Skip to main content

A Centenarian Bounty Is a Reward for Irish Citizens Who Reach 100 Years of Age

Sp Greaney loves sharing interesting information on topics no one ever thinks to research.

In Ireland when a man or woman reach the age of 100, they are rewarded for this achievement by the President of the country. The individual will get a reward in the form of a check from the Irish Government along with a commemorative coin.

An Irish scheme referred to as the Centenarian Bounty Scheme, means recipients are rewarded a cash gift on reaching 100 years of age and a commemorative coin when they reach 101 years of age.

Prior to receiving this gift, applicants will have to complete an application form with all of their details. They then forward this form onto the Centenarian Bounty department to be added onto their waiting list.

After an application is submitted, checked and the applicant is considered eligible, when they reach 100 years of age they will then be rewarded the cheque.

They will receive this on their birthday along with a congratulations letter signed by from the sitting President of Ireland congratulating them on reaching 100 years of age.


Centenarian Bounty Prize

This reward is open to residents living in Ireland and also to non residence that live outside Ireland. There are some stipulations though and the recepient needs to be listed first. Once the recipient meets the list of requirements set out, they will be added to the list.

The two things the recipient receives is

  • A check for €2,540
  • A letter from The President congratulating them on reaching 100 years of age

Every year after they have reached 100 years of age and on-wards they will again receive a letter from The President along with a commemorative coin for each subsequent year after.

Who is entitled to the Centenarian Bounty

To be eligible for the Centenarian Bounty reward, a recipient must be:

  1. An Irish national
  2. A foreign national who is residing in Ireland when they turn 100 years old.

However, in 2006 the government decided to make some amendments to this rule to include Irish people who had moved abroad.

They changed the policy so that those residents who currently no longer reside in Ireland on the date that they reach 100 years of age, but reside in another country, they are now entitle to apply for the Centenarian Bounty.

They just need to submit an application form to be added to the list and wait to get confirmation that they are eligible.



List of Eligibility Rules

To be eligible a recipient must fall into the following category.

  • They need to currently reside in Ireland and be in receipt of an Irish pension. If they are, then their name will be automatically forwarded to the President once they reach 100 years of age.

The Department of Social Protection office will have the current details of all applicants in receipt of a pension in their records and they will forward on these details to the relevant department.

Scroll to Continue

An inspector from the Department of Social Protection will then be sent out to verify that the information that has been submitted is correct and that the person who is eligible is actually alive and that they reside at that address.

Once this is confirmed the Centenarian Bounty will be awarded to the recipient.

If a recipient is not in receipt of the Irish pension they will need to complete the application form and submit it to the relevant department.

Number of people who have received the Centenarian Bounty






















List of Irish Embassies Abroad

Applying For The Centenarian

Apply for Centenarian Bounty outside Ireland

If the recipient reside outside Ireland they will be asked to contact their Irish diplomatic mission or the Department of Foreign Affairs so they can verify that the person is eligible for this prize.

They can send the complete application form to their nearest embassy or consulate.

Or alternatively they can forward an application form to:

Centenarian Bounty Scheme, Irish Abroad Unit, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, 80 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland.

Apply for Centenarian Bounty Scheme if you live in Ireland

If the recipient lives in Ireland they will not need to do anything to get on the list. Once they are in receipt of a pension The Department of Social Protection (DSP) will automatically deal with their application as they have all their detail on record.

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

© 2011 Sp Greaney


Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on June 20, 2013:

@ June Preston

To be honest, I would check and see if you could get it. On the application form, you just need to confirm that you are an Irish citizen born on the island of Ireland. The Dublin number you can contact to get clarification is 01 478 0822.

You need to present originals of the following items when you apply for it.

- Your Irish passport

- If your surname is different now to that at birth i.e. married, you need to provide your marriage certificate

- Provide 2 proof of residency i.e. utility bill

June Preston on June 19, 2013:

Are you entitled to this payment if you live in Northern Ireland and are Northern Irish?

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on February 06, 2012:

@sonya, That's amazing, Congrats to your nana.

sonya on February 05, 2012:

My Nana reached 100, at her party today. Love you always Nana.

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on August 22, 2011:

@ ciara, if you are an Irish citizen and you live in Northern Ireland, then yes you would be entitle to it.

ciara on August 21, 2011:

does this include northern ireland?

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on May 18, 2011:

@ skeeter747, you have a bit of irish in your blood then.

skeeter747 on May 17, 2011:

Great Hub! My great Grandparents was from Ireland.

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on May 16, 2011:

@ PhotoBabyinvites ,thank you for your comment. I'm happy the information was useful to you.

PhotoBabyInvites on May 16, 2011:

You really had the best information I have been searching for.

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on May 15, 2011:

@ Ancillotti, I'll help you find accommodation when you move :-)

It's great that the government actknowledge people for living to that age.

Ancillotti from Brasil, Vitoria - ES on May 14, 2011:

Wow! I can not believe it! There's nothing like it in Brazil! I guess I'll pack up and move to Ireland already! Hub useful. Up vote for sure!

Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on May 14, 2011:

@ bernieadkins, Ireland are great for offering free things like this to the citzens

bernieadkins from Virginia on May 14, 2011:

Very interesting information! I don't think we have anything like this in the U.S.

Related Articles