I love holidays and trivia. Much of my writing combines these two passions.
Pizza Party Day Is May 20th
We know what a pizza party is, it's when several or more people get together and eat pizza. It can be for any reason, including just because you want to celebrate May 20th, Pizza Party Day! You can simply order a few pies from the pizzeria near you, or you can make your own pizzas. Heck, you can even let your guests make their own pizzas.
You can make the crusts and set out toppings and let your friends build their own pizza.
Make your pizza or buy it, just make sure you celebrate on May 20th, and you will have started your own yearly tradition. It's fun to celebrate for any reason, and if you love pizza like I do, this could be one of your favorite new holidays of the year.
The history of the pizza pie is a confusing one since I've read several different versions. Some say pizza was orginated in Greece, others say Italy. It started with flat bread like focaccia, called panis focacius. Someone added some toppings to it and Voila! the pizza was born.
Of course, how to make these basic bread crusts has evolved through the years until we have the culinary delight that pizza is today. We top it with everything and anything. There are eateries that supply only pizzas and there are a lot of them.
How To Celebrate Pizza Party Day
The first ideas that comes to mind are:
- Have A Pizza Party!!
- Host a pizza eating contest.
- Play pizza themed games - see the list below!
- Have a put together a pizza pie contest.
- Buy a friend a pizza.
- Make a pizza cake!
- Wear a pizza shirt.
If You Plan National Pizza Day In Advance You Can
Some holidays are celebrated on a spur of the moment whim, others are planned. If you are planning a National Pizza Day celebration here are some things you can get in advance for them:
- Pizza decorated plates and cups
- Make a printed pizza favor box - go to Make And Tell
- Pizza balloons and decorations
- Pizza nail decals - check Amazon
- Pizza cupcakes
- Pizza temporary tattoos
Kinds Of Pizza
Here's a list of the most popular and well-known kind of pizza pie and maybe a few that will be new to you.
- California Pizza
- Cauliflower Crust
- Chicago Pizza
- Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
- Detroit Style Pizza
- Garlic Fingers Pie
- Grandma Pie
- Grilled Pizza - I make this with Naan Bread
- Meat Pie
- Pizza e fichi
- Pizza fritta Neapolitan fried pizza
- Pizza rustica or pizzagaina
- Pugliese Pizza
- Quattro Stagioni PIzza
- Stuffed Pizza
Here are some foods that are almost pizza, but not quite.
- Tarte flambée
Best Appetizers For A Pizza Party
To a pizza lover, the pizza is the before, during, and after of the meal. You don't need appetizers when you are serving a complete dish like this. But if you are one of those hostesses or hosts that needs to have more food than your guests can eat, like me, here are some appetizer ideas:
- A salad
- Mozzarella and roasted peppers
- Mozzarella sticks
- Dough knots
- Garlic bread
- Chicken wings
Fun Pizza Facts
I bet you did not know some of these fun facts about pizza, I know I did not!
1. Pizza was first made in Greece, not Italy like most of us would think.
2. Queen Margharita had a chef make her a pizza in 1889. He put Mozzarella, fresh basil, and some tomatoes on it. This is called a Margharita pizza today.
3. Pizza is pie in Italian.
4. October is National Pizza Month. (That's every month at my house!)
(Homemade ) Pizza Dough Recipe
Pizza dough is quick and simple to make. You will need:
- warm water
- fine seasalt
- active dry yeast
- flour all-purpose
Thanks to Natasha's Kitchen for the video tutorial below.
Natasha's Kitchen Pizza Dough Tutorial
Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe
I made a face when I first heard about Cauliflower pizza but then I tried it and I have to say, I like it. It's a nice base for the sauce and cheese. It's crispier than dough and I do really like that. Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you don't like it, but I am kind of betting that you do!
How To Make A Healthy Cauliflower PIzza Crust
What To Put On Your Pizza
The real question should be what not to put on your pizza. People put every imaginable extra on pizzas. Take, for example, Hawaiian Pizza... come on, Pineapple on pizza? Some folks swear by it! Here's a short list of my pie topping suggestions:
- Cheese - any and all kinds of cheese
- Meat - Chicken, Ham, Sausage, Bacon, Meatball, Prosciutto
- Veggies - Broccoli, Tomato, Pepper, Mushroom, Artichoke, Avocado, Onion, Olives, Spinach, Pepper
Game Ideas For A Pizza Party
If your gathering is a spur of the moment idea chances are you won't be playing games other than a game of cards. But if you know ahead of time that you are having guests over to enjoy some pizza here are some easy and fun games you might enjoy:
- Assemble the pizza box game - get some extra unmade boxes from the pizzeria and see who can assemble one the quickest!
- Make your own personal pizza - let each guest make their own pizza with toppings you have put out.
- Make a dessert pizza - YUM! Check out the recipe below.
How To Make A Dessert Pizza With Nutella
To Make A Dessert Pizza You Will Need
You will need a pizza crust, a potato, some Nutella, and some sliced bananas. Yes, I said a potato but this isn't to add onto the dessert. It's to weigh down the middle of the pizza crust when you bake it. Check the video and you will see what I mean.
If you love Nutella you're in for a sweet treat with this easy and yummy dessert recipe.
Reasons To Have A Pizza Party?
Do you need a reason to have a pizza party? I don't. I think anyone can have a pizza party for any reason, even if it's not May 20th. Here are some reason's I've had pizza parties in the past:
- I didn't feel like cooking and friend were over.
- I just didn't feel like cooking and no one is here ... lol.
- It's Tuesday.
- The baby was fussy.
- You quit your job.
- You got a job.
- You are going on vacation tomorrow.
- Just because.
Pizza and a party go together like soup and sandwich. No one ever really needs a reason to have a pizza party, just do it!
Pizza Around The World
Brazil is topped with green peas, hearts of palm, and corn.
Finland, Pizza Berlusconi, is topped off with smoked reindeer meat. None for me thanks!
Sweden is topped with bananas and curry powder. I can't imagine that taste, I may have to try it.
Australia serves pizzas topped with exotic meats such as kangaroo, emu, and crocodile. Another none for me thanks!
How To Make Another Dessert Pizza
You will need:
- 1 package of refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 package of cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 a cup of sugar
- 4 cups of fresh fruit - my favorites are strawberries, bananas, peaches, blueberries and raspberries
I like to use a round baking pan/dish that is about 15" in diameter to bake my cookie dough.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Put your cookie dough onto your baking sheet and roll it to make a giant cookie that reaches almost to the end of the circular baking sheet.
Bake your giant cookie for about 17-18 minutes. It should be barely a golden brown color. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool for ten or so minutes.
While the cookie is baking mix your cream cheese and sugar together.
When the cookie has cooled spread your cream cheese over it. Then add your fruit. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cut into triangular pizza pie slices to serve.
Can you tell I really like dessert?