Decorating the Christmas tree is a wonderful tradition for the family. I love how a tree reflects your own personality.
Get Inspiration for a Patriotic Holiday Tree
Show your patriotism by decorating a red, white, and blue Christmas tree this year. Get ideas to turn your tree into a tribute to veterans or a celebration of your political passions or just to honor being an American. This tree can be for Christmas or why not decorate one for other special days like Veteran's Day, the 4th of July, Labor Day, and Flag Day.
The ideas here would be great for a VA Hospital or a military museum as well.
Video of an All-American Decorated Tree
Ideas for a Red, White, And Blue Holiday Tree
Remember those white Christmas trees from your childhood? One of those would be the perfect base for a patriotic theme. The red, white, and blue ribbons and ornaments would show up well on the white tree branches. An alternate idea would be to take an artificial tree and spray paint it blue for the background for your All-American celebration.
Tuck some flags all over the tree. Put on a string of red lights and another one of red. Paint some wooden star ornaments gold to add to the tree. Even the old-fashioned paper chains could be made with alternating loops in patriotic colors. It doesn't have to be expensive to look fabulous.
Use Lots of Red, White, And Blue in Your Decorating
Candy Canes Add Lots of Red And White on the Tree
Here are some sites with some trees to give you ideas.
- The Veteran's Site News features 15 decorated trees: A Christmas Tree Salute! 15 of YOUR Patriotic Christmas Trees In One Merry List!
Add Lots of Stars - Red, White, Blue, Gold, And Even Glass
More Ideas for the All-American Christmas Tree
Things to Make
- Cut out star designs from cardboard, spray with craft glue, and sprinkle silver glitter or gold glitter on the stars. Nestle these in the branches or hang them with ribbon.
- You can buy faux poinsettia blossoms in red and even in white. Place those generously around the tree for splashes of red and white. I doubt that you can find blue poinsettias, so if you want those, use blue spray paint on some of the flowers.
- For the tree skirt, you can use a plain red one or put two of those swags in flag designs that people use on their porches for July 4th.
- Patriotic symbols such as eagles, Uncle Sam, flags, and the Statue of Liberty can all be featured in ornaments on your tree.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Virginia Allain
Tell Me Your Ideas for an All-American Christmas Tree
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on November 22, 2020:
Those are some clever ideas to decorate Christmas trees with a patriotic theme. People are decorating earlier than ever this year!
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on November 22, 2020:
Great idea for an American patriotic-themed Christmas. May also be an opportunity for a fun history revision. Have family members and visitors guess names of portraits which are placed without names. Merry Christmas in advance!