It's Halloween and you're looking for a costume, what should you be? Who should you dress up as? I think the answer is obvious: your spirit animal, Pam Poovey from Archer. This cage fighting, Yakuza hating HR director is loud, strong, and has a surprising collection of hand puppets. Who wouldn't want a Pam Poovey costume?
The good news about dressing up as Pam from Archer is that for the most part costume pieces are easy to find and put together yourself. A couple of quick trips to the store and maybe a search online and you're down in no time flat.
All images are via the series Archer and used according to fair use rules.
Basic Pam Poovey Costume
When Pam is working her day job at ISIS as the company's head of HR, she likes to wear a smart business attire. As you can see in the example to the right, she typically a blouse/skirt combo. When wearing her work clothes, Pam is almost never seen without her string of pearls and flower brooch. Her school marm-ish appearance belies her bawdy attitude and take no prisoners approach to life.
Here's a few tips for creating a good Pam Cosplay
- Pastels, Pastels, Pastels - Typically, Pam will wear a peach colored blouse. This does change occasionally from episode to episode. However, it is almost guaranteed she will be wearing a light, pastel colored top with a white belt. When putting together a Pam Poovey outfit, think springtime! Peach, pink, teal, light green - that's Pam.
- Don't forget the belt - Pam is all about accessories. Pam sets off her simple blouse and skirt with a large white belt
- Jewelry, always jewelry - Pam keeps is classy. Her string of white pearls, tasteful earrings and flower brooch are a constant. Pick up a few pieces of cheap costume jewelry if you don't have any of your own that fit the description.
- Put your hair up - Pam maintains a sensible hairstyle. Put it up with a few pins and you're good to go.
- Puppets - Pam's work in HR often necessitates the use of puppets to help her coworkers work out their feelings. Find a dolphin hand puppet and bring it along to complete the look.
Pit Fighter Pam Poovey
Pam isn't always the nice lady at the office. She has a history of earning her keep as a professional cage fighter. If you're looking for a more unique Pam costume that is still iconic, why not try this simple variation.
In fact, this Pam Poovey costume might just be the easiest costume to put together in the world. Here's what you need:
- A white tank top
- Sweat pants or comfortable khakis
- Hand wrappings
That's it! You're covered. You might want to spice it up with some blood effects. Food coloring or fake blood should do the trick.
What does Pam's Tattoo Say?
Pam's tattoo is from Lord Byron's poem "The Destruction of Sennacherib"
For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!
Making Pam Poovey's Back Tattoo
Although it is typically concealed by her clothing, Pam has some serious ink. If you're dressing up as Pam in "Fight Club" mode, you might want to go the extra mile and replicate her back tattoo under the tank top.
Now, a typical party won't involve you taking your entire shirt off, so consider trying on the tank top you're going to use before hand and marking an area around the parts where skin is visible. This will be where bits and pieces of the tattoo will go.
You'll probably need the help of a friend or loved one to get the back tattoo on correctly.
If you know someone skilled at henna or calligraphy, they might be able to put your tattoo on by hand. However, for most people it will probably be easier to use a temporary tattoo kit. Luckily, Pam's gothic-styled lettering is easy to replicate using press on tattoos. Check out the link below for a good temporary tattoo that is perfect for mimicking Pam's ink.
Temporary tattoos will come out after a shower or two. Just be sure to give them a good scrubbing to make sure it comes out! If you have a beach trip the any time soon after applying them, you might get a few odd looks from strangers if you aren't careful.
That's it for Pam! Leave any of your questions or comments below and let me know how your Pam costume turned out!
If you're looking for archer group costumes, check out these other Archer Halloween costume guides!