Bernadyn is a writer, blogger, and social media influencer. She writes for various publications while writing for her own blog.
First Wedding Anniversary
Paper Gifts for Your First Wedding Anniversary
What's white, made of paper, practical, and useful?
Imagine your spouse oozing with excitement on your first wedding anniversary as he anticipates unwrapping the gift that marks the first year of your marriage together, only to discover he received something with no romantic value: toilet paper! Most likely, when he opens the gift to find a roll of toilet paper, it will be thrown right back at you. On the other hand, every time that gift is used, he will surely be thinking about you!
That is good, I suppose, if that is what you intended. If not, then try something else that is still simple, made of paper, and is more thoughtful while scoring you higher marks on the romance scale.
We all could use a little romance in our lives. This week, my husband mentioned that I have yet to write about him. I wanted to show him that he is worth writing about and to help me get ideas of what to say about him in the letter, I looked back on a gift I gave him on our first wedding anniversary. It was the year where traditionally, you give each other paper gifts. I made him a scrapbook photo album with photos of us together that also included cards we gave each other and ticket stubs from concerts we attended.
I wanted to put in more effort and thought into the gift that first year since we tried to keep our gift-giving small for that first anniversary. I still wanted it to be unforgettable so I went a step further and wrote a love letter to him.
I pulled out that love letter this week and I recalled the love into writing it. It was from the heart and much more personal than just giving him toilet paper. I was never going to give him toilet paper, of course, and there are plenty of other paper gift ideas that are meaningful to give your spouse.
A love letter is a sentimental idea for a gift. It is romantic and personal, which is the perfect type of gift to offer someone on your anniversary. It is something he can hold onto in the years to come. It's something he can look back on to reminisce about your beginnings together or to read when he is feeling lonely whenever you are not around.
Paper Wedding Anniversary Gifts
Tips for Writing a Love Letter
Not everyone finds it easy to write a love letter. I have written my husband several poems and a few love letters, and I still get stumped for what to write or how to write it the exact way I want it to sound. However, writing a love letter does not have to be complicated.
Here are some tips that may be useful to help you on your way to writing a meaningful love letter:
- Write from the heart.
- Be yourself. Do not try to sound like someone completely different.
- Be honest. Say how you feel but keep it nice!
- Be positive. This is not the time to give your partner doubt about your relationship. If that is how you feel, leave that for a different type of letter to write!
- Mention your past and the foundations of your relationship; where it began.and what you value from those first chapters of your journey together.
- Write about a favorite date or experience you had together and why it is special to you.
- Talk about what you love about your partner and how he makes you happy.
- Do not make the letter too long. If you feel the need to do that, think about splitting the letter into multiple letters to make a collection of love letters to give your partner at different times in your relationship.
- Tell him how much you appreciate his presence in your life.
- Mention how he has changed your life for the better.
- Include a poem by you or by a poet your partner likes. Maybe even some lines from Shakespeare if that is something your spouse enjoys.
- Tell your partner your hopes and plans for your future together.
Stop by my blog for some posts about marriage and relationships:
History of Wedding Anniversary Gifts
- "The tradition of giving specific anniversary gifts based on the number years a couple has been married dates back to the Middle Ages" (Sheri & Bob Stritof, History of Wedding Anniversary Gift Lists, About.com/Marriage, http://www.marriage.about.com).
- According to A Wedding Anniversary Guide-History, Themes, Gifts & Etiquette, "Traditionally the theme is paper which is supposed to symbolize the strength obtained from the interlocking fibers."
- The gifts couples give each other during their first few years of marriage were not expensive items but practical household items to help establish the home. (http://www.streetdirectory.com).
- "According to Anniversary Ideas, the association of different materials with wedding anniversaries began around 600 years ago in Germanic Europe, when silver and gold were linked to 25 and 50 years of marriage" (Cassandra Pope, Meaning of the Paper Anniversary, www.eHow.com).
Interested in Reading Someone Else's Love Letter?
History of Love Letters
In the article, A History of Love Letters by Laura Boyle, she explains that the Bible's Song of Solomon may be the earliest form of love letters followed by the Romans, Cicero and Pliny who wrote letters to their wives. "As a literary form, the love letter probably began in the early Renaissance."
More Ideas for Giving the Love Letter as a Gift
Treat the love letter like a true gift. After all, it is something you wrote from the heart. You put thought and effort into making it a romantic, loving gesture.
Here are some ways to add that extra touch to your love letter:
- Write or type the letter on nice paper or stationary.
- Add a ribbon to make it look more charming.
- Consider placing the letter in a photo album or scrapbook where you have pictures of you two as a couple.
- Frame the letter
- Have the letter written in calligraphy
Swooning Over Love Letters... or Not
Love Letters, a Timeless Treasure
Writing love letters for me is enjoyable and offers me a chance to sit for a moment and reminisce about all the moments we have shared as a couple. Writing a love letter requires you to take a walk down memory lane and reading that letter will give your partner the chance to repeat the walk over and over. It is a timeless treasure that he can cherish forever.
Whether you have a first wedding anniversary coming up or you just want to do something meaningful for your significant other, writing a love letter will beat out toilet paper any day! Unless, of course, you are potty-training a toddler right now who finds throwing rolls of toilet paper into the toilet bowl more fascinating than sitting on the toilet. In that case, then a large pack of toilet paper may not be such a bad idea! Slip in a sweet love letter in there somewhere!
First Wedding Anniversasry Gift Idea
Check out my other hubs about love and relationships:
- Words of Wisdom for Marriage
Marriage goes through stages and transitions just like us as individuals. We need to grow and adjust through those stages to make marriage work. Here are some tips, food for thought that may help.
- Creative Things to do with Your Partner to Keep Your Relationship/Marriage Interesting
Every relationship needs to be nurtured with love and given attention to survive. Life's daily chaos makes it hard at times to focus on it so adding in positive routines to rebuild it is important.
© 2013 Bernadyn
Bernadyn (author) from Jacksonville, Florida on September 06, 2013:
Thank you, Pearl. Enjoy your weekend :)
Connie Smith from Southern Tier New York State on September 06, 2013:
What a sweet gift idea! You always have such clever tricks up your sleeve for keeping romance and fun alive. Very nice and useful article ;) Pearl
Bernadyn (author) from Jacksonville, Florida on September 05, 2013:
Thank you, Bill, I've been feeling more romantic lately. LOL :)
Bill Holland from Olympia, WA on September 05, 2013:
Very nice idea. I can see how this would be greatly appreciated. Well done my friend.