Bodylevive is a retired entrepreneur, that wishes to share life experiences and the designer of the online store, Zazzle/Tugarmaes.
Mary, mother of Jesus, stature
The mother of the child from God, Mary
Mary was an ordinary virgin, Jewish girl engaged to Joseph, a just and righteous man according to Matthew. Before they were married, Mary had a visitation from the angel Gabriel. He spoke to Mary telling her that God had found favor in her and she would have a son and his name was to be Jesus, Son of the Highest.
Mary was puzzled because she knew she had been with no man so how could she get pregnant? The angel explained to her that nothing is impossible with God and that the Holy Ghost would come upon her and that the power of the most Highest shall overshadow her and therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of her shall be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35
Where was Jesus born?
Why do some celebrate Christmas, December 25th? It is said a Savior was born on this date about 2,000 plus years ago! The reason for the season is this divine birth of a virgin girl named Mary. This date is thought to be Christ's birthday but no one knows the exact date that Jesus was born, the bible does not give a specific date. For the most part, it does not matter what day He was born on. What's more important is why He was born.
When the Wise Men came searching for Him from the East, they brought gifts. Included in those gifts the bible tells us it was gold, frankincense and myrrh. I believe that the reason we give gifts at this time of the year is due to the Wise Men brought gifts to the baby Jesus. There is no evidence of this, just my personal thoughts. It has been said that there were three men but I found no supporting evidence other than there were three gifts given.
Who were the Wise Men or the Magi?
The Magi, were astrologers and they were the ones who gave gifts to the Lord, Jesus Christ. A name follows to each of their descriptions:
- Melchior, an old man with white hair and a long beard, who offered gold to the Lord as to a king.
- Gaspar, young and beardless and ruddy complexioned, honored Him as God by his gift of incense, an oblation worthy of divinity.
- Balthasar, black-skinned and heavily bearded, by his gift of myrrh testified to the Son of Man who was to die.
The three wise men met at Sewa (Sebaste in Armenia) in 54 (AD) to celebrate the feast of Christmas. After the celebration of Mass, they died: St. Melchior on 1st of January, aged 116; St. Balthasar on 6th of January, aged 112; and St. Gaspar on 11th of January, aged 109.” The Roman martyrology also lists these dates as the Magi’s feast days. The 12 days of Christmas ends on 6 January with the Feast of Epiphany also called “The Adoration of the Magi” or the day of the Three Kings.
Gifts of the Wise Men
What is the Meaning of the Three Gifts?
- Gold is associated with royalty and was a gift given to kings around the time of Christ's birth. The wise men's first gift of gold symbolized Jesus' role as the King of Kings. Jesus' family may have used the gift of gold in their flight to Egypt and after leaving that region to return home.
- Frankincense. Frankincense was a type of incense burned as a sacrifice and used by priests during services of worship around the time of Christ's birth.The wise men's gift of frankincense symbolized Jesus' priesthood. Jesus' family may have used the gift of frankincense for practical purposes, such as during prayer, or given some to the temple priests as a sacrifice.
- The Jews used myrrh as an embalming ointment when preparing bodies for burial. The wise men's gift of myrrh prophetically signified that Jesus was born to suffer and die, while also symbolizing his burial. The gift of myrrh also had a practical use, as Mary, Jesus' mother, may have used the myrrh for both Joseph's and Jesus' burials.
Gifts of the Wise Men
Born in Bethlehem of Judaea
Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east and are come to worship him.
— Bible KJV Matthew 2:1-2
Herod, The King of Jerusalem
Herod, the king of Jerusalem heard of the baby king's birth and when the wise men came asking about the King of the Jews, Herod got in an uproar. He inquired from the wise men the location of the baby king and when the star first appeared. Herod had a hidden motive as he sent the wise men off to Bethlehem to search for the child. He told them that he wanted to worship the child too when in fact he wanted to destroy the child.
The wise men found the baby Jesus, worshiped him and presented him with gifts. They were warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod so they found another way to depart to their own country. Herod was still trying to find Jesus to destroy him and was out done and furious when he found out the Magi had betrayed him! The Lord is always steps ahead and had showed Joseph in a dream to take his wife and baby and go to Egypt.
Mocked of the wise men
Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding worth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.
— Matthew 2:16
Who was Matthew?
For sometime I have read of a discrepancy about which book was first, Matthew or Mark. I have to go with the order it's placed in the bible.These are four gospels:
Matthew was also called Levi and he was one of the twelve disciples of Jesus, he also authored the book of Matthew. Before he became a disciple of Christ, he was a Roman tax collector. Not very much liked for due to the dishonesty involved, requiring more tax from the people that was actually owed. Being a tax collector, he also had to be a record keeper and an accountant.
Matthew had riches and lived a comfortable lifestyle but one day Jesus came by and gave him an invitation he couldn't refuse. He left all that he had to follow Jesus. Matthew was one of the witnesses of the Resurrection,The Upper Room experience and the Ascension of Jesus Christ.He preached the Gospel to the Jews and many other nations.
© 2021 BODYLEVIVE