone
- Wind - you could stick wire through your coat so its gaping open/flying backwards, mess up your hair & gel it in the same direction, turn an umbrella inside out & make ur cheeks red for the "windswept/flushed" look
- Wizard of Oz
- Wonder Woman
- Yogi Bear
- Ziggy Stardust
Get Your Creative Juices Flowing!
Your fancy dress costume can literally be anything, so it's impossible to write down every idea on this page. So, to think of something that no-one else will, you can use the following ideas:
- Look through the dictionary - This is especially useful when the party host has asked you to dress as something beginnning with a particular letter of the alphabet.
- Dress like a random inanimate object or product such as the Rubik's cube, a tin of Spam or a sandwich!
- Dress like a celebrity such as Simon Cowell or George Bush, or as a singer/band member such as Freddie Mercury or Lady Gaga. If you're going to a party as a group, you could dress as a complete band such as Kiss, Queen, the Spice Girls or the Village People.
- Dress as a book character such as Tinkerbell, Peter Pan, the Mad Hatter or Severus Snape.
- Dress as a film character. If this is for a Halloween party, you could pick a character from a horror movie - maybe a scary character or villain such as The Joker, the evil Queen in Snow White or Freddie Krueger. If not, you could go as someone like James Bond, Wolverine, Edward Scissorhands, Princess Fiona from Shrek or Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter.
- Dress as someone off a TV program such as Ugly Betty, Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons, Sue Sylvester off Glee, a character off Scooby Doo etc.
- Pick a fairy story/Disney/cartoon character such as Bo Beep, Bugs Bunny, Aladdin, Jasmine etc, and if you want to be a bit twisted, you could turn them 'scary' with fake blood, make-up and props - such as 'Little Dead Riding Hood'!
- Dress for a certain decade/style era, such as the 50's ('Grease' style with pedal pushers, 50's style scarf, peep-toe shoes, high ponytail), 60's (hippy) or the 90's (bum bags and leggings/legwarmers)
- You could choose a member of a fictional family such as the Addams family or the Flintstones.
- Dress as an animal, fantasy or real e.g. centaur, lion, penguin etc.
- Dress as someone (or something) from Star Trek or Star Wars.
- Dress as someone who you know will be at the party (maybe the host?) - but be flattering!
- Take someone essentially good like Santa Clause, Easter bunny, Tooth fairy, the Queen, Ronald McDonald etc and turn them evil!
- Try a 'Half 'n' half costume' - with one half evil, one half normal OR one half good (angel), one half bad (devil) OR one half alive, one half zombie OR one half good clown, one half evil clown OR one half normal and one half fancy dress.
- Choose your favourite cartoon character - perhaps from your childhood. Examples include Family Guy, Recess, Beavis & Butthead and Johnny Bravo.
Please Leave a Comment!
Alice on June 21, 2016:
So many good ideas, thanks :) If you need more ideas for a special letter, you also can refer to this page :) http://www.fancydressideas.net/original-costume-id...
Aladdinscave LM on April 22, 2014:
This is just brilliant :)
anonymous on September 17, 2013:
its nice as visit I appreciate you.
anonymous on October 30, 2012:
the dead disney were cool, but i liked ( and will probably use) the victorian thing cuz i have a victorian main costume and probably white face paint, and i also liked the smurf one, so simple yet awesome! paint urselft blue, put on white clothes, VOILA!
anonymous on October 25, 2012:
@anonymous: same totally
anonymous on October 01, 2012:
I liked the dead disney characters :P
mikymini on September 04, 2012:
Nice lens... some great ideas Thank you.
angielichtenstein on September 27, 2011:
Green plastic army man is really cool!
NaturalVamp on September 14, 2011:
The popcorn costume is out there for me.
travelbroad on September 07, 2011:
This is one comprehensive list you have here.
Samuel Franklin on September 08, 2010:
Now thats an awful lot of customer ideas!