How to Plan A Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Theme
Little girls just love to imitate the beautiful, sparkling princesses they see on the TV – and the popularity of the new TV show Shimmer and Shine is certainly testament to that fact!
Shimmer and Shine is a Nickelodeon show about a young girl named Leah, who is helped every day by her two fraternal twin genies, Shimmer and Shine. They can grant three wishes every day – so you can imagine the fun (and trouble) the three get into!
This show is brand new, with the first episode airing in August 2015 – so finding Shimmer and Shine birthday party ideas and supplies to match is not the easiest of tasks. If you’re thinking of throwing a genie-inspired party for your little ones, check out some of the fantastic ideas we’ve come up with to make the day special and memorable for all.
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Invitations and Ideas
Naturally, the first thing you’ll be thinking about is sending invitations to your guests. These invitations will be the first your guest sees or hears about the party – so it has to blow them away and make them excited about attending!
Make your event appear incredibly glamorous by sending ‘glamor passes’ instead of invitations! These sweet invitations contain all the information your guests need to get to the party on the right day at the right time, and they’re sure to make little princesses (or genies) feel incredibly special.
If you’re a little short on time, the internet will be your best friend! There are plenty of printable options or invitations that you can order to be delivered to your house. This site has an adorable Shimmer and Shine invitation which can be customized online, then a PDF is sent directly to your inbox for you to download and print as many copies as you like – great for parents that are a little pushed for time or money!
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Decorations and Ideas
The main colors used in Shimmer and Shine are deep purple, magenta pink, soft teal and electric blue. Splashes of gold add layers of luxury for the perfect finishing touch! This color palette is incredibly rich and indulgent, and will make your little ones feel like the princesses they are!
With a simple color scheme, it’s easy to find party supplies to fit. Choose a deep purple or pink tablecloth, use teal cups and blue plates, and add these disposable gold forks – they’ll make your guests feel like they’re sitting down for a royal luncheon!
Draped materials help to set the scene even further – colored voile is cheap and easy to find online, and the effect will be show-stopping! Plain walls can easily be covered with some tacks and layers of decadent voile, which will really enhance the Shimmer and Shine atmosphere perfectly. You could also move all of your chairs into another room and lay silky cushions on the floor instead – genies don’t sit in armchairs, you see! They glide around on flying carpets or they sit cross-legged on the floor.
Jewels are also an important part of your décor – you can pick up a pack of sticky-back jewels at any decent craft store. Add them to your disposable cups, stick them around the edges of your table and decorate your balloons with them for a touch of eastern glamor!
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Cake Decorations and Ideas
The cake plays an important role in any birthday party – it’s integral in that special moment when the lights go down and the cake is brought out with candles lit. Everyone sings Happy Birthday, the birthday girl (or boy) blows out the candles, makes a wish, and cameras snap away for the next few minutes. These images will be the main thing most people remember from a party – so it’s crucial to get it right!
Creating the perfect Shimmer and Shine cake for your birthday party all depends on the funds available and how much time you have to spare. Luckily, there are plenty of options if you’re short on either!
If you have plenty of funds to spare but not much time, head to a professional – they can create you a stunning Shimmer and Shine cake along these lines. The color scheme is so beautifully decadent and the decorations on this piece are incredible – it would almost be a shame to cut into it!
If you’re short on funds and would prefer to use your time to make a hand-crafted cake for your little ones, this flying carpet cake offers great inspiration and isn’t too difficult to make. The rectangular shape is simple, there are no extravagant layers or tiers – just a simple sponge cake decorated with some intricate frosting.
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Food and Drink Ideas
The food and drink on offer can make or break a party. If you don’t offer a comprehensive spread with lots of options, children can become hungry and grumpy, and that’s the last thing anyone wants! Luckily there’s plenty of inspiration online to help ensure you put on the perfect buffet for your genie guests:
- Fruit Skewers – genies are always associated with Middle Eastern foods, but for a fresh take on the traditional kabob, switch out meat and vegetables for tasty fruits like grapes, strawberries and slices of banana! This will offer a healthy snack for children who are overloading on sugar!
- Genie Cake Pops – these adorable cake pops fit the theme perfectly – the color scheme is just right, and the golden lamps are a great finishing touch. After all, that’s where genies traditionally come from, right?
- Colorful Candy Apples – in-keeping with your color scheme, these colorful candy apples are the perfect addition to any Shimmer and Shine buffet table. The bright coating is sure to catch the eyes of all the little ones that pass that table, and the apple center means they’re not just consuming endless amounts of junk food at the party.
- Macarons – these delicate colored macarons also look fabulous when nestled into a serving bowl like this – you could even carefully arrange some beads and jewels around them to make them look like a decadent treasure!
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Favors and Ideas
It’s a tradition nowadays at a party for the host to offer their guests a little gift to say thank-you for coming. These are called favors, and there’s plenty of ways in which you can impress your guests and show your appreciation for them making the effort to attend.
Most children’s toy shops have selections of jewelry like these colorful beads – place these in a bowl at the door and ask little ones to take one as they leave. They can string them around their head, use them as bracelets, necklaces or even just a decoration for their room when they get home!
Every good genie needs a genie bottle – if you have a little money to spare and you want to treat your guests, these stunning perfume bottles look like they could contain a genie and they’re really a show-stopping gift for those who have made the party special.
Shimmer and Shine Birthday Party Games and Activities
What’s a good party without some serious entertainment? If you’re stuck for ideas on how to ensure your little ones have fun, look no further…
- Magic Carpet Crafting – set up a craft station with plenty of felt, glue and scissors. Helping your guests to create their own magic carpet is really simple – cut out a rectangular base, let them add whatever decorations they want, help them make some tassels out of string, and you’re done!
- Genie Says – a fun take on the classic ‘Simon Says’. One person plays the Genie, and must preface all their commands with ‘Genie says…’. Occasionally, they can leave out the ‘Genie says’ and catch the other players out!
- Musical Carpets – set up four carpet stations around the room (these can be squares of material, rugs, towels – anything you have lying around). Ask your guests to run around, dance and move around the space until the music stops, when they must immediately sit down on one of the carpets. The last one to find a space is out! Mix things up a little by folding one of the carpets in half after a few rounds, or removing one of them altogether!
Are you feeling inspired to host your very own Shimmer and Shine birthday party now? We hope we’ve given you enough resources and ideas to go off and plan a spectacular genie party for your little ones. Think we’ve missed anything? Want to share your ideas? We’d love to hear your thoughts – comment in the box below!
Let us know you stopped by!
Christiane on May 06, 2016:
Hi Marian, did you find Shimmer & Shine party theme?
I've been looking for too and cannot find them.
If Yes, please, let me know.
Marian Flynn on February 14, 2016:
I trying to find shimmer & shine party theme where the heck do I go Please I live in the houston terxas region.Please