K S Lane has been an avid reader and writer her entire life and is passionate about helping others to improve their own written skills.
Coming up with a heartfelt, original message to send to a friend on their birthday can be difficult. After all, you don't want to recycle the same messages every year. Deciding what sort of message you should send an acquaintance or colleague versus a close friend can be a challenge too. Should you make a joke? Talk about a precious memory? There's just too many options! To help you out, this article lists 50 short birthday messages that you can send to a best friend, to a good friend, an acquaintance, or even a work colleague, so you can stop fiddling around with wording and give your friend a birthday message that will make them smile.
Birthday Messages for your Best Friends
For a best friend birthday messages should be a bit longer, and maybe even include an inside joke. You should explain how much the person means to you and reflect on a funny memory or story that's happened in the past year. For example:
- Happy Birthday, (name). You've really been here for me throughout all of my highs and lows this year and I can't wait to see what next year has in store for us! Here's to another great year of friendship!
- Wow, another year past already! I hope you have a great birthday, (name), and that your day turns out better than ours did when we (insert funny story).
- Hope you have a great birthday, (name). You probably already know that you mean the world to me, but I just wanted to remind you how special and fantastic you are and thank you again for being such a supportive friend this year.
- Hey, (name), wondering if you could help me out? I think that there's something important happening today, but I can't remember what it is. Some kind of public holiday, or an anniversary or... HA, just kidding! I'd never forget your birthday! Hope you have a great day and I can't wait to catch up later and learn about all the mischief you've been up to since I last saw you!
- Eeeek! It's your birthday, (name)!! I hope you have the most fantastic day ever, and I'll be around this afternoon to eat all of your cake (just kidding... maybe). Thanks for being the best friend that anyone could dream of and hopefully the awesome present that I got you will repay some of your kindness (fingers crossed!).
- Happy Birthday, (name)!! I can't believe that we've been friends for (X) years now! Watching you grow and change has been a blessing, and I look forward to plenty more years to come. Have a fantastic day, and I hope we can see each other again soon!
- Congratulations, you're another year older! How does it feel to be one step closer to knitting on your porch surrounded by cats? Happy Birthday, (name)! Make sure to go out tonight and have some fun; pretty soon you're going to be too old for alcohol and loud music. Thanks for being such a great friend!
- Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear.... ugh, I can't be bothered typing out the rest; you get the idea. Happy Birthday, (name)! Thanks for being the best friend that anyone could hope for over the past few years. Can't wait to see you for your party tonight!
- It's that time of year again... your birthday! I hope you have a great day, (name), and thanks so much for everything you've done for me over the years. I'm proud to call you my best friend.
- You know that I'm not very good at sappy messages, but it's your birthday so I think I'll make an exception. I hope you have the best birthday ever, (name). Your friendship and loyalty mean so much to me and I hope that the year to come is just as crazy and exciting as this year was. You deserve so much happiness, and I truly hope that you get everything you wish for this year.
- Happy Birthday, (name)! Phew, you're getting old! What's this one- your 80th? 90th? I can't remember! I hope you have a great day today, you old (woman/man), and I can't wait to catch up soon and talk about all of the birthday mischief that I'm sure you're going to get up to. Thanks for being such an amazing best friend, and here's to another 365 days of crazy adventures!
- Happy Birthday, dude! Wow, (age) already! If I were you, I'd start lying and saying that I'm younger pretty soon. I hope you have a fantastic day, like that time when we (insert funny story). Your friendship means the world to me and I hope you get everything that I know you deserve in the year to come!
Birthday Messages for your Good Friends
For good friends making a joke or referencing a story is still appropriate, but the more personal declarations of friendship or recounts of past struggles should probably be left for your best friends. The ideal birthday message for a good friend is friendly and kind, but can also have a sarcastic or funny spin depending on the nature of your friendship. For example,
- I heard on the grapevine that it's a certain someone's birthday today... YOURS! Happy Birthday, (name)! I hope you have an awesome day and year to come!
- Wow, you're another year older already! Did you check for grey hairs in the mirror this morning? If not, you'd better go do it right now! Happy Birthday, (name), and I hope you have a great, grey-hair free day!
- Happy Birthday, (name)! I can't believe that it's come around again so quickly! I could have sworn that it's only been a year since the last one... oh, wait.
- Hey, guess what? Today you're one year closer to being dead than you were on your last birthday. Isn't that a great fact? Enjoy the rest of your special day, (name)!
- Have a fantastic birthday today, (name)! I hope next year turns out to be just as great as this year was!
- I was just going to post on your Facebook wall, but this seemed like a better idea instead. Happy Birthday, (name)! Have a fantastic day and year to come!
- Happy Birthday! Phew, I almost forgot! Hope we can catch up soon; I've missed seeing you!
- Happy Birthday, (name)! I baked you a cake and tried to put candles on it, but it turns out that there wasn't enough space. You're really racking up the years, buddy! Hope you have a great day!
- Have the Happiest Birthday today, (name)! I'm sad that I can't be there with you- make sure to eat some cake for me! Really looking forward to some more crazy adventures with you this year.
- Happy Birthday, (name)! Tonight is the one night of the year that you can go absolutely crazy and no one can judge you for it, so make sure you go all-out!
- Congratulations on making it through another year! You're now (X) years away from hitting 100- isn't that fun to know?
- Enjoy your birthday, (name). You're a great friend and I can't wait to see you again soon!
- Have a great birthday today, (name). You're a pretty great friend, as far as friends go. Thanks for everything you've done for me over the years!
Birthday Messages for your Acquaintances
For personal acquaintances and friends-of-friends, a simpler and shorter birthday message is usually best. The ideal message should convey warmth and friendliness, but not to an over-extent. For example,
- Happy Birthday, (name)! Congrats on making it another year!
- I hope you have a great birthday, (name)! Looking forward to seeing you again soon!
- Hey, (name)! Happy Birthday!
- Happy Birthday! Many happy returns and I hope we can catch up soon!
- Happy Birthday, (name)! I hope that all your birthday wishes come true!
- Hey there, (name), I hear that it's your birthday today! Many happy returns for the occasion and I hope we can go for coffee again sometime soon!
- Wishing you the Happiest Birthday today, (name)! I hope we can get to know each other better in the coming year.
- Have a great birthday today, (name)! Looking forward to seeing you at your party later!
- (Mutual friend) told me that it's your birthday today! Hope you have a great day and eat lots of cake!
- Happy Birthday, (name)! I hope you have lots of fun on your special day.
- Facebook told me that it's your birthday today! I hope you have a great day, (name), and I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon!
- Warmest wishes for your birthday today, (name)! I hope you and your family enjoy this happy occasion.
- Best wishes for your birthday today, (name)! Try not to get too rowdy tonight!
Birthday Messages for your Colleagues
For work-specific friends, it's a good idea to send a birthday message that references your job or mutual colleagues somehow, since that's the point of similarity that you share. For even more professional contacts or for your boss messages should be kept friendly but be written in a more formal tone (no joking around!). For example,
- Wishing you the Happiest of Birthdays today, (name).
- I hope you have a wonderful birthday today, (name). I'm looking forward to seeing you back at work tomorrow/on Monday.
- Many happy returns on your birthday today, (name).
- Happy Birthday, (name). Wishing you all the best.
- You've been a great colleague to work with this year, (name). I hope you have the Happiest of Birthdays today!
- Happy Birthday for today, (name), and I'm wishing you all the best for the year to come.
- Have a very Happy Birthday today, (name). You've been a pleasure to work with over the past few months/years.
- Have the Happiest of Birthdays today, (name).
- Happy Birthday, (name)! Take the day off today- you deserve it!
- Happy Birthday, (name). I hope you're able to find peace, fulfilment and prosperity in the year to come.
- Have a very Happy Birthday today, (name). I'm sure that this will be the year you land that big promotion!
- I've really enjoyed working with you over the past year, (name). Happy Birthday from me and everyone else at the office!
And there we have it; 50 birthday messages to send to a friend, acquaintance, or colleague. I hope you found the perfect birthday congratulations on this list, and I hope that your friend smiles when they read your funny and heartfelt (if not entirely original) message.
© 2018 K S Lane
K S Lane (author) from Melbourne, Australia on December 21, 2018:
Pamela- I totally agree. The kind of birthday message you end up choosing depends a lot on your relationship to the person
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on December 21, 2018:
There are certainly a lot of great choices for a birthday message. For some people I like sincere and for others humor seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the great suggestions.