Brittany is a self-published poet, poetry blogger, and aspiring children's book author who enjoys participating in poetry challenges.
The Reason for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a holiday where family members get together to enjoy an autumn feast in America. This is done every year in celebration of the Plymouth colonists and the Wampanoag sharing the first ever Thanksgiving feast. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonists and the states. In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November. The dinner will typically consist of a full-sized oven roasted turkey, stuffing, yams, dinner rolls, a vegetable, and pumpkin pie. Southern folk usually make casseroles, homemade macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, pecan pie, and the famous southern sweet tea. My personal go-to Thanksgiving food tradition is doubled eggs for breakfast, a tender and juicy turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon bits, my husband's homemade macaroni and cheese, dinner rolls, and pumpkin pie. The beauty of living in today's time is everyone can make whatever they want! Many people express what they are grateful for before digging into their meal. Some people even express what they are grateful for online by posting one thing per day what they are thankful for each day in the month of November. Thanksgiving has become a favorite holiday in our household. The only priority is to eat, drink, and be merry!
Acrostic Thanksgiving Poem
Below, you will find an acrostic poem written by myself on what thanksgiving means to me.
Thankful for food, family, and friends
Having a simple life means more in the end
Always remembering how far we've come along
Never missing a beat to our family song
Kindness molds the gentle heart
Sharing a feast without standing apart
Giving what we can with care
I'll start the humble voice of prayer
Vigilantly keeping an eye on the stove
Inching forward to pull out the bread loaves
Napping on our sectional couch
Grabbing the remote and engaging in a slouch
The Many Reasons to be Thankful
Below, you will find many reasons why each individual should be thankful everyday of his/her life.
- The gift of life. Many people take this simple gift for granted. There are many sick people who may not live to see another day who would love to be in our shoes. Being able to breathe in fresh air and live our lives as we choose is a wonderful gift.
- Family and friends. There are people who are not blessed with being close to their own flesh and blood and spend many holidays alone. Always cherish an established relationship with any family member. Friends can also be considered family and help make the heart grow fonder.
- Books. In a world where technology is a requirement for everything, I'm always grateful I can get lost in a paperback book. I feel like we rely on technology and social media for everything. Having an entertainment source that does not require an outlet or battery is extremely comforting. I will never think I will own enough.
- Sunrises and sunsets. The simple beauty of color in the sky will always put me in awe. Whether one is religious or atheist, it is difficult not to get lost in natural sights.
- Music. There is something special about a song that speaks to your soul. Music is the biggest source of connection to finding one's self and basic entertainment. I don't think I could imagine a wold without beautiful tunes.
- Pets. Unless you are allergic, a fury friend is the greatest companion. Dogs, and even cats, are loyal creatures if you bond with them from an early age. Pets are what make a home and a family.
- Diversity. It is important to remember having differences make us special, and even more important to respect those differences. Everyone can offer something that the other person may not have. Besides, living in a world where people are one hundred percent the same would be awfully boring.
- Freedom. Freedom of anything is a valuable luxury. If you're lucky enough to have freedom of speech, count your blessings and use your tongue wisely.
- Love. Love comes in many ways through various types of relationships. Love is what makes life worth living, and it's important to not let hate creep into our hearts so we can live our best lives.
- Food and shelter. The basics to survival are not given to everyone. If you have a roof over your head and food to eat, you are considered one of the lucky ones.
A Poem by Emily Dickinson
Below, you will find a poem on thanksgiving by the famous Emily Dickinson.
God Gave a Leaf to Every Bird
God gave a leaf to every bird
But just a crumb to me
I dare not eat it tho I starve
My poignant luxury
To own it--touch it
Prove the feat--that made the pellet mine
Too happy--for my sparrows chance
For ampler Coveting
It might be Famine--all around--
I could not miss an Ear
Such plenty smiles upon my board
My garner shows so fair
I wonder how the rich may feel
An Indiaman--An Earl--
I deem that I--with but a crumb--
Am Sovereign of them all