Celebrate with Inspiring Milestone Birthday Quotes
Pondering an important birthday? When you or someone close is faced with a milestone birthday, you want to pay attention, and do it up right. You'll find quotes and thoughts about turning 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 years old right here! Keep scrolling, and you'll find quotes for each decade, gift suggestions for each decade, along with comments from ordinary (and extraordinary) people about each decade of life.
Decade by by decade, milestone birthday quotes are all in one place right here. Use these birthday quotes at parties, on cards, or just in birthday conversation.
How does it happen, anyway? My friends and I just keep getting older and older! My sister recently had a forest fire birthday cake . Too bad we didn't have space to write a great quote on it due to the number of candles. I did put a milestone birthday quote in her card, though. I wrote that "Fifty is the youth of old age." She appreciated that.
(Photo from EveGiggles via morguefile.com)
30th Birthday Quotes
- "Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed." - Charles Schulz
Use this birthday quote to rub it in. This 30th birthday quote comes from the cartoonist Charles Schulz. He made the "Peanuts" comic strip, which was famous for his wry, yet hopeful humor.
- "Everything I know, I learned after I was thirty." - Georges Clemenceau
See? You've not even begun to know anything yet at all. Well said by Clemenceau, who must
have said it way, way after his 30th birthday, as a much older man.
- "30 is the new 20, unless your 20, then it's the new 40." - Dane Peddigrew
Birthdays invite all kinds of strange birthday math and convoluted logic. Did you think your 30th birthday would never arrive when you were twenty? Most people think that way.
- "At the age of twenty, we don't care what the world thinks of us; at thirty, we worry about what it is thinking of us; at forty, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all." -John M. Eades
I guess the 30th birthday kid is still worrying about what the world thinks. Just take note of what obscurity you have to look forward to. Of course, forty is a long way off, right?
- "The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits." - Hervey Allen
Thank goodness you have your wits about you for now, and you can start to live fully. Just keep in mind that a time is approaching when you'll lose them again. Do the makers of these 30th birthday quotes really think thirty is middle-aged?
40th Birthday Quotes
- "Life begins at forty." - W. B. Pitkin
This one's a classic. We've all heard it, and when we're turning 40, we hope it's really true.
- "We don't understand life any better at forty than at twenty, but we know it and admit it." -Jules Renard
I guess this is saying that we're old enough to know what it is we don't know.
- Forty isn't old, if you're a tree - Anonymous, on Turning 40
Hardy, har, har, har.
- "To me, old age is always fifteen years older than I am." - Bernard M. Baruch
Remember this smart policy, and just keep using it.
- "If you want to look young and thin, hang around old fat people." -Jim Eason
Now this is a very smart idea. I like it.
50th Birthday Quotes
- "Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age." - Old French Proverb
I think this one makes a lot of sense. You are entering your second youth. That sounds OK, right?
- No wise man ever wished to be younger. - Jonathan Swift
I guess this means that most of us have been temporarily unwise. Whenever I wish I was younger, it's always with the caveat that I would know then what I know now.
- If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older. - Abraham Sutzkever
At fifty, it's more important than ever to keep our playfulness, fun, and youth at heart.
- "Middle age is when a guy keeps turning off lights for economical rather than romantic reasons." -Eli Cass
Just being energy efficient, I suppose, in more ways than one.
- "And it’s true that I turn 50 tomorrow, which means that by the time I wake up, I’ll have an email from AARP, asking me to call President Obama and tell him to protect Medicare." - President Barack Obama
Even the president will get one of those awful mailings that remind you you're fifty. Yikes.
50th Birthday Gift Idea
Get this book for a thoughtful person who's on the verge of five decades of life.
60th Birthday Quotes
- "Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." -Jack Benny
This one is from the perpetually 39 year old comedian.
- "You can only perceive real beauty in a person as they get older." - Anouk Aimee
I guess it's sort of like being the velveteen rabbit.
- "I have everything now I had twenty years ago except now it's all lower." -Gypsy Rose Lee
There you go!
- "We grow too soon old and too late smart." - Pennsylvania Dutch proverb
Oh, the irony of the human condition!
- "We are always the same age inside." - Gertrude Stein
We are still the same old us, only a little wiser, hopefully.
70th Birthday Quotes
- "It's an advantage up here for older folks because in zero-G you can move around much more easily." - John Glenn
John Glenn went up in space as the first astronaut in his or seventies! He was 77 at the time, in 1998. that was 36 years after he became the first American to orbit the earth.
- "Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words." -Titus Maccius Plautus
What a great idea! It is truly cause to celebrate a rich life for a brand new septuagenarian.
- "At fifteen, my mind was bent on learning.
At thirty, I stood firm.
At forty, I had no doubts.
At fifty, I knew the decrees of Heaven.
At sixty, my ear was receptive to truth.
At seventy, I could follow my heart's desires without sin."
-Confucius, Analects II.iv
Go ahead. Follow your heart's desires! you're probably old enough to know what they are.
- "Inflation is when you pay fifteen dollars for the ten-dollar haircut you used to get for five dollars when you had hair." -Sam Ewing
- "If you want to be happy, be." -- Henry David Thoreau
We have everything we need within us.
80th Birthday Quotes
- Men are like wine. Some turn to vinegar, but the best improve with age. - Cyril Edwin Mitchinson Joad
This is just so true. The acidity level can be controlled with attitude.
- "With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come." - William Shakespeare
Acceptance and finding joy are key.
- "The spiritual eyesight improves as the physical eyesight declines." - Plato
Good thing we have glasses.
- "Birthdays are good for you; the more you have the longer you live!" - Unknown
Let us rejoice in yet another healthful birthday to celebrate!
- "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus
Embrace your inner summer! Seize the day.
Gift Ideas for 80's, 90's. and 100's...
- Great Gifts for Senior Citizens, by Gottaloveit (One who knows!)
Go here to find some excellent, fun and appropriate gift ideas from my buddy, Gottaloveit.
90th Birthday Quotes
- "You know you are getting old when the candles cost more than the cake." -Bob Hope
Ha, ha! But you are so worth it!
- "The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune." - English Proverb
You get better and better.
- "Happiness is good health and a bad memory." - Ingrid Bergman
May your health be good!
- "Youth is the gift of nature, but age is the work of art." - Garson Kanin
You should be framed!
- "It's sad to grow old, but nice to ripen." - Brigitte Bardot
There's beauty at every stage.
100th Birthday Quotes
- "Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again." -Menachem Mendel Schneerson
The energy changes, but it's still there. Birthday blessings to you!
- "I am long on ideas, but short on time. I expect to live to be only about a hundred." - Thomas Alva Edison
Never enough time, is there?
- "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
May you have lived well, and continue to do so.
- “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience” - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
- “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
Milestone Birthday- Congratulations!
"Over the Hill" Birthday Party Theme - Cool or cruel?
I've attended milestone birthday parties that made jest of getting older. They used an "over the hill" birthday party theme, complete with black balloons, mock tombstones, and gag gifts, like Preparation H and a jar of blue jelly beans to represent viagra. So, the question is: Are "over the hill" birthday parties cool, or are they cruel?
Tell me what you think here.
What do you think of an "over the hill" theme with black balloons and getting-old-gag-gifts for a milestone birthday?
Way Fun Happy Birthday Animation
Please Add Your Comments About Milestone Birthday Quotes
Joan Haines (author) on June 09, 2014:
@asereht1970: Birthdays deserve some good quotes for a new age. Thanks.
asereht1970 from Philippines on June 05, 2014:
Nice lens, love the quotes. Thanks for sharing.
Joan Haines (author) on May 20, 2014:
@sarasentor lm: Thank you.
Joan Haines (author) on May 20, 2014:
@Coffee-Break: Thank you!
Dorian Bodnariuc from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on October 30, 2012:
I love the quotes, and the gift ideas. Great lens.
anonymous on October 16, 2012:
very cute lens, I like it :)
hntrssthmpsn on September 27, 2012:
I've always loved that Lincoln quote about the "life in your years"! It's nice to be able to offer something more eloquent, even if I'm using someone else's words, than "Happy Birthday" (after all, I didn't come up with that phrase, either!)
TwistedWiseman on August 03, 2012:
Some of them are really wise and poetic, I like the one "At the age of twenty, we don't care what the world thinks of us; at thirty, we worry about what it is thinking of us; at forty, we discover that it wasn't thinking of us at all." -John M. Eades
That one is so true!
sarasentor lm on July 18, 2012:
Birthday quotes depend upon the age of person and i like your lens because you also describe it according to the age.
Susan Deppner from Arkansas USA on June 24, 2012:
Love having these quote all in one place like this! Thanks for all your hard work on this page.
anonymous on June 22, 2012:
My 68th is just a couple of weeks away. Thanks very much for making me feel a lot better about it.
Joan Haines (author) on June 11, 2012:
@kislanyk: Thank you. This year it's not a milestone for me, though.
Joan Haines (author) on June 11, 2012:
@CCGAL: Cool beans! Best wishes to all of those birthday "kids!"
CCGAL on June 11, 2012:
These are some great quotes - I've got 3 family members hitting milestones this year - 30, 50, and 70 ... I'm going to be referring back to this page often, I suspect.
Marika from Cyprus on June 11, 2012:
Happy Birthday :)
Peggy Hazelwood from Desert Southwest, U.S.A. on May 26, 2012:
This is a great launching place for milestone birthday celebrations.
wilfredpadilla on March 10, 2012:
I really like this lens!
anonymous on February 22, 2012:
Enjoyed this creative article of yours ... *blessed*
JoshK47 on January 25, 2012:
Fantastic collection of quotes - I'm starting to approach those 30's way too quickly, but it's starting to seem less and less old as I get there. Blessed by a SquidAngel!
writerkath on January 21, 2012:
Thought provoking as well as fun! :)
goo2eyes lm on January 13, 2012:
i wish to be healthy at all times and reach that stage when i could say that i spent a good life.
CruiseReady from East Central Florida on January 12, 2012:
My next milestone will be 70!
KimGiancaterino on January 10, 2012:
This is perfect timing, as I'm mailing out a gift today for someone with a milestone birthday. You've given me some great ideas.
Nancy Carol Brown Hardin from Las Vegas, NV on November 08, 2011:
This was a fun read...and gets you to thinking. I also love the quotes, and I think you did an excellent job in grouping them as you did. If I make it to 100, I'll come back and answer the last question. Blessed.
Joan Haines (author) on September 16, 2011:
@grannysage: I had fun selecting the quotes and commenting on each. Glad you liked it!
grannysage on September 16, 2011:
This is a very interesting and interactive lens. I was expecting a list of quotes which would have been nice but you added the extra touch by grouping them together and asking for reader feedback. It was a lot of fun.
gracesdaughter on September 12, 2011:
Awesome lens. Love the way you put together the quotes with the gift ideas and made a place for comments in each of the sections. Cool creativity. Look forward to seeing lots more lenses from you ;-)
Toni Grundstrom from Minneapolis, MN on September 04, 2011:
Great idea to put quotes for milestone birthdays in one place.
WorldVisionary3 on September 02, 2011:
Nice lens! Thumbs up.
kimark421 on August 31, 2011:
Great lens! I enjoyed the quotes, and others' comments as well. That's what it's all about.
Brandi from Maryland on August 27, 2011:
What a fun lens! Congrats on your "You've Got Potential" trophy! I was also a recipient for my Healthy Homemade Granola Bars lens and I just wanted to stop by and check out other featured lensmasters! :)
dahlia369 on August 27, 2011:
Well done interactive lens. Blessed! :)
Sandy Mertens from Frozen Tundra on August 27, 2011:
Great selection of quotes.
Patricia on August 27, 2011:
Love your birthday quotes lens! These are great! Blessed by an angel!
ebaybee on August 26, 2011:
Ellen Gregory from Connecticut, USA on August 26, 2011:
I love this. What a great idea and a great lens
Renaissance Woman from Colorado on August 26, 2011:
One of my favorite quotes is this: "Look to this day, for it is life, the very life of life." ~Kalidasa
Let us celebrate each moment of life. Age is just a number. It is the spirit that matters most. Each moment is a true gift, so let us not take for granted the beauty of right now, and our opportunity to become more and more beautiful with time.
Mary Beth Granger from O'Fallon, Missouri, USA on August 23, 2011:
Love this lens. I certainly will come back to it when I need quotes for milestone birthdays. blessed
JennySui on August 22, 2011:
This is a fantastic hub. I love these birthday quotes.
Barbara Radisavljevic from Templeton, CA on August 20, 2011:
What a fun lens! It gets one thinking about one's milestones and how many one might reach.
anonymous on August 19, 2011:
Nicely done with so much fun and plenty of food for thought!
Toni Grundstrom from Minneapolis, MN on August 17, 2011:
I love quotes. They are insightful and add a lot when writing, creating Zazzle products and designing greeting cards. Thanks for pulling together these birthday quotes.
capturedbykc on August 17, 2011:
I loved all of your quotations! Many of them are funny and would go perfectly on homemade birthday cards :) Great lens! It was lots of fun reading.
Ann Hinds from So Cal on August 17, 2011:
For my 40th birthday, my mother gave me the mug that proudly says, 40 isn't old if you're a tree. It still hangs in my kitchen. At 60 something I have to go with "We are always the same age inside." - Gertrude Stein - It is so true! Great lens, Angel blessed, which means someone liked it enough to give it a tiny rank boost.
Peggy Hazelwood from Desert Southwest, U.S.A. on August 17, 2011:
You've made a nice lens here with quite the assortment of great birthday quotes! Love it!!
Joan Haines (author) on August 17, 2011:
@CCGAL: These are fantastic ideas, CCGAL!
Gayle from McLaughlin on August 17, 2011:
Love your quotations!
Heather Burns from Wexford, Ireland on August 17, 2011:
I love quotes, so this was a really fun lens for me.
CCGAL on August 17, 2011:
A delightful lens, all the way around. I had a relative live to be 100 years and 6 months, and while it sounds good to live that long, if you live that long but lack health, it's just a sad situation, I think. Not that I'm in any hurry to let go and see what's on the other side, mind you, I just want to be healthy and able to self care for as long as humanly possible.
When my son turned 30, I gave him a novelty coffee mug with 3 handles that said "You're 30. Get a Grip!" and he thought that was pretty cool.
When my cousin turned 50, I threw a sock hop for her. I made a real cake big enough to hold 50 candles, but also made a fake cake with big white candles and a fake "fire permit" ... and everybody took turns lighting the candles and saying something about what she meant to them ... then, when all were lit, I handed her a fire extinguisher with a bow so she could put them out. Ah, memories - this lens certainly invoked them for me. Nice, nice work.
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on August 17, 2011:
Lots of people will be looking for quotations like these for special birthdays. I see some fun ones on zazzle products like these. Great idea.
gottaloveit2 on August 16, 2011:
Very well done and fun reading lens. Mom is about to be 95 in October. I needed these quotes.