Halloween and all the mystery that surrounds it make this October holiday the perfect ground for rumors and superstitions. I am sure there are hundreds of folk lore, myths, and superstitions inspired by the scary and supernatural feelings some folks have about Halloween.
Here are 13 Halloween Superstitions Trivia questions, along with the answers, for you, your family, and your Halloween guests to play with. Let's see who knows what about Halloween! I thought 13 was an appropriate number of questions to keep in line with the superstitious theme of this holiday quiz.
1. Don't look behind you if you hear _________. It might be the dead following you.
2. It is said that girls should go into a field and scatter ____ ____. They should chant, "____ ____ I sow thee Come after me and show me." When each girl spins around quickly, she will see a vision of the man who will be her husband.
3. If a ___ flies into a house, it is a sign that ghosts are about, and the ghost has let the ___ into the house.
4. It is a death omen if a ___ flies around a house three times.
5. On Halloween, friends should peel apples from top to bottom. The person with the longest unbroken peel will have the longest life, and if you throw the apple peel over your shoulder, the initial it forms when it lands is the initial of your ______ ____.
6. When bobbing for apples, the first person to bite an apple will be the first to _____.
7. Go to a _________ on Halloween and listen to the wind. The wind will tell you all the most important things that will happen to you during the next 12 months.
8. A baby that is born on _________ will always be able to see and talk to spirits.
9. Bury animal bones or a picture of an animal near your doorway to prevent ______ from coming into the house on Halloween.
10. At Halloween, according to British legend, nuts are used as magic charms because some people believe that the _____ was a nut-gatherer.
11. Knocking on ____ on Halloween keeps bad luck away.
12. It's the spirit of a dead loved one who is watching you if you see a ______ on Halloween.
13. If you ring a ____ on Halloween, it will scare evil spirits away.
Halloween Trivia Answers
- Hemp Seed
- Future Mate
I know I said there were 13 Halloween superstitions trivia questions and answers on this page. I loved using the number 13 since there is a superstition about it. I just couldn't stop without adding more onto this fun subject. Whether you are looking to play a trivia game on Halloween or just looking for fun Halloween facts, you will find plenty more superstitions on this page!
More Halloween Superstitions Trivia Quiz Questions
- _____ cats are considered bad luck and were thought to be the familiars of witches. Familiars were said to be given to a witch by Satan.
- ______________ was also hailed as "Devil's Night" by ancient Celts. The Celts would light bonfires and smash up Jack O' Lanterns to celebrate this mischievous night.
- If a soul is trapped in _________ it will be set free for 48 hours on All Hallows Eve.
- On Halloween night, at midnight, it's said to burn an _____ candle for good luck.
- You will know a spirit is near by if a candle flame goes out by itself or turns ____.
- It's bad luck to hunt on Halloween - you might just hurt a ______.
- If you must travel on Halloween be sure to carry a piece of _____ crossed with ____ in your pocket!
- In America a _____ cat that crosses your path is considered good luck. In Japan a _____ cat that crosses your path is considered good luck.
- Some Halloween traditions and superstitions go back to a time over 2000 years ago when this time was called ________.
- If you just might see a _____ if, on Halloween at midnight, you wear your clothes inside out and walk backwards.
Answers To Trivia Questions Above
- Black cats are considered bad luck - but they really are not!
- All Hallow's Eve is the also known as Devil's Night.
- If a soul is trapped in Purgatory it will be set free on All Hallow's Eve.
- Burning an orange candle at midnight on Halloween is considered good luck.
- The flame will be blue if a candle is lit and a spirit is near.
- It's bad luck to hunt on Halloween because you might hurt a spirit.
- Carry bread and salt in your pocket if you must travel on Halloween.
- In America a white cat crossing your path is considered good luck. In Japan a black cat crossing your path is considered good luck.
- Halloween was originally called Samhain.
- If you see a witch on Halloween put your clothes on inside out and walk backwards.
Halloween Trivia Questions Part 3
- What is the name of the phobia that means someone has a terrible fear of Halloween? Samhainophobia.
- What is the night before Halloween called by some people in New England? Cabbage Night.
- What does the word hallow mean? Holy.
- What vegetable was originally used to make Jack-O-Lanterns? Turnips.
- Why do people wear masks on Halloween? To frighten away evil spirits.
- What is the most played Halloween song? Thriller.
- What is Mischief Night, the night before Halloween, called in Des Moines, Iowa? Beggars Night.
- Are The Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos) and Halloween the same holiday? No, they are celebrated on the same day.
- What famous illusionist died on Halloween? Harry Houdini in 1926.
Halloween Trivia Answers Part 3
- If you have a phobia of Halloween you have Samhainophobia.
- In New England the night before Halloween is sometimes called Cabbage Night.
- Hallow means holy.
- The turnip was used before the pumpkin to make a Jack-O-Lantern.
- Masks are worn to frighten away evil spirits.
- The most played song during Halloween season is Thriller.
- In Des Moines, Iowa Mischief Night is called Beggars Night.
- No, these two holidays are celebrated on the same day but are not the same holiday.
- Harry Houdini died on Halloween in 1926.