Nachos did not exist before 1940. Can you imagine a restaurant menu without the on it? Can you imagine Super Bowl Sunday or Cinco de Mayo with out them?
I cannot remember a time when I did not know Nachos.
Who Invented Nachos?
How did Nachos come to be? One day in a restaurant in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, a customer asked the server to bring something other than the usual appetizers to her table. The server was Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya, He went into the kitchen and pieced together a new dish. He chose tortillas, added cheese and jalapeno peppers, and brought it out to the customer. When asked what it was called, he said "Nachos Special." He later went on to open his own restaurant, Nachos Restaurant in the same town. His recipe spread like wildfire in Texas and the Southwest. The rest is history. Now this spicy, simple dish has it's very own day!
How To Make Your Own Nachos
The list of ingredients you can add to your nacho dish is endless. What do you like? Throw it on there! The basic recipe is tortilla chips covered in meat, beans, cheese, and topped with olives, salsa, jalapeno peppers.
Check out one of the many Nacho recipes online and find one you've never tried before. Experiment and create your very own recipe. It's hard to go wrong with Nachos as your base. Try a dessert Nacho ... I added the link to a dessert site and I cannot wait to try it. It sounds delicious!
What Can You Put On Your Nachos?
Here is a short list of items you can top your Nachos with:
Common toppings include:
- Beans - Black, Pinto, or Refried
- Chile con queso
- Chile con carne
- Meat, which is usually ground beef but can also be steak, chicken, chorizo, carne asada, bacon, pepperoni, corned beef or even Spam.
- Jalapeno peppers or some other spicy pepper
- Hot sauce
- Black Olives
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Ranch dressing
And the cheese can be just about any cheese including
- Nacho cheese
- Monterey Jack
The Ultimate Nachos
How Do You Celebrate National Nacho Day?
There are several ways to celebrate your love of Nachos on this day set aside for them.
- If you are a Nacho lover like I am you can host a Nacho Party!
- Have a cook off with a couple teams to see who makes the best Nachos ever.
- Design Nacho T-shirts with your family and friends.
- Watch a Nacho themed movie, right now I can only think of Nacho Libre. Of course you will serve Nachos to eat while you watch the film.
Get A National Nacho Day November 6th T-Shirt
The Man Who Invented Nachos
Fun Nacho Facts - Stuff You Did Not Know About Nachos.
- According to Mobile Cuisine, Nachos are the food most craved by pregnant women. (I don't know how they know that, but I believe them.)
- In Mexico this dish is not called Nachos, it is called totopos.
- The inventor Ignacio went by the nickname Nacho.
- The recipe for Nachos is in the public domain.
- Nachos outsell popcorn (the old favorite) in stadiums across the country.
- You can still come up with your own personal recipe by adding something to the interesting mix of ingredients.
- There is a second day honoring Nachos. In Piedras Negras where Nachos were invented, October 21st is celebrated as Day of the Nacho.
2018 Guinness Record Breaking Nacho Weighs In At 5039 Pounds
What's In The Guinness Record Breaking 5039 Pound Nacho?
The record breaking Nacho was made by 20 volunteers who spread the chips, all 900 pounds of them. They topped the chips with 450 pounds of salsa, and 2200 pounds of cheese plus who knows how much beef, sour cream, beans, and spicy jalapeno peppers.
- The Winning Nacho weighed 5039 pounds
- The chips were 900 of those pounds - light as a feather tortilla chips
- The salsa weighed 450 pounds - that sure didn't come out of a jar
- The cheese weighed in at just over a ton, 2200 pounds.
- The meats, sour cream, beans and peppers weren't even measured that I could find. My quick math tells me those 3 items weighed about 1489 pounds.
- Those volunteers had to be exhausted by the time that Nacho was assembled.
I doubt that Ignacio "Nacho" Ayara had any idea his quick thinking appetizer would become one of the most popular appetizers our restaurants serve today. This man whipped this recipe up on a whim in 1940 and today it's one of the most recognized food dishes I can think of. It's also one of the most changeable. You can add anything you like to eat to it. There are even Nacho desserts to choose from on many menus.
I think I may try one of them on National Nacho Day. Just to see if I like them. UT OH - I posted a dessert Nacho recipe below and I know I am going to get into trouble with it. It sounds so good...I want it and I want a lot of it. Enjoy!
More Nacho Recipe Ideas
- Dessert Nachos
Top these irresistible dessert nachos made with homemade cinnamon sugar chips however you like! We recommend chocolate sauce, cream cheese icing, and diced strawberries! (UT OH - I may be in trouble because these sound really good!)
- Easy & Delicious Ultimate Nachos Recipe | Chef Dennis
Serve up my Ultimate Nachos at your next get-together. Your friends and family are going to love this plate of deliciousness!
- Nacho Style Smoked Sausage Links - The Food in My Beard
Jalapeno & Cheddar Smoked Sausage Links topped with nacho ingredients like cheese sauce, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Including the tortilla chips! There's a different take on the original recipe.
- Best Trash Can Nachos Recipe - How To Make Trash Can Nachos
Wow everyone with Trash Can Nachos from Delish.com.